PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the bellows on a Deardorff 5x4 Special

raathistle
2-Feb-2013, 08:56
Hi all,

I have aDeardorff 5x4 Special that I love, but it's really time to replace the bellows. There's starting to be too many holes in the corners for my liking anymore, but I can't seem to find any information anywhere about replacing them, or anything about people selling a nice quality set. As it's my only LF camera I don't really want to cut the bellows off in the hopes of finding out how to replace them :eek:

If anyone can recommend someone who sells/can make a good set of bellows, or point me at any info on how to change them it'd be very much appreciated :D

Ari
2-Feb-2013, 09:19
A search of the forum threads will yield a lot of information on bellows replacement and suppliers.
On eBay there are several Chinese manufacturers who do a very good job, and the price is very good.
Custom Bellows in the UK has a good reputation, though I have never bought from them.

Mark Woods
2-Feb-2013, 09:57
Also, the Deardorff Guy follows these threads. Do a search on him. He repairs Deardorffs and sells NOS cameras.

John Koehrer
2-Feb-2013, 13:24
If it's like the 5X7, the bellows is mounted on frames. If you look around the outside of the rear standard there are 2-3 screws on each side of it.
These hold the frame in place.
The front of the bellows except the screws are gotten to from the inside.

Once you have a replacement bellow, the fabric just peels away from the frame. I used Pliobond on one side to glue the new one in place. If Pliobond is used on both sides it must be aligned perfectly, it's a contact cement and is permanent if two glued surfaces touch.

Ask for references here, I once bought from one of the Chinese sources and the bellows was several inches too short.

E. von Hoegh
2-Feb-2013, 13:27
If it's like the 5X7, the bellows is mounted on frames. If you look around the outside of the rear standard there are 2-3 screws on each side of it.
These hold the frame in place.
The front of the bellows except the screws are gotten to from the inside.

Once you have a replacement bellow, the fabric just peels away from the frame. I used Pliobond on one side to glue the new one in place. If Pliobond is used on both sides it must be aligned perfectly, it's a contact cement and is permanent if two glued surfaces touch.

Ask for references here, I once bought from one of the Chinese sources and the bellows was several inches too short.
The 4x5 Special is a 5x7 with a 4x5 back.
The Chinese bellows are sometimes too thick, preventing the camera closing/folding properly. Caveat emptor!

Len Middleton
2-Feb-2013, 13:33
Also, the Deardorff Guy follows these threads. Do a search on him. He repairs Deardorffs and sells NOS cameras.

Mark, Ken Hough (aka the DeardorffGuy on this site) does sell bellows, but it is Barry Cochrarn who owns the "LF Deardorff & Sons" name and that sells the NOS parts.

Having got a set of bellows from Custom Bellows in the UK, I can vouch for their work and service. I sent them the old bellows and frames, and paid to have them mount the new bellows on the frame, so that all I had to do was screw the frames back in place.

To the OP, good luck with whichever you decide,

Len

Tracy Storer
2-Feb-2013, 13:53
+1 on Custom Bellows in the UK, remove the old bellows on its frames and send it over, the new bellows will come back ready to re-install with no worries. Have a conversation with them about material options, there will be a couple to choose from, if you don't ask, you will get their default, which will be an excellent product.
I usually order bellows covered in woven cloth versus the smooth synthetic. The synthetic probably is lighter weight, folds smaller, and may be a bit more flexible, but I like the look and toughness of the cloth cover.
YMMV

Len Middleton
2-Feb-2013, 14:29
+1 on Custom Bellows in the UK, remove the old bellows on its frames and send it over, the new bellows will come back ready to re-install with no worries. Have a conversation with them about material options, there will be a couple to choose from, if you don't ask, you will get their default, which will be an excellent product.
I usually order bellows covered in woven cloth versus the smooth synthetic. The synthetic probably is lighter weight, folds smaller, and may be a bit more flexible, but I like the look and toughness of the cloth cover.
YMMV

Tracy,

Good information.

I got the default (I did not know there was a choice!), woven cloth outer and certainly no complaints, but it is on a big camera (Korona 8x20) and it can handle a big less flexible and heavier bellows.

Len

raathistle
2-Feb-2013, 15:57
Thanks for the info everyone, the hint about the Chinese bellows maybe being too small is good as I almost bought a set a couple of days ago.

I'll give custom bellows a call on Monday

David Karp
2-Feb-2013, 16:09
Jim at Western Bellows made a bellows for me that was beautiful. Provided good service too. I don't know if he is still making bellows, so check. I believe that at least for a while he made bellows for Deardorff. His address: 7454 Henbane Street, Etiwanda, CA. Tel. 91739. Tel. (909) 980-0606.

I work nearby his place, so I dropped my camera off, talked for a while, and picked it up when it was ready. Later, I goofed trying to mess around with the bellows, and Jim patched it for me at no charge. It was cool to see all the cameras waiting for new bellows and some of his forms.