Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HEAVY LF/ULF Quick Release Mechanism and Plates

Re: HEAVY LF/ULF Quick Release Mechanism and Plates

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    @Chris,

Where's the film magazine go ?

Sweet looking setup, definitely not your average joe handicam
    I know it was a "where's the film" joke but I'll answer anyway. Under the "Arri" label, where that tab of red tape is, it takes SxS solid state memory cards. 32Gb gets you 14 minutes at 24fps.

I think I took this while we were waiting for talent to shoot the title sequence for "Chloe and Lamar."

These look similar to the Miller QR system used on their ENG heads, do you know if they are interchangeable? I own a Sony HDW-730s (for my real job) and would love some sort of system I can use to replace the standard tripod plates. Even it it means removing the dovetail on the bottom of my camera. I have an Alexa on the way too so that a double plus.

They are not interchangeable. They're the same idea but the miller plates are much smaller and the RBQ holds much more weight.

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    They are not interchangeable. They're the same idea but the miller plates are much smaller and the RBQ holds much more weight.
    Ok, thanks. It's hard to tell the size from the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    The size of the plate for the RBQ is 120mm by 80mm. The entire device is 92mm wide, 174mm long (not including the lever, that protrudes another 20mm or so), by 17mm thick.

Here's mine mounted up on the gitzo No.4 head I received today:

-Chris

every time i do a google search for quick release plates cd keth shows up on a different forum. you've gotta be my biggest fan! thanks.

for anybody interested in my quick releases, you can check out my website:

www.cleanscamerasupport.com

coming soon we will have mini-quick releases which are 3" x 5-1/4" long with a touch & go measuring 2-1/2” x 3”.

both sizes of my quick release plates are compatible with existing ronford baker large & small quick releases.

cheers!
    dave

A slightly cheaper moderately-quick-release might be to adapt telescope optical tube assembly dovetail mounts, which tend to be brand specific (eg, Losmandy may not fit Vixen may not fit....) The OTAs can reach up to 60 pounds in higher-end hobbyist-grade telescopes mounted on semi-high-end hobbyist equatorial mounts. Basically, these are large versions of Arca-Swiss-style plates and clamps. Plates are quite long, because there are at least two ring brackets on the plate holding the OTA to the plate. You might be able to get two clamps and one long plate for about $200.00. Consult your local astronomy club. There are likely to be a lot of DIY types who could help you with information. Amateur astronomy attracts engineer types who like hand-crafting lenses, building custom mounts, etc.