PDA

View Full Version : Wista 45DX vs Ebony RW45

Bob Ring
2-May-2004, 13:29
I want to get back into large format and was wondering if anyone had any comments in comparing the Wista 45DX and the Ebony RW45. Looking for comments in quality of build, handling as in ease of use or any issues, etc. Thanks.

Ben Calwell
2-May-2004, 14:02
Hi Bob,

I have no first hand experience with the Ebony, but I've owned and used a Wista DX for about 15 years. It's a lightweight camera, and I've never had any problems with mine, except for the time when one of the wooden corner pieces came loose and fell out (I glued it back in with Elmer's). Because of its light weight, it's a good choice for backpacking. I wish the knobs were a little beefier, and I wish it had a bit more bellows draw. From all that I've read, the Ebony RW45 would probably be considered a step up from the Wista.

Gem Singer
2-May-2004, 14:21
Hi Bob,

Build quality is excellent on both the Wista and the Ebony. The Wista is slightly lighter weight and less expensive. The cherry wood model, with rear shift, sells for (approx.) $1200. It has a maximum 305mm of bellows extension.

The Ebony RW45 is capable of (approx.) 410mm of bellows extension, using base tilts. It does not have rear shift. In mahogany and titanium, it is solid as a rock, easy to operate, and beautiful to behold. It sells for (approx.) $1500. Other cameras that are in the same entry level class with the Ebony RW45 are the Wisner Traditional-S and the Gandolfi Variant level I.

If you can see your way clear to spending the additional money, by all means buy the Ebony. I think that, in the long run, you will find that having more bellows extension is more useful than having rear shift. Also, if you decide to move up to another camera in the future, the Ebony will hold it's value and be easier to sell.

Gem Singer
2-May-2004, 19:11
P.S.,

Midwest Photo Exchange, in Columbus, Ohio, has an Ebony RW45 listed on their website (www.mpex.com). The camera is a demo, with the universal bellows. The asking price is $1450. The universal bellows is great for wide angle lenses, like a 65 or 75, without the need for using a separate wide angle bellows. Call, and talk to Jim (and only Jim). He is, both, a Wista and an Ebony dealer. He is easy to deal with and a pleasure to talk to.

paul owen
3-May-2004, 03:38
Bob, both are very capable cameras - the Wista is very light and offers everything you need in a field camera. BUT, the Ebony is certainly a step up. Th ebuild quality is far superior and the camera is VERY stable. The RW45E is the model to get - this is constructed from ebony wood and titianium vs mahogany and comes with the Universal Bellows - these allow greater flexibility and movement with wide lenses. Good luck with your decision!

Steve Williams_812
3-May-2004, 10:53
I have a one year old Ebony RW45 with the standard bellows. I got this camera after having used a Zone VI 4x5 for over ten years. I got rid of the Zone VI when I moved up to an old 8x10 Deardorff and then got the Ebony when I abandoned the Deardorff.

Comparatively speaking, the Ebony is much more rigid than the Zone VI, everything is precise---the detents are exact, the fit of the wood, the titanium is great, and it is lighter than the Zone VI. The moment I took it out of the box I knew this was a special camera.

The standard bellows was fine for me. It is extremely lightweight and different than any I had seen before. I shot about 300 sheets of 4x5 TXP using a 90MM Nikon, a 125mm Fujinon, and a 210MM Nikon. If I was someone who used a 90mm all the time or was doing architecture with a 90mm I would opt for the Universal bellows. But for landscape and the occassional architectural subject I was not hindered in any way.

I am selling this camera, was supposed to put it up on eBay last night but a party with friends prevented it. I purchased another 8x10 camera last week (I know this sounds stupid), a Zone VI is excellent shape, (instead of the damn beat up old Deardorff) and am going to unload the entire system.

If you are interested in more details about the camera let me know. If I was to return to 4x5 (god, shoot me now) I would not consider anything but the Ebony. If money was no object I would have an Ebony sitting here now instead of the Zone VI.

steve

Doug Dolde
3-May-2004, 10:59
Save yourself a lot of grief and get a Master Technika 2000. I had an Ebony 45SU, and they are junk by comparison.

Steve Williams_812
3-May-2004, 11:19
I just could not get past the bland functionality of the the Linhof. I want the thing to work, but I have to warm to the machine and Linhof never did it for me. I would agree that the wooden Ebony is a different class of machinery than the Technika, but "junk" would not be the term I would use to bridge that gap.

If anyone wants see my Ebony camera before it goes to eBay:

http://www.onlinelearning.psu.edu/RW45/index.htm

steve

Gem Singer
3-May-2004, 12:50
Doug,

Bob is inquiring about 4X5 WOODEN flat bed folding field cameras. The METAL Linhof Master Tech.2000 is an entirely different class of camera. Both the Master Tech. 2000, and the Ebony 45SU that you previously owned, are in the $3800-$4000 price range. The two cameras that Bob is referring to are much less expensive entry level models. However, both are nice functional cameras. I don't believe that he will experience any grief with either one

Frank Petronio
3-May-2004, 13:24
As an occassional Linhof user, I would welcome your donations of junker Ebonies!

Bob Ring
3-May-2004, 14:15
I just want to thank all of you for your comments. I used to have a Sinar 4x5, various 35mm & med. format equipment and am now into my digital Canon 10D (and waiting for the next version of that!). However, I miss the 4x5 chromes! I'm looking for something portable, high quality, relatively lightweight for field use (landscapes). Leaning towards the Ebony. Now, for the next big question: what is the best lens/s for all-round landscape use. I want sharp & contrasty slides, etc. For example, I've owned Zeiss 35mm lenses and really liked them a lot. Your thoughts are appreciated! Regards, Bob Ring

Gem Singer
3-May-2004, 14:31
Bob,

You will probably get a better response if you start a new string on the question of which lens (lenses) to choose for your 4X5 camera. If you talk to Jim, at Midwest, he can make recommendations for new and/or used lenses. He usually offers a package price when a customer purchases a camera and a lens combination.

paul owen
4-May-2004, 01:37
Get yourself a 110 XL along with the Ebony.