PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Wistas - DX or DXII!!

Nicholas White
6-Feb-2013, 04:28
Hi guys! I hope you can help me out.

I'm currently looking at two Wista 45 online - and one is listed as a DX and the other a DXII. I know that the DX has rear shift, and the DXII does not. I've already spoken to fellow forum member, Bob Salomon and he has been incredibly helpful, however I don't want to keep pestering the poor guy! I have a bunch of photos here, of each model - and I was wondering whether any of you lot could help me to identify them.

WISTA DX

Nicholas White
6-Feb-2013, 04:33
45DX II

This actually looks like it could even be a Rosewood one? Despite it being advertised as a Cherrywood!

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

rich815
6-Feb-2013, 08:04
What are to asking?

Nicholas White
6-Feb-2013, 08:07
Hey - I'm basically asking whether these are the cameras that the seller states they are. Is there any way of telling if that definitely IS the DX and not the DXII? The DX has rear shift, and the DXII doesn't, but I don't know how I would identify this by looking at them. Sorry, should have made that clearer!

Nick

Joseph Dickerson
6-Feb-2013, 09:46
I don't see any difference of the two cameras you've shown here. The configuration of the rear standard looks identical from these photos.

Do you have photos of the camera you're actually considering buying? Is it one of these two?

Have you tried Wista's web site, I'm sure they have lots of images of the various models even if the text is in Japanese you should be able to figure things out.

I remember using a Wista, don't remember the model number, that was Rosewood and it was quite a bit heavier than the Cherry model.

Note that neither camera you're showing has a Graflok or International back. I think the DX III is the only one that does, I'm sure Bob S. can verify that if it's an important consideration to you.

JD

Nicholas White
6-Feb-2013, 09:59
I don't see any difference of the two cameras you've shown here. The configuration of the rear standard looks identical from these photos.

Do you have photos of the camera you're actually considering buying? Is it one of these two?

Have you tried Wista's web site, I'm sure they have lots of images of the various models even if the text is in Japanese you should be able to figure things out.

I remember using a Wista, don't remember the model number, that was Rosewood and it was quite a bit heavier than the Cherry model.

Note that neither camera you're showing has a Graflok or International back. I think the DX III is the only one that does, I'm sure Bob S. can verify that if it's an important consideration to you.

JD

I'm considering buying one of these yeah, but I'm trying to figure out which one has the "back shift" movement as that is the one I'd prefer. But like you said, they both look pretty similar so it's hard to tell! I've noticed Bob saying on another post that, although this model doesn't have the international back, the springs do allow the use of roll film holders.

Bob Salomon
6-Feb-2013, 10:08
So you are aware, these appear to be our PR images for Wista and those images are pretty generic. The seller would have to tell you what exactly he is selling.

Nicholas White
6-Feb-2013, 10:15
So you are aware, these appear to be our PR images for Wista and those images are pretty generic. The seller would have to tell you what exactly he is selling.

So these aren't photos of the actual product he is selling? Just standard PR images? I'll have to look into that! I'm guessing then Bob, that you're not able to identify them with the additional photos?

Doremus Scudder
6-Feb-2013, 10:17
The cameras you picture both have rear shift. Look for the brass thumb levers below the black metal work on the rear standard. The DXII does not have these and the associated rear shift.

In view of what Bob says above, I might want to see photos of the actual cameras being advertised. One of the common things that gets damaged on these cameras is the bellows, since they crimp if you use a 90mm or shorter lens on the camera without a recessed lensboard. A couple diagonal pleats are not a problem, but I bought a used Wista for parts once that had such damaged bellows that it would not close properly.

FWIW, I love my Wistas (I've got three now, including the beater) but I would always want the DX with rear shift. A camera without shift is severely handicapped IMHO. The fact that a small lens folds up mounted is an added plus for me as well.

Best,

Doremus

Nicholas White
6-Feb-2013, 10:25
The cameras you picture both have rear shift. Look for the brass thumb levers below the black metal work on the rear standard. The DXII does not have these and the associated rear shift.

Oh amazing - so they are, in fact, BOTH the DX models! Yeah, I spoke to the seller today and requested more photos and he e-mailed me the ones that I've posted on this thread. If Bob is certain that these are actually just generic PR shots, then I may have to have some words with the seller! They are both listed as used with "slight signs of use", and it's a shop - not a dodgy ebay guy. Just checked out your website, beautiful work!

rich815
6-Feb-2013, 13:40
I'm considering buying one of these yeah, but I'm trying to figure out which one has the "back shift" movement as that is the one I'd prefer. But like you said, they both look pretty similar so it's hard to tell! I've noticed Bob saying on another post that, although this model doesn't have the international back, the springs do allow the use of roll film holders.

I have a cherrywood DX and can confirm that about roll film holders. That said indeed both of those cameras above look like DX cameras to me.

ndavid813
8-Feb-2013, 00:12
In addition to the brass thumb plates, the DX has three black horizontal plates under the ground glass. The DX II has only two, since it does not have back shift only swing. I had a Zone VI branded Wista DX II in rosewood. I think those above are Cherry. You can't tell by the color since wood stain can make it any color. I could tell by looking at the wood grain. The rosewood grain (or rings) or much tighter than cherry and seem to show up more in the wood. moot point though, since you haven't even seen the real deal yet. There are enough Wistas and other field cameras out there, so don't be in a hurry to buy from someone who's not forthcoming with real pictures.