PDA

View Full Version : Ziplocks for Holders?

mcjeff65
8-Feb-2013, 21:16
I'd love to keep my 4x5 holders in ziplock bags. I've seen this advice all over and seems like a good idea. Question. Where the heck are people finding bags? The recommended quart bags all seem to be about and inch short and the gallon bags are way to big. Suggestions?

mike rosenlof
8-Feb-2013, 21:39
quart size freezer bag have always worked for me.

Roger Cole
8-Feb-2013, 21:45
Quart bags will not fit the Riteways with the locking dark slides, though they will fit other types of 4x5 holders.

I use 6x9 anti static bags, which are pretty much perfect for my Riteway holders:

http://www.uline.com/BL_7852/2-Mil-Anti-Static-Reclosable-Bags

kbrede
9-Feb-2013, 06:50
Noob question. Why do people put there holders in plastic bags.
Thanks,

Noah A
9-Feb-2013, 06:55
I put mine in gallon freezer bags, but I put multiple holders (usually 5) in each.

Kent, I use them to offer a bit of protection against dust and also to help protect them from accidental darkslide pulls in the bag.

mikebarger
9-Feb-2013, 07:12
I do the same as Noah, sometimes six per bag/generally five

mike

bobwysiwyg
9-Feb-2013, 07:25
Noob question. Why do people put there holders in plastic bags.
Thanks,

You go to great lengths to clean holders before loading them (or should) so you want to keep them as clean and dust free as possible. Dust on the outside 'will ' find its way inside with use.

mikebarger
9-Feb-2013, 07:37
The five in a ziplock then fit nicely in a SAW 200 round ammunition pouch attached to the side of my back pack

ShawnHoke
9-Feb-2013, 10:16
Yeah,in always use one gallon ziplocks for multiple 4x5 holders and two gallon bags for 8x10 holders. Can't imagine just tossing them into my dusty camera bags.

jp
9-Feb-2013, 10:33
I use antistatic ziplocks (not the brand name) found on Ebay. Got a lifetime supply and they hold 2-3 holders.

Joseph Dickerson
9-Feb-2013, 10:40
I did use Zip-Locks on one trip years ago (photo trip, I promise...:rolleyes:) and had more problems with dust, due to static, than ever before. I now use the pink anti-static bags with no issues so far.

I think I ordered mine from U-Line but there are tons of other sources. They are basically designed for circuit boards and the like.

JD

Roger Cole
9-Feb-2013, 11:25
Yeah,in always use one gallon ziplocks for multiple 4x5 holders and two gallon bags for 8x10 holders. Can't imagine just tossing them into my dusty camera bags.

Yes, they will, and I used to do this. It's a lot better than no bag, but every time you take one out some dust will get on it, and then you put it back in and contaminate the others. Individual bags are much better.

Jerry Bodine
9-Feb-2013, 11:28
I'd love to keep my 4x5 holders in ziplock bags. I've seen this advice all over and seems like a good idea. Question. Where the heck are people finding bags? The recommended quart bags all seem to be about and inch short and the gallon bags are way to big. Suggestions?

Individual bags are definitely best. If you choose to put several in one bag, e.g., six 4x5 Fidelity Deluxe holders will fit in 4-mil pink (anti-static) "Seal Top Bags, 9x12", from a local Seattle source:

Gary Claunch
GRC Enterprises
staticbags.com
Seattle, WA

For specific details/info, click on these links on his home page:
- Pink Zipper Variety
- 2 mil, 4 mil & Seal-Top (4 mil)

He offers many sizes & types for many purposes and will send you samples for a very modest charge, and I found this to be a good idea as I changed some sizes as a result of the samples I requested for 5x7 and 8x10 holders.

Also a good idea, if you plan to drive to higher elevations into dusty environments, it's a good idea to put the bagged holders in a separate container to minimize dust entry. The bags are not air-tight and will "breathe" somewhat at the end of the "zip" due to ambient pressure changes, but not enough to unzip.

chassis
9-Feb-2013, 11:33
I use quart ziplock bags. I do it because I believe it help keeps them free(er) of dust.

Sal Santamaura
9-Feb-2013, 12:35
The pink anti-static bags are still made from LDPE, just like "regular" ziploc bags. They don't create a static charge, but won't dissipate any charge on what one places in them. In addition, they can outgas and exude residue like regular bags.

For 4x5, I use 6x10-inch 3M SCC 1000 bags. They're a laminate of polyester and aluminum, physically tough, absolutely inert / vapor tight, create no static and dissipate any charge on the holder when it's placed in them. I bought mine many years ago, but just found this source on line:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-3M-SCC-1000-Static-Shielding-Bags-6-x-10-Zip-Top-/150303230213

There are 6x8-inch ziploc SCC-1000 bags made, but those aren't long enough for any but the shortest (Toyo) 4x5 holders. I prefer to have a little extra length, which makes fitting one's hand inside to grasp the holder easier.

Jerry Bodine
9-Feb-2013, 13:19
Sal, that's good to know. There are 6x8 and larger ziploc SCC-1000 bags available at the website mentioned in post #13 (maybe it needs to be said that I have no connection with that site).

Sal Santamaura
9-Feb-2013, 14:37
...There are 6x8 and larger ziploc SCC-1000 bags available at the website mentioned in post #13 (maybe it needs to be said that I have no connection with that site).Nor do I have any connection with the eBay seller linked to in post #15. Coincidentally, looking closely at both, they're one and the same source. :D:D

danno@cnwl.igs
9-Feb-2013, 16:36
I use 6x9 anti static bags:

http://www.uline.com/BL_7852/2-Mil-Anti-Static-Reclosable-Bags

+1

Jim Andrada
9-Feb-2013, 23:33
I use 3 different formats and looking at the Uline link it seems it will be pretty pricey to by three different sizes - and I'd be long gone before using 1000 in total.

