PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying Linhof Technika Large format camera

whitepointphoto
10-Feb-2013, 19:40
Hi there,

I am trying to identify Linhof Technika Large format camera in order to help a friend ind a good home for it. I know a bit about cameras but absolutely nothing about LF gear.

I have a attached an image that I hope this esteemed forum can help me identify which Master Technika it may be.

Thank you in advance,

David

Bill_1856
10-Feb-2013, 21:11
"V"

BTMarcais
11-Feb-2013, 00:01
Yup, what Bill said. Not a Master Technika at all, it's a Super Technika V.

-Brian

Bob Salomon
11-Feb-2013, 01:35
Super Technika V I can tell you when it was made from the serial number which is on the accessory shoe.

mortensen
11-Feb-2013, 05:18
+1 to a Tech V
bought a similar one used this summer - outstanding machine! your specimen looks like it is in great shape and if the bellows is free of pinholes, it should easily bring in $1000 or more. Everyone should try owning a Technika!

Jac@stafford.net
11-Feb-2013, 09:31
Yes, it is a Super Technika model V. Check that auction site for completed, sold auctions for values.

One thing that effects value is whether it has the proper lens cam. The rangefinder is not useful
unless the cam matches the camera and lens. If you wish we can find pictures to show you how
to check it and what to look for.

Bob S? Care to explain for the 1000th time the cam, lens, camera issue? :)

whitepointphoto
12-Feb-2013, 20:42
Awesome thanks for the responses.

I have no idea where to look for the cams so any help here is appreciated.

Here's some more images if that help.893218932289322

Yes, it is a Super Technika model V. Check that auction site for completed, sold auctions for values.

One thing that effects value is whether it has the proper lens cam. The rangefinder is not useful
unless the cam matches the camera and lens. If you wish we can find pictures to show you how
to check it and what to look for.

Bob S? Care to explain for the 1000th time the cam, lens, camera issue? :)

Bill_1856
12-Feb-2013, 21:55
Looks like it does have a cam (you can just see the image of a piece of a shiny thing through the big hole on the front track).

Jac@stafford.net
13-Feb-2013, 09:37
For the V model, the focusing cam should have a number on it which matches the serial number of the lens.

Bob Salomon
13-Feb-2013, 09:49
Extend the bed till it clears the cam. The cam is stamped with the focal length and the serial number of the lens that it was cut for. If it was cut for the V or later then there will not be a serial number on the bottom of the cam. If there is a serial number on the bottom, or if the top number does not match your lens or the focal length on the cam is different then the focal length of your lens then the cam will not work properly with your camera.

On the focusing rail of your camera there should be pop-up infinity stops. That is the point that you have to pull the front standard out to to properly reach infinity with a cam coupled lens. Your cam probably has a colored number for the focal length. If so you use the infinity stop that is the same color.

whitepointphoto
13-Feb-2013, 16:37
Thank you everyone. Extremely helpful and now know the camera is a Super Techika V, it has a 150mm cam installed which matches the lens and there a re three infinity stops.

Once my thirty days is up I will post on this forum for sale. I also have a Schneider 5.6/47 Super Angulon in astounding condition that I will also try to sell.

Cheers gentlemen.

David

Extend the bed till it clears the cam. The cam is stamped with the focal length and the serial number of the lens that it was cut for. If it was cut for the V or later then there will not be a serial number on the bottom of the cam. If there is a serial number on the bottom, or if the top number does not match your lens or the focal length on the cam is different then the focal length of your lens then the cam will not work properly with your camera.

On the focusing rail of your camera there should be pop-up infinity stops. That is the point that you have to pull the front standard out to to properly reach infinity with a cam coupled lens. Your cam probably has a colored number for the focal length. If so you use the infinity stop that is the same color.

raknight
28-Aug-2017, 15:15
I recently acquired a Linhof 4x5 Super Technika, which I know nothing about. I'd like to know the model, date manufactured, etc. The number on the bottom of the accessory shoe is 36444. I think that might be the serial number. But there's another number on the cam, below the f=150mm. It is 3098915. I'm not sure if that is a serial number. I have three lenses, a hand-held grip, several filters, film cartridges, etc. The camera is in superb condition!

I'm trying to find a home for it. And would like any information about value. EBay seems to have prices that vary greatly, from almost $10,000, down to a few hundred. I think that I prefer to sell it locally (in the Boston area) if anyone has suggestions. Thanks for anyone's help on this.

