PDA

View Full Version : Croatia photo tours - comments?

Denis Pleic
7-Feb-2013, 04:48
I'm about to start organizing photo tours in Croatia, geared primarily towards landscape/nature photographers, particularly those working with large format. I haven't seen many similar offerings in Croatia, and those that I've seen are guided/organized mostly by foreigners, and do not cater specifically to analog/LF photographers (i.e. are obviously not photography-centered, and are restricted to usual commercial itineraries).

I'm a local, and will be organizing such tours with a friend who is also a large format photographer, who lives in Plitvice Lakes national park (and who also has fully equipped lab, including scanning services) :)

The tours will mostly be through Plitvice lakes national park, Velebit nature reserve, and we're also planning some seaside stops...

We're planning 7-9 days tours, with organized accommodation, transport by van/minibus, etc. The web site is about to go live in a few days, but before we put everything online, I thought I'd ask for comments by those who might be interested in visiting Croatia...

We're planning several tour variations, but the first one we'll offer will be some time in late April, duration most likely 8-9 days, with arrival/departure from Zagreb (airport).
The typical tour will comprise of about 4 days in Plitvice lakes national park, 1-2 days of Velebit nature reserve and 1-2 days of seaside (island Pag and perhaps a day trip to Zadar...). All in all 9 days max, including travel from/to Zagreb, with group sizes of up to 7 people max.
Accommodation will be relatively modest (private guesthouse, two four-person apartments, relatively cheap), but practical.

In short, these are the issues we're still struggling with:

1) Duration of tour
6 days is too short, but I feel that 10 days would be the practical maximum. Any comments on that?

2) Tour dates
Tours will be restricted to periods outside of main tourist season, which is July/August. The first tour is tentatively planned from April 20 to April 28. Any international holidays or other issues we should keep in mind? Any particular dates to include/avoid for future tours?

3) Exclusion of more famous locations
We're not planning a visit to Dubrovnik (too far, too much driving, too expensive), and the Adriatic coast sites will be restricted to island Pag, and perhaps Zadar (relatively close to the base on Plitvice lakes). The tour is primarily geared to landscapes. Is that a potential turn-off? I'm of the opinion that those who want to visit those sites can do so after (or before) the official tour is over, at their own leisure....

I'll be thankful for any comments/suggestions you might have :)

Denis

tigger_six
7-Feb-2013, 07:03
Waterfalls on Krka perhaps?

Renato Tonelli
7-Feb-2013, 07:11
I think you're on the right track. (I have thought of doing something similar in the area I come from).

I have a few random observations:

1. I would not exclude tourism season - a lot of people have work obligations and can take vacations only in the Summer months - you might exclude the busiest month of August.

2. I would make it "family friendly": let the photographer come with his wife/partner, children - other activities may be organized for them while you're out photographing and reserve days when everyone may loosely 'tag along'. This would require more effort for sure.

3. Ten days or slightly less seems right.

4. Croatia is still quite affordable to middle-class Europeans and Americans, even in financially strained times: advertise it a such.

5. I don't know how familiar people are with what Croatia has to offer culturally, etc. so you will have to state the obvious. The tourism ministry should lend you a hand in some way...

Good luck with it - let us know how it is evolving.

Denis Pleic
7-Feb-2013, 09:28
Waterfalls on Krka perhaps?

Hmm, not really. After seeing so many breathtaking waterfalls on Plitvice lakes, more waterfalls is just overkill (IMHO). And it's not really that close... Better spend that time on the seaside (island Pag and the "Martian" landcape there).

1. I would not exclude tourism season

2. I would make it "family friendly" ..... This would require more effort for sure.

4. Croatia is still quite affordable to middle-class Europeans and Americans, even in financially strained times: advertise it a such.

All good points, Renato. As for "family friendly", I'm not sure: that way we would actually have to organize two distinct tours (one for photographers, one for the others), which would simply be too complicated (and too darn expensive). I've simply followed the "recipe" of better known photographers: this is a photo tour, and we can't offer everything for everyone :)

But, food for thought, definitely.

Scott Davis
7-Feb-2013, 13:58
I think I'd offer a balance of landscape and urban shooting opportunities - I know I'd love to see some castles and medieval churches and the like. I'd like to acquire some culture and history in addition to the scenery - I've never been to Croatia before and although I've heard good things about it, I'd like to know more. This is not meant to belittle what you're offering by any stretch, but I don't have to leave the US (or even take a plane trip) to see and photograph exotic landscapes (don't get me wrong, I WANT to see those lakes...). Offer something that people can't get at home and you'll have a winner.

Sevo
7-Feb-2013, 14:23
1. I would not exclude tourism season - a lot of people have work obligations and can take vacations only in the Summer months - you might exclude the busiest month of August.

