PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Virginia!

jaschiero
3-Feb-2013, 22:22
Greetings!

My name is Joe. I live in Williamsburg, VA and have recently begun my journey into LF photography after recently acquiring an old Rochester Optical Standard whole plate camera. I'm waiting on my tax refund to get a few plate holders for it. I am looking forward to exploring the possibilities of LF glass negatives, wet and dry, as well as film.

Walter Calahan
4-Feb-2013, 13:18
Greetings.

Scott Davis
4-Feb-2013, 13:20
Welcome, Joe! And welcome to the whole plate world. It's a terrific format and one of my favorites.

Peter Lewin
4-Feb-2013, 14:58
Another welcome, Joe. I visited Williamsburg a bunch when my daughter attended William & Mary. Lots of inviting photography down there, aside from the obvious (W&M campus, Colonial Williamsburg), I really liked the National Historic Park (IIRC, Jamestown?) and there was a neat glass blowing site run by the state on the Colonial Highway. Since you live there you are probably aware of much more! Looking forward to seeing some of your photos once you get going.

jaschiero
4-Feb-2013, 16:08
Welcome, Joe! And welcome to the whole plate world. It's a terrific format and one of my favorites.

I have found it to be very uncommon... Or I'm looking in the wrong places. I fell in love with it as a child seeing old family portraits and an ancestor's new house in the whole plate format (Not sure if the camera belonged to my family or they hired someone). I have been wanting to get into it for some time, and finally got a camera at the perfect price of free (without holders). I am also looking forward to experimenting with different printing processes as well...

jaschiero
4-Feb-2013, 16:12
Another welcome, Joe. I visited Williamsburg a bunch when my daughter attended William & Mary. Lots of inviting photography down there, aside from the obvious (W&M campus, Colonial Williamsburg), I really liked the National Historic Park (IIRC, Jamestown?) and there was a neat glass blowing site run by the state on the Colonial Highway. Since you live there you are probably aware of much more! Looking forward to seeing some of your photos once you get going.

I was just down at the glass house the other day :) I have found myself steering clear of the major areas lately, trying to re-sensitize myself to what is there. But I do have plans for plates (thinking ambrotypes...) in Colonial Williamsburg.

biedron
1-Mar-2013, 20:40
Hello for Hampton! I somehow missed this post until today. Not too many LF photographers around here.

Bob