PDA

View Full Version : Negatives from Fuji FP-100c

photonsoup
10-Feb-2013, 20:17
I'm pretty new to large format, but I am having fun with photography again!

Does anyone have any experience with the Fuji instant films?

I recently shot some, recovered the color negs and made some B&W contact prints with them. I actually liked B&W more.

At about $.90 a shot from Amazon it's less than some film, more than others. Of course the film is smaller. Would it still be considered LF, or is it closer to MF?

It's quicker to wipe off the black stuff with bleach than to develop negatives, and I can see what I'm doing.

The instant prints are nice because it makes it easier to figure out what I did wrong! I screwed up some negatives the other day and couldn't figure out what I did wrong until I tried to reshoot the subject a few days latter and realized how I did it. It drove me nuts until the mystery was solved.

Downside though, here in Montana, it's to cold to use them outside this time of year.

amac212
11-Feb-2013, 06:17
Great job! I find the removal of the black backing hit or miss and getting a non-streaky, uniformly clear negative less likely than an "artful' negative. ;)

I screwed up some negatives the other day and couldn't figure out what I did wrong until I tried to reshoot the subject a few days latter and realized how I did it. It drove me nuts until the mystery was solved.

Oh? Care to share what has worked for you?

photonsoup
11-Feb-2013, 09:08
Great job! I find the removal of the black backing hit or miss and getting a non-streaky, uniformly clear negative less likely than an "artful' negative. ;)

Oh? Care to share what has worked for you?

In the quote you copied I was actually referring to a mistake I made with some Kodak film that I totally exposed by leaving the spring back propped open. If I was using the instant film I would have figured it out after the first shot. Instead I took 5 shots and didn't know I'd goofed up until I got home and tried to develop them!

I assume you'd like to know what worked for me on the Fuji instant. I just let the negative totally dry with the chemical goop and everything still on it. Then remove the paper parts and discard them. Then I tape it to a piece of glass (out of a picture frame), emulsion side down. I use quality electrical tape and make sure its sealed well, especially where it overlaps another piece of tape on the corners. Wipe all the black off with clorox and q-tips until there is none left. Rinse,remove tape, carefully wash the emulsion side clean in running water (I just rub gently with my fingers), and hang to dry. I read that some people use the clorox gel and I will try that someday.

jp
11-Feb-2013, 10:08
Clorox gel works great.

In the extreme cold, I just put the used film in my inside-jacket pocket and separate them later.

photonsoup
11-Feb-2013, 21:20
Clorox gel works great.

In the extreme cold, I just put the used film in my inside-jacket pocket and separate them later.

I've wondered about that, I tested some at home and waited 2 hours to separate with no noticeable ill affects. Any idea how cold they can get before the chemicals freeze?