PDA

View Full Version : Removing Photoflo contamination from JOBO reels

stephk
3-Feb-2013, 08:25
Is there any new info about removing Photoflo contamination from JOBO reels? Has anyone had success with 50:50 Chlorox:water? I have also heard new reels are the only true cure....

Jac@stafford.net
3-Feb-2013, 08:53
How could Photoflo contaminate anything?

Sevo
3-Feb-2013, 09:18
Why would Clorox help? There are contradicting informations on the net whether it is a plain sodium hypochlorite solution like Eau de Javelle or a sodium hypochlorite/detergent mix like German "Domestos", but even if it is the former, the latter amply demonstrates that the hypochlorite does not eliminate detergents.

Enough rinsing will soon eliminate Photoflo to dimensions where it is irrelevant compared to the amount of surfactants in developers and bleeding from the film - if you live in a region with unusually soft water, have a poorly adjusted ion exchange filter in your supply or choose to toy around with distilled or demineralized water, you may see some frothing of the rinse water, but that is merely a cosmetic matter and should not affect the development.

Jim Noel
3-Feb-2013, 09:21
Photoflo dries on the reels and becomes a catalyst. when you see over-development along the edges it is most commonly caused by Photo-flo.
To remove it, use any good detergent with a toothbrush and scrub the reels, then rinse well. Don't put in dishwasher as those detergents are too strong.
The next step is to get rid of Photo-flo and switch to LFN. I did this over 20 years ago and the edge problem has not re-surfaced.

Sevo
3-Feb-2013, 09:38
Photoflo dries on the reels and becomes a catalyst. when you see over-development along the edges it is most commonly caused by Photo-flo.

There are well known issues with large Photoflo tanks turning into frog pond like algae colonies (that is where hypochlorite cleaners once were recommended, before EU safety regulations banned them hereabouts and replaced them with Quats), and with Photoflo residues increasing the wetting and correspondingly the development of film edges (the common counter-measure is pre-soaking). But that is the first ever I heard of catalytic powers. I'd love to hear the worlds of a qualified chemist on that.

To remove it, use any good detergent with a toothbrush and scrub the reels, then rinse well.

Who says that "any good" detergent is less resilient than Photoflo (itself a detergent/surfactant, by the way)?

rich815
3-Feb-2013, 09:52
To remove it, use any good detergent with a toothbrush and scrub the reels, then rinse well. Don't put in dishwasher as those detergents are too strong.
The next step is to get rid of Photo-flo and switch to LFN. I did this over 20 years ago and the edge problem has not re-surfaced.

What's LFN?

Frank Pittel
3-Feb-2013, 10:17
The best thing to do is not even put the reels in photoflo. Keep it out of the tanks as well!. I went out and got some cheap storage containers that are deep enough to hold enough photoflo to cover the film. When the film is washed I "split" the jobo reels and dump the negatives into the photoflo.

Not sure what it is about photoflo but I find it's hard if not impossible to clean off. The container I have dedicated to photoflo foams up when fill it with water. Virtually impossible to clean.

Richard Wasserman
3-Feb-2013, 10:32
LFN is Edwal's take on photolo. I too think it's a superior product.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/73870-REG/Edwal_EDLFN4_LFN_Wetting_Agent_Liquid.html

What's LFN?

adelorenzo
3-Feb-2013, 10:41
Is this an issue with metal tanks and reels as well? Or only plastic?

rich815
3-Feb-2013, 10:51
LFN is Edwal's take on photolo. I too think it's a superior product.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/73870-REG/Edwal_EDLFN4_LFN_Wetting_Agent_Liquid.html

Thank you.

Sevo
3-Feb-2013, 11:07
Is this an issue with metal tanks and reels as well? Or only plastic?

Metal tanks lend themselves to rougher cleaning - pretty much any possible residue will go away if you drop them into a dish-washer and run them through the hottest program without cleaner. But if you only rinse them, they won't get cleaner than plastics reels and tanks.

But it may be a merely cosmetic annoyance. All the photo industry product managers I've ever talked to claimed that their processor, chemistry or tank system was not affected by the amount of residues present if you use Photo-Flo or competing wetting agents in the specified dilution.

Frank Pittel
3-Feb-2013, 11:45
Metal tanks lend themselves to rougher cleaning - pretty much any possible residue will go away if you drop them into a dish-washer and run them through the hottest program without cleaner. But if you only rinse them, they won't get cleaner than plastics reels and tanks.

But it may be a merely cosmetic annoyance. All the photo industry product managers I've ever talked to claimed that their processor, chemistry or tank system was not affected by the amount of residues present if you use Photo-Flo or competing wetting agents in the specified dilution.

As memory serves Jobo always recommended (insisted) that photoflo not be used with their processors, tanks and reels. I've found that with the "plastic" containers I use foam up when I add hot water to them. Doesn't matter how much I wash or rinse them. Personally I don't want photoflo added to my developer when processing film.

The Jobo reels are easy to split while loaded with film and the "Glad" storage containers are cheap. Why take a chance on ruining the expensive tanks and reels.

Sevo
3-Feb-2013, 12:12
As memory serves Jobo always recommended (insisted) that photoflo not be used with their processors, tanks and reels.

Right - but that is for a web of environmental, economic and cross-pollution reasons. The final rinse is not followed by a wash sequence that would clean the lift and drums - which positively is a no do. Technically it is perfectly possible to wash the lift and drums - but it is a waste of time, manpower and water.

Terry Christian
3-Feb-2013, 15:07
Personally I don't want photoflo added to my developer when processing film.

Who adds Photo-Flo to their developer?!

Sevo
3-Feb-2013, 17:17
Who adds Photo-Flo to their developer?!

Probably none of the ingredients of Photoflo proper, but related chemicals aren't that unusual, at least when we look beyond homebrews.
If you read up on commercial developer formulas, you will see that many contain some surfactant, to eliminate grease spots and air bubbles clinging to the dry film and to accelerate soaking.

Film itself may contain them too, to improve adhesion between layers.