PDA

View Full Version : Newb in Sydney - doesn't know where to start

Big Bald Biker
1-Feb-2013, 14:42
Hi folks I am a POM in Sydney and the wonderful vista have inspired me to make the step up to LF. So I now have (I think) everything needed to make an exposure and have practiced over and over loading exposed film to ensure I can do it correctly. I haven't though worked out how to get the film developed and more urgently how to store the exposed film waiting for development. I have a single box of unexposed films and a couple of film holders. So at the moment I seem to be faced with the quandary of the farmer trying to get the fox,chicken and grain over the river. I am not sure how to source empty boxes and don't know of another solution.

Many thanks in advance

Michael W
1-Feb-2013, 15:16
It's a common dilemma. As you go on in LF you will accumulate empty boxes and extra film holders that will relieve your current situation. In regard to developing is it B&W or colour? C41 or E6? In Sydney I would use Blanco Negro for B&W (although really I would recommend learning to process it yourself), Vision ImageLab in Redfern for E6 and C41 and Pix Photomedia at Bondi for C41.

jonreid
1-Feb-2013, 15:18
Just ask. Someone would probably send you some empty boxes. I assume you are talking 4x5. There is an Australian large format site. Called Large Format Photography Australia I think.
If you are shooting 5x7 I could spare a box or two.
Blanco Negro (Redfern) or Think Negative (Marrickville?) are options for having someone else dev your film (B+W).
Point Light (Surry Hills) if you want to rent space and DIY.

Jon

welly
1-Feb-2013, 15:34
Hi folks I am a POM in Sydney and the wonderful vista have inspired me to make the step up to LF. So I now have (I think) everything needed to make an exposure and have practiced over and over loading exposed film to ensure I can do it correctly. I haven't though worked out how to get the film developed and more urgently how to store the exposed film waiting for development. I have a single box of unexposed films and a couple of film holders. So at the moment I seem to be faced with the quandary of the farmer trying to get the fox,chicken and grain over the river. I am not sure how to source empty boxes and don't know of another solution.

Many thanks in advance

Hello Mr. Bald Biker!

I'm also a pom in Sydney. Drop me a line and I can give you a hand with it all. There's a few of us film and large format shooters in Sydney, and I might have a spare box for your exposed film.

Cheers,

Welly

Big Bald Biker
1-Feb-2013, 16:28
Thanks Guys. I had hooked up with Enrico at Think.Negative and was going to take a course with him but wanted to shoot some frames off first. I am currently like a kid at Christmas with a new toy and no batteries. Wells next job is to find out how to send pm's . Sure it shouldn't stretch me too much !!

Pfiltz
1-Feb-2013, 16:32
I'm in nw Tn. USA, and have an empty 4x5 box that I can mail you.

PM me you're address if you want one.

Ross Chambers
1-Feb-2013, 23:26
When I was in your position, having just bought a Toyo 4x5 and subsequently a lens (didn't realise that they were separate items at the time) I got a fair way down the initial "I want to see something" path by darking out the kitchen in my small flat in the middle of Haberfield shops and using a few small trays and chemicals from Vanbar, then contact printing.

Certainly not an ideal setup but, broadly speaking, it worked and gave me a good idea of what I needed to learn, at minimal cost. I did learn a great amount from forums like this one and other internet sources.

Good luck.

Michael Wynd
5-Feb-2013, 10:12
Welcome to the forum. An important question for you. What do you ride? If you're riding to Canberra, let me know, coz I'm riding a Moto Guzzi Breva 750. There are some nice places to shoot around here.
Mike

Big Bald Biker
5-Feb-2013, 22:15
Michael I used to have an 1100 Breva back in the UK a nice bike but too chin down arse up for someone of my age and girth.

I now potter around on a 1600 Nomad which keeps me out of too much trouble :)

Leonard Metcalf
6-Feb-2013, 13:05
There are some other fantastic and very experienced teachers in Sydney. I can recommend Gordon Undy to learn large format from, and of course myself. I am also running an intro at http://lensschool.com