Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which film for landscapes/portraits?

Which film for landscapes/portraits?

I've never been able to understand why photographers recommend to others their p ersonal EI for certain films, or why photographers blindly accept others' recomm endations. (This also applies to everyone's favorite film/developer/developmen t time combinations, as well as a host of other recommendations.)

I am not saying that anyone's recommendation here is incorrect. It's just that one's own personal experience does not necessarily apply to anyone else's camera /lightmeter/metering method/etc.

Determining one's "best EI" for a color transparency film (like Velvia) is so si mple. Just make several consecutive exposures of the same scene, using your nor mal metering/exposure methods (incident, spot, reflected, center-weighted, 3-D m atrix, or whatever), at several EI settings on your meter (40, 50, 64, 80, and s o on).

Develop these, lay them side-by-side on a light-table, and make YOUR OWN DECISIO N. Which EI setting do YOU like best? Remember it, and use it.

Everyone's equipment and metering methods are unique, so why should their EI set tings correspond to yours? Trust your own opinions. Sorry about the diatribe, I guess I'm just feeling cranky today.

Im glad someone said that.....!

Stupid question alert!!!

When some one is shooting velvia at iso 40 are they simply over exposing the film or are they also adjusting the developing as well?