PDA

View Full Version : Ernerst Purdum - his work and manuscript

anton orlov
4-Feb-2013, 01:22
I posted a similar thread on APUG and am hoping that at least one of these will give me some ideas.

I recently came upon what is left of Ernest Purdum's estate at a shop and after I bought a few things they threw in as a bonus a large binder with what looks like an almost complete book that supposedly Mr. Purdum was writing. I don't know what to do with it and am wondering is anyone here has any ideas. I know there's a lot of cool information in there, but I can hardly read his beautiful handwriting as English is my second language and I was never good with cursive... Along with it they also included a catalog of photographers and inventors that he collected (A-Z) and an incomplete catalog of cameras (N-Z). Any ideas? Does anyone here know where he was active, any institutions that may be interested in this?
Also, does anyone know of any examples of his actual photography? By the looks of it he really knew his stuff and I'd love to see how he put his knowledge to use.

Thank you.

Carol Flutot
8-Feb-2013, 14:58
Wow!! Yes, he knew his stuff.

jnantz
8-Feb-2013, 15:21
hi anton

one of his articles is in the article section of this website ...
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/soft-focus.html

\john

anton orlov
22-Mar-2013, 13:44
Thanks for the replies folks - I still have the manuscript and would love to find time to do something with it, but the project (which is my signature) is keeping me pretty busy as it involves a lot of planning and that's never been my forte....
Someone did recently tell me that Ernst did actually publish a book at some point and was going to write another one (the draft to which is what I probably have) - does anyone know where I can find that book?

By the way - his estate is still yielding little (and big) treasures and I am spending all the money I have on whatever I can recognize as being cool. By god that man must have loved shutters more than life - you can't imagine the amount of the that were stashed away in the three flat files... most of them in pieces, but some working just fine.

Cheers,
Anton

dachyagel
22-Mar-2013, 14:11
If you can negotiate the rights for the manuscript (unless it is in the public domain), you might consider submitting it to Bracket Books (http://bracketbooks.com). They are looking for books by photographers that aren't just photo books.

anton orlov
22-Mar-2013, 23:51
Nah, I'd like to pass it on to someone who may bring it into the public domain realm, would just like to get back what I paid for it - I know if I didn't buy it it would have ended up in the trash.

John Kasaian
23-Mar-2013, 07:12
How much do you want?

anton orlov
23-Mar-2013, 11:44
How much do you want?

PM sent