PDA

View Full Version : Filter Holder for Kodak Aero-Ektar 178mm f2.5

RawheaD
5-Feb-2013, 15:03
So I'm sure those of you who're speed freaks like I am and got the Aero-Ektar to shoot with on your Speed Graphic have run into the problem of not being able to shoot it wide open in daylight, even with ISO 50 film. In such cases you need to stop down (boo) or, somehow attach an ND filter... and yet there's no simple way to attach a filter on the AE.

Our favorite AE accessory maker Jo Lommen has a great-looking filter holder attachment, but it is a bit costly even without shipping.

For this reason, I DIY'd a filter holder using a plastic lid that came with a can of powder protein: http://www.flickr.com/photos/68874194@N06/sets/72157627934910888/

But it was ugly as hell, and structurally unstable because the parts were glued using hot-glue. With the advancement in 3D printing technology, I'd been meaning to create a 3D printed version of my DIY filter holder for a while, and recently filially got around to designing one, which I present to you here.

The idea is that you order the 3D printed substrate that I designed from Shapeways:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/892285/ae-filter-holder-v5.html?li=productBox-search

Separately purchase an 82-77 step down ring (as cheap as $1.60 shipped on Ebay), and bond the ring to the substrate thereby completing the filter holder. The whole thing, including shipping of the substrate and purchasing a good bonding agent (I use Devcon epoxy) ends up being around $35, or about 1/4 the price of the JoLo holder. Obviously, it's not as sturdy or as good looking as the JoLo one, so consider this as a poor man's alternative.

Anyway, if you're interested, please take a look at the Shapeways page. I also uploaded a video tutorial of the filter holder.

Walter Calahan
5-Feb-2013, 15:22
cool

RawheaD
6-Feb-2013, 21:32
Yeah, it works really surprisingly well, if I say so myself. And it's light enough that I wouldn't mind leaving the darn thing on the lens at all times.

I will have to test how much, if any, interference the added few mm in front of the lens will impact movement...

coisasdavida
7-Feb-2013, 00:41
Wow! Shapeways is like Blurb in 3D! Great solution!

RawheaD
7-Feb-2013, 00:58
Wow! Shapeways is like Blurb in 3D! Great solution!

I agree; moreover, 3D printing technology itself is, I believe, where it's AT right now. I can totally see myself purchasing a printer for myself in the next year or two so that I can start making stuff like this at home (for much cheaper). Fun times.

amac212
12-Feb-2013, 08:04
That is awesome, RawheaD!

RawheaD
19-Feb-2013, 07:44
That is awesome, RawheaD!

Thanks buddy; I'm starting to hear back from the first "customers" of the holder, and the response has been good so far!

JamesGilmore
30-Jun-2015, 11:18
RawheaD:
First off, this is very cool...
Question: I understand that the step down ring is to be glued to the substrate, but what keeps the assembly on the lenshade? Is it a pressure fit thing?

Thanks - keep up the good work!

RawheaD
30-Jun-2015, 12:31
It's pressure as well as a notches that keep the assembly in place.

You slide down the holder, which has three slits where the three metal protrusions are on the inner circumference of the built-in lens shade. One pushed all the way in, you can rotate the assembly; when the protrusions go over the notches, the assembly locks into place :)

RawheaD:
First off, this is very cool...
Question: I understand that the step down ring is to be glued to the substrate, but what keeps the assembly on the lenshade? Is it a pressure fit thing?

Thanks - keep up the good work!

pierre506
30-Jun-2015, 18:12
Great~

seandavid
22-Aug-2016, 21:20
Does anyone on here have experience with this? Considering this or the Lommen.

Also want to make sure these are still being produced, as this is an older thread.

I appreciate any info.

RawheaD
22-Aug-2016, 21:26
Yeah, sorry, I only had several that I made, and do not have any more stock. The original idea was always that anyone who wants one can purchase the substrate from Shapeways, and an 82-77 step-down ring from Ebay et al., and make it themselves.

The result is basically a 77mm filter thread. Anything that can be screwed into a 77mm filter thread can be attached.

seandavid
23-Aug-2016, 10:40
Thanks for your reply, RawheaD.

If you happen to make anymore, I'd definitely love to get one!

diversey
23-Aug-2016, 11:20
I want to haven one too if you make it again. Thanks!

Pathpounder
31-Jan-2017, 12:05
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to mention this is still available at the Shapeways site that was mentioned. I ordered one last week and shipped today. Once received I'll post an image in case anyone is looking. Cost was under $31 shipped as I already had a step down ring.

RawheaD
31-Jan-2017, 12:11
As the creator, I can confirm that orders for this trickles in every now and again :) Thanks for the purchase, pathpounder!