Doing so in the peak season in a tourist destination is difficult business-wise - prices aside, hotels will want long-term guarantees and perhaps even advance payments where they'll offer discounts and accept reserving a variable number of rooms without firmly booking them if you are far enough out of season. Besides, Croatia is far more beautiful in April or October than in August, even more so for photographic purposes, where cloudless skies and a high summer sun mean bad light for six hours around noon...

Denis Pleic
7-Feb-2013, 16:18
Scott, thanks for your thoughts - exactly what I needed. I was thinking along the same lines: offer something people can't get at home, and for those coming from across "the pond", include more culture and history. Thanks!
Sevo, you explained it like an expert: I see you've been to Croatia before :)
Peak season is to be avoided for several reasons: (much higher) prices, difficult reservations/bookings ,crowds, crowds...

jackies
7-Feb-2013, 19:34
Sounds like a good plan, Denis.

I have been to Plitivice Lakes and they are simply gorgeous. There is Nothing to compare to them in the US. The seaside is wonderful. I have been on Krk and there are a couple of little churches that are really photogenic and have alot of history. I just flew into Zagreb but never got a chance to visit the city. Spent time in Karlovats, Pula (great Colesium to photograph), Rovinj (very picturesque) and Krk. Wonderful places to photograph. Each is different and the light was wonderful.

Jackie

Steven Tribe
13-Feb-2013, 05:42
The last 4 winters (january-april periods) I have done 1 week/2 week trips to Mallorca, Sicily and the Andalusian coast (twice).

The most important for me (+partner) has been the availability of cheap direct flights from Copenhagen and a climate which allows outdoor actvities without overcoats. Both our vacation "hobbies" require space so apartment rental has been much more relaxing that hotel/guest house rooms.

Perhaps I should mention that vacationing LF photographers have very different interests. Looking through list from the last two weeks I can see lots of sugar cane factory ruins, but few classical picture post card images!

Like all northern Europeans, I have had quite enough of Mediteranean Summers from late May to middle September (they appear to be getting even worse).
So the period would have to dry and at least 10-15 deg Celsius.
Now, the statistics show that regions I have been (western medit.) are mostly wet around October to December, and dry and warm in January to March - when we have been there!
Writing from memory, Croatia, takes a long time to warm up, so March/April would perhaps be the earliest period? Or does the Autumn period carry on until November?

Steven Tribe
14-Feb-2013, 04:46
I have done a bit of weather research!

April/May/October seem the best temperaturewise.
None of these are very dry - 16, 14 and 13 days on average for precipitation.

Richard Raymond
14-Feb-2013, 06:47
Denis,
Interesting idea. A comment:
First decide why you are doing this. Are you saying "These are the places I want to photograph, when I want to go and I am willing to stay in this class of accommodations while doing it. If you want to join me the trip leaves at ... " or are you putting your customers first and saying "I can organize tours in Croatia for photographers. What would you like to see. When would you like to go and what kind of hotels, experiences would you prefer?". Once you have decided this I believe it will be easier for you to design, market and organize your tours. You can also make your plans to start with initial tour offerings and increase the number and variety as the business grows.
Ric

Denis Pleic
14-Feb-2013, 06:59
I have done a bit of weather research!

April/May/October seem the best temperaturewise.
None of these are very dry - 16, 14 and 13 days on average for precipitation.

Steven, looks like we have a prospective customer :)

Kidding aside, there is no such thing as "weather in Croatia" - it would be the same as the "weather in Great Britain" - not the same in Scottish Highlands and in London or Brighton :)

There are 2-3 distinctive climate geographic areas, with numerous sub- or micro-climate areas in between.

There's typical continental climate (similar to e.g. Austria, Hungary, or Northern Italy), there's inland, with (climate) areas more resembling Iceland than Mediterranean, and then there is the Adriatic coast - Noterhern, Central and Southern Adriatic coast, each with its own weather peculiarities.

So, it's nice to do some reasearch, but, unless you know more or less exactly where you will be going, the weather for Zagreb (or even Rijeka, for that matter) doesn't mean much if you're going to Lika (Plitvice Lakes), or Split on the coast (or Dubrovnik, for that matter) - and they're all in Croatia :)

But, generally speaking, April and May in the Spring, and October (and mostly November) in the Autumn are nice periods to visit - with moderate temperatures, but still with the possibility of snow in April (in continental parts) and occasional rain.

Denis Pleic
3-Mar-2013, 11:37
Well, here's an update of sorts: we've finally managed to get a web site up and running. It's still in early stages, but at least provides some information about the photo tours we plan, plus the detailed info on the coming tour (early May).

Check it out HERE (http://www.crophotoquest.com).

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions, as always :)

TIA,

Denis