PDA

View Full Version : Calumet CC-400 ... Greasy?

Too Many Cameras
10-Feb-2013, 01:32
I got a Calumet CC-400 a while back but have been reticent to use it. All works fine and all, but it's greasy. I wiped the whole things down with paper towels (there was minimal noticeable towel translucency) and it was fine for a couple days. Then, the grease came back. It's stored in its wood box with no lenses or anything else. The box has no lining.

Are there any chemicals that are safe to use to remove this greasyness? I don't know what it's from (maybe oil coming out of the paint? or grease from the swivels?), so I haven't been willing to try anything other than dry cleaning media.

I have a 402, so I'm not without an LF camera or anything, but I would like to get the 400 in a condition where I can use it without having to wash my hands with soap periodically. The grease that's on my fingers after using it has a slightly dark color and seems to be worse along the bottom of the camera.

Is this a common occurrence?

Daniel Stone
10-Feb-2013, 02:56
Can you completely disassemble it, clean everything down and reassemble?

-Dan

John Kasaian
10-Feb-2013, 09:08
This is wierd!
Can you pinpoint where the grease is migrating from? Maybe if you can pin it down it will spare you from a complete dismantle. Formula 409 is a good general purpose cleaner. If you need something stronger Outer's Nitro Solvent gun solvent works very well. Whatever you do, don't use Brake fluid 'cause it would probably strip the paint off.

Too Many Cameras
10-Feb-2013, 13:45
I'll check it out tonight and see if I can figure out the source. I can say for sure it's on the top and sides, though.

I have some 409 under the kitchen cabinet. I've been afraid to use any commercial degreasers.

Mike Anderson
10-Feb-2013, 17:31
Is their grease in the area that acts the shift/swing bearing, where it slides around? That seems a likely seize up spot that someone might have greased. But it's not normal to have grease there, I think.

Too Many Cameras
11-Feb-2013, 00:37
Found the source: someone greased the monorail.