PDA

View Full Version : New shutter for a Super Angulon 90 F/8

Cpt Buggernuts
4-Feb-2013, 15:44
Hi guys,
I recently received my camera and I have a shutter-related question. As I was informed prior to my purchase, one of the lenses that came with the camera is in need of repair. It is a Schneider Super Angulon 90 f/8, with a compur electronic 1 shutter. The shutter is almost completely taken apart, and I think trying to repair it professionally would be a waste of time and money, as acquiring a new (second hand) one would be much cheaper.
Anyways, my question is: are there any other compatible shutters, and are there any ways for me to find that out without having to ask in the forum every time? Also how hard is it to find a separate shutter mechanism to purchase? I can't seem to be able to find any (here in the uk).
Please excuse my newbie questions, as this is my first 4x5 camera and I am still learning :)

-Rado

Dan Fromm
4-Feb-2013, 16:21
Are you sure it is a #1? I ask because I'm using an ancient 90/8 SA as a paperweight and it is in a #00. Newer ones are usually in #0. If it is in #1, its cells should fit into threaded bushings that fit into the shutter.

No matter, if it is in a #1 then any cock and shoot Compur or Copal #1 should replace the dead one. If in #0, then any cock and shoot Compur or Copal #0. You don't want a press shutter, their diaphragms are closer to the rear than those of cock and shoot shutters and will interfere with the front of the rear cell.

I believe that Robert White will happily sell you a new shutter of the right size. Otherwise, since I'm not familiar with repairmen and used equipment sellers in the UK, if I were in your position I'd look on eBay (.com and .co.uk) or with US sellers, e.g., Calumet or Badger Graphics. Used shutters can be found, sometimes with lenses, at lower prices than new but most will have to be overhauled. And, after you've been here long enough to be allowed to see the for sale section, you might put up a want to buy listing here.

Cpt Buggernuts
4-Feb-2013, 16:37
Are you sure it is a #1? I ask because I'm using an ancient 90/8 SA as a paperweight and it is in a #00. Newer ones are usually in #0. If it is in #1, its cells should fit into threaded bushings that fit into the shutter.

No matter, if it is in a #1 then any cock and shoot Compur or Copal #1 should replace the dead one. If in #0, then any cock and shoot Compur or Copal #0.

Oh wow, a new shutter would cost me as much as I paid for my whole equipment :D

Yeah, I am certain, as it says so on the disassembled shutter. The guy that sold it to me said it was rare or whatnot, that's not the reason I bought the camera, but it might explain the shutter.

So are they all compatible, copal #1 = any other #1?

My other lens has a Copal #0, and the Schneider doesn't fit.

Thanks for the reply,
-Rado

Dan Fromm
4-Feb-2013, 17:30
There's a cock and shoot #1 standard that's followed by Copal and Compur. Cock and shoot #1s from these makers are interchangeable. There's slightly different #1 press standard that's followed by Copal, Compur and Prontor; they're also interchangeable, but can't be used with lenses whose rear cells go deep into the shutter.

Look here for a list of shutters and dimensions: http://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/pratique/Les_obturateurs_centraux.html

As I wrote, you don't want a #1 press. And no matter how tempting the deal you especially don't want a Polaroid Copal press shutter, their tube lengths don't conform to the #1 standard.

With patience you should be able to find a used #1, possibly with an unloved lens in it, at a reasonable price. If you're in a hurry, well, you'll probably have to pay more.

Cpt Buggernuts
5-Feb-2013, 12:22
Thank you, I will keep an eye out. And thanks for the list, it's very useful. I will definitely refer to it in the future again :)

Some of this LF business is very new to me, you've been very helpful!

C. D. Keth
6-Feb-2013, 10:00
You might look for a really beat up lens in a serviceable shutter. That's often a cheaper way to get a shutter than buying one new.

brucep
7-Feb-2013, 01:43
As you are UK based, contact http://www.bonwcameras.co.uk/, they always do a good job of repairing my shutters. It typically costs me about £80, but they will provide a quote before doing the work.

All the best

IanG
7-Feb-2013, 02:21
Funny this question came up mid 2009 on another Forum. My 90mm f5.6 SA is in a Copal #0 and the f8 version is a smaller lens, I remember offering the OP of that thread a chance to try the cells in a #1 or #0 shutter.

I went abroad so couldn't help but it turned out to be #1 sized he was helped out by someone from Sinar, seems to be one of the non standard versions for Sinar and Copal (electronic) shutters.

Shutters aren't too difficult to find in the UK, spare #1's aren't so common though I'm after two myself.

Ian