PDA

View Full Version : Printing with the Canon i9100

Ted Harris
2-May-2004, 11:51
I do a good bit of digital printing for final prints for resale, presentation, etc. These are ALL done by two different labs using either an Iris printer or a Lightjet printer. For the past several years I have done no color printing at all in my own darkroom.

Some 4 years ago I bought an inexpensive Epson inkjet printer, didn't like th results and gave it to charity. Now, as I look at the major improvements that have been made in photo quality inkjet printers I am considering trying one again. the interest has been bubbling at a low level for months but given the costs I kept seeing it just kept bubbling and I have continued to rely on my monitor for my own preproduction needs before sending chromes off to the lab.

Now, Calumet has reduced the price of the Canon i9100 to $279 and I could easily get interested in purchasing one. The reviews I have read online all seem to be favorable. I would appreciate comments from those here that use this printer or have direct experience with it in printing scanned 4x5, 6x9 and 8x10 chromes. I use a UMAX PowerLook III scanner BTW. It is the price point that interests me. I am not interested in the Epson 2200 at $500+ or others in that price range .... just too big an outlay for my uses.

All comments appreciated.

Thanks

Ted

Ellis Vener
3-May-2004, 18:46
Having used a Canon i900D for a few months and I'm pretty impressed -- once I discovered how to make a good profile forthe papers I've been using. i have stiuck with Canon papers having had a disappinting experience with an epson 1289 and trying to cure it by trying different inks and papers. Then I discovered the craft of color management and started working at that.