PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell Optics?

nonuniform
4-Feb-2013, 16:53
I'm thinking about getting a brighter ground glass for my Linhof Tech V, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to contact Maxwell Optics. I had one his screens in my Hasselblad and was very happy.

Thanks!

vinny
4-Feb-2013, 17:09
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?72279-Ordering-Maxwell-screens&highlight=Maxwell

nonuniform
4-Feb-2013, 17:33
You know, I'm trying to figure out how that helped answer my question. I didn't see any contact info in that thread. Did I miss it?

Louis Pacilla
4-Feb-2013, 18:01
I don't know if this is still active information as it was last dated 2005.

This was pretty easy to find with a quick Google search but like every thing on internet it could be wrong.:rolleyes:

NOTE: You are advised to call before placing your order in case we are temporarily out of some items (this does not apply to Hi-Lux screen enhancements).

We accept checks, m.o. and all major cards (American Express, Optima, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover)If you have any questions, please call us at:

(404) 244-0095

Or you may email us at:

smiling bill maxwell

Or write:

Maxwell Precision Optics
P.O. 33146
Decatur, GA
30033-0146

Renato Tonelli
4-Feb-2013, 18:08
Would the screen need to be installed by a Linhof Service Tech? That is my understanding from reading other posts.

Leigh
4-Feb-2013, 18:24
I ordered a Hi-Lux screen from Bill a couple of years ago. Very pleased with it.

It's much brighter than stock screens on my Sinar, Tachihara, Zone VI, Toko (yeah Toko) and Plaubel view cameras.
In fact it's so bright with an f/5.6 lens that I normally don't use a dark cloth outdoors.

This is the phone number he provided in April 2011: 770-939-6644

I don't use the phone, and found his email interaction to be very sporadic, but I got the screen and love it.

- Leigh

Jim Cole
5-Feb-2013, 05:52
I just talked with him a couple of weeks ago. He is still producing great screens.

Professional
5-Feb-2013, 06:36
Great, i really want to replace my ground glass on Shen Hao, even with Dark Cloth i still struggle to see good enough, my Speed Graphic GG is better and i don't use a dark cloth but that attached folding hood which helps a lot, so i hope if this brand of Maxwell or similar will solve my problem.

lbenac
5-Feb-2013, 08:13
I just talked with him a couple of weeks ago. He is still producing great screens.

What kind of price range are we looking at for a Hi-Lux screen for a normal size 4x5 (Chamonix/Ebony/Shen-Hao...)???
An Ebony gg/fresnel is around $125 shipped, Beattie at BH are a whopping $400 shipped.

Cheers,

Luc

Jim Cole
5-Feb-2013, 14:41
I priced out a hi-lux for a Chamonix 45-n2 and it was around $400.

lbenac
5-Feb-2013, 15:21

Don't break it!!!!

Cletus
5-Feb-2013, 17:09
I've never been able to bring myself to pull the trigger on a Maxwell screen - pricey, but supposed to be the best of the best. I have used the "Yankee" fresnel, available on Fleebay for around $60 and which made a night/day difference on my Shen Hao 4x5. Even with a 75mm, I could almost focus without the dark cloth out of direct sun. The 250 could be focused in anything less than full noonday sun.

Point is, pay $60 and get, maybe 80% of what you might get out of the $400 Maxwell Hi-Lux. I sure would like to have a Hi-Lux for my 8x10 though! :0

lbenac
5-Feb-2013, 20:40
I've never been able to bring myself to pull the trigger on a Maxwell screen - pricey, but supposed to be the best of the best. I have used the "Yankee" fresnel, available on Fleebay for around $60 and which made a night/day difference on my Shen Hao 4x5. Even with a 75mm, I could almost focus without the dark cloth out of direct sun. The 250 could be focused in anything less than full noonday sun.

Point is, pay $60 and get, maybe 80% of what you might get out of the $400 Maxwell Hi-Lux. I sure would like to have a Hi-Lux for my 8x10 though! :0

Well I did order an Ebony screen from Robert White UK (cheaper to get than from the US) so we will see how it goes.

Chris Chow
15-Aug-2018, 08:54

Resurrecting an old thread here. Also a Chamonix 045-N2 user. When you purchased the Maxwell screen, were there any issues with the fitting or did you had to get it custom fitted?

Using a 90mm f8 lens for night photography is pretty much impossible with the light fall off on the edges, so I'm seriously debating of budgeting for a Maxwell screen.

Best regards.

snommisbor
21-Aug-2018, 19:53
When you talk to him he will ask you what camera you have. I got a screen for my Ebony several months ago. Email is a good way to contact him..

consummate_fritterer
22-Aug-2018, 07:23
Is Maxwell's contact information the same as in post #4?

Chris Chow
19-Nov-2018, 21:49
I recently and decided on pulling the trigger on the Maxwell screen for my Chamonix 045-N2.

Had a lengthy and friendly conversation, and a very knowledgeable person who has produced screens for various camera manufacturers. Bill mentioned that he's considering of transitioning out of his business in producing 4x5 screens to take on a consulting role.

My screen lead time will take about 4+ weeks.

His contact information if you are seriously considering to purchase:

Bill Maxwell
maxwellprecisionoptics@yahoo.com
Maxwell Precision Optics
1+404-317-6825 (mobile - call or text)

I emailed him first and he was responsive. I then left a voicemail on his phone and he returned my call.