Anyone interested in going in together to split a carton of bags? Or selling a hundred or so out of the 1000 per carton?

Roger Cole
10-Feb-2013, 09:31
The pink anti-static bags are still made from LDPE, just like "regular" ziploc bags. They don't create a static charge, but won't dissipate any charge on what one places in them. In addition, they can outgas and exude residue like regular bags.

For 4x5, I use 6x10-inch 3M SCC 1000 bags. They're a laminate of polyester and aluminum, physically tough, absolutely inert / vapor tight, create no static and dissipate any charge on the holder when it's placed in them. I bought mine many years ago, but just found this source on line:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-3M-SCC-1000-Static-Shielding-Bags-6-x-10-Zip-Top-/150303230213

There are 6x8-inch ziploc SCC-1000 bags made, but those aren't long enough for any but the shortest (Toyo) 4x5 holders. I prefer to have a little extra length, which makes fitting one's hand inside to grasp the holder easier.

What does the outgassing harm? Serious question - I never found the regular ziplocks to harm anything, it's just that my Riteways won't fit in quart ones, I didn't like putting multiple holders in gallon ones, and putting one holder each in gallon bags resulted in a lot of extra folded plastic.

Sal Santamaura
10-Feb-2013, 10:20
The pink anti-static bags...can outgas and exude residue like regular bags...

What does the outgassing harm?...I noted the outgassing to be complete. I've not had it harm anything, but like to avoid subjecting film to unknown gasses if possible just as a good practice.

The more important downside is that, after a while, especially in hot weather, LDPE does exude a residue. I don't like sticky substances on my holders or other equipment. One can probably avoid that with the pink bags by simply discarding/replacing them regularly. I prefer the 3M bags to that approach.

Sal Santamaura
10-Feb-2013, 11:41
Which of these non-static bags for 5x7 film holders?I use 8x12-inch 3M bags:

http://www.staticbags.com/300812.html

That's the closest I've found; there's a bit more space than necessary, but not excessively so. I just fold it over in the case.

Roger Cole
10-Feb-2013, 12:12
I noted the outgassing to be complete. I've not had it harm anything, but like to avoid subjecting film to unknown gasses if possible just as a good practice.

The more important downside is that, after a while, especially in hot weather, LDPE does exude a residue. I don't like sticky substances on my holders or other equipment. One can probably avoid that with the pink bags by simply discarding/replacing them regularly. I prefer the 3M bags to that approach.

Undetstandable. But I've not experienced the reside and I have 500 of the pink anti statics. Plus I think I'd find the other bags being opaque to be an annoyance. Not a huge one maybe - the holder numbers could be written on them and exposed/unexposed is recorded in my notebook anyway - but still less convenient. And, well, I have these 500 pink ones.

Sal Santamaura
10-Feb-2013, 12:19
...I think I'd find the other bags being opaque to be an annoyance...They're not opaque. While slightly more optically dense than clear or pink LDPE, they do permit seeing the holders (and markings/writing on the holders) through them.

Jerry Bodine
10-Feb-2013, 12:47
Which of these non-static bags for 5x7 film holders?

Since I have the 9x12 "Seal-Top 4-Ply Pink", I just did a fit check of 5x7 holders and found that 4 holders go easily into it and can still close the zip easily. Tried 5 holders, but no go.

http://www.staticbags.com/FASST40912.html

Tin Can
10-Feb-2013, 13:11
Sal Thanks! All this sounds like good advice.. I see the 5x7 advice. Does anyone have any advice for 2x3, 4x5, and 8x10? Both single and maybe 4 to a bag?

Jerry Bodine
10-Feb-2013, 13:46
Randy, the 6x8 zip bag will take 6 4x5 holders easily: http://www.staticbags.com/FASST40608.html
The 12x15 zip bag will take 3 8x10 holders a little snuggly but doable: http://www.staticbags.com/FASST41215.html

These are the 4-ply ones; 2-ply bags are not available with zip and may work if you plan to replace them frequently since they are obviously less durable.

Tin Can
10-Feb-2013, 13:49
Thanks, this is great and I like the fact I do not need to buy 1000's!

This leaves 2x3's...

Roger Cole
10-Feb-2013, 15:32
They're not opaque. While slightly more optically dense than clear or pink LDPE, they do permit seeing the holders (and markings/writing on the holders) through them.

Ah cool. The photo made them look aluminized to the point of opacity.

mortensen
11-Feb-2013, 00:21
... anyone who has a resource on these kinds of bags within EU? Local, customs free supply is easier for us europeans ;)
thanks in advance!

Valdecus
11-Feb-2013, 02:13
Mortensen,

Here in Germany, I am buying "Toppits" (by Melitta) double Ziploc bags. The one litre bag (18x20cm) nicely fits up to two 4x5" holders. I usually only place a single holder in each ziploc bag.

The three litre bags (27x28cm) are perfect for 5x7" holders.

http://www.toppits.de/Doppelverschluss-Gefrierbeutel-319.html

I am sure you will find them almost anywhere in Europe.

Cheers,
Andreas

mcjeff65
11-Feb-2013, 13:18
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions! Great help!

gleaf
11-Feb-2013, 17:51
Noticed the link to uline was to a pink poly bag. One of the Pink Poly breakdown byproducts is Octanoic acid which has some corrosive properties. . We learned it the hard way shipping electronic circuit boards.