Bob Salomon
28-Aug-2017, 15:25
I recently acquired a Linhof 4x5 Super Technika, which I know nothing about. I'd like to know the model, date manufactured, etc. The number on the bottom of the accessory shoe is 36444. I think that might be the serial number. But there's another number on the cam, below the f=150mm. It is 3098915. I'm not sure if that is a serial number. I have three lenses, a hand-held grip, several filters, film cartridges, etc. The camera is in superb condition!

I'm trying to find a home for it. And would like any information about value. EBay seems to have prices that vary greatly, from almost $10,000, down to a few hundred. I think that I prefer to sell it locally (in the Boston area) if anyone has suggestions. Thanks for anyone's help on this.
That is a 1953 Technica III. The serial number on the top of the cam has to match the serial number of your lens. The serial number on the bottom of your cam must match the serial number of your camera. No match? Then your cam is basically scrap metal and will not focus correctly at all distances.

GregMarinovich
23-Dec-2018, 07:51
Hi all, I have a rather mysterious Technika III 4x5 that does not seem to match most descriptions.

I apologize in advance for all the questions.

The serial number is 41745 (cam has same number - yay!). It has only the right hand side focusing. It does not have any swing or tilt capabilities that I can see (unlike my former Master tech that got nicked). The lovely deeply curved grip to pull the lens standard forward onto the focusing rail (see photo) - I cannot see any way to tilt / shift lens here. Also cannot find a ref to this version (maybe it is a bastardized camera?) The rangefinder seems to suggest it is (according to Camera Quest site) version 2 of 1950, but serial number does not match if this sequence is right.
"Version 2 of 1950 Flash bracket introduced on RF housing. RF housing now angled rather than squared design. Body still square. Serial #'s started 30001."
"Version 3 of 1951 Body now has curved edges. Ending Serial # 37104."
(soon after posting this I found the answer to this from Bob Salomon on a diff thread - US pared down version 1950-1954 -- thank you Bob!)

Then maybe some other advice: The zone focus aid has two clicks stops as one pulls it out - yet when I use ground glass to calibrate it - it needs to be on 10 feet marking to be on infinity on ground glass. I guess that means that the notch in focus bed has been filed for a different lens? (have a Goerz dagor 6 inch currently on it). If I have made the right assumption, is there a how to on filing a notch in correct place.

And where can find a guide to setting Range Finder, which is also off?

Lastly, can anyone help me identify the lens - 811576 6 inch f6.8 CP Goerz AM. OPT. CO Dagor with a copper rim which I think is the gold rimmed type, but i am unsure.

many thanks

Bob Salomon
23-Dec-2018, 13:11
Hi all, I have a rather mysterious Technika III 4x5 that does not seem to match most descriptions.

I apologize in advance for all the questions.

The serial number is 41745 (cam has same number - yay!). It has only the right hand side focusing. It does not have any swing or tilt capabilities that I can see (unlike my former Master tech that got nicked). The lovely deeply curved grip to pull the lens standard forward onto the focusing rail (see photo) - I cannot see any way to tilt / shift lens here. Also cannot find a ref to this version (maybe it is a bastardized camera?) The rangefinder seems to suggest it is (according to Camera Quest site) version 2 of 1950, but serial number does not match if this sequence is right.
"Version 2 of 1950 Flash bracket introduced on RF housing. RF housing now angled rather than squared design. Body still square. Serial #'s started 30001."
"Version 3 of 1951 Body now has curved edges. Ending Serial # 37104."
(soon after posting this I found the answer to this from Bob Salomon on a diff thread - US pared down version 1950-1954 -- thank you Bob!)

Then maybe some other advice: The zone focus aid has two clicks stops as one pulls it out - yet when I use ground glass to calibrate it - it needs to be on 10 feet marking to be on infinity on ground glass. I guess that means that the notch in focus bed has been filed for a different lens? (have a Goerz dagor 6 inch currently on it). If I have made the right assumption, is there a how to on filing a notch in correct place.

And where can find a guide to setting Range Finder, which is also off?

Lastly, can anyone help me identify the lens - 811576 6 inch f6.8 CP Goerz AM. OPT. CO Dagor with a copper rim which I think is the gold rimmed type, but i am unsure.

many thanks

Your cam must have the serial number of the lens on one side and of the camera on the other side. If not the rangefinder will not couple properly as the cam was not cut for that camera/lens combination.
Additionally the focal length stamped on the cam must match the focal length of your lens.