PDA

View Full Version : How to replace 8x10 Sinar glass without breaking it?

emankayker
1-Feb-2013, 07:08
Hi all
I recently bought a 8x10 back and the seller took it appart to pack it safely. Now I have to put it back together and when I try to insert the glass into the 4 metalic pieces it screaches like it's about to break.
So I wanted to ask you guys how to proceed before I break it?

I join a picture of one of the 4 holders, I suppose I have to insert the glass between the blue and the orange arrow, but do I insert the glass before screwing them to the frame? Or do I push the glass between the 4 from the top of the frame?

Thanks

Joe Forks
1-Feb-2013, 07:31
How many of those clips are there. four? Try taking out all the clips except one. Put in the glass, in the first clip, then insert the second clip opposite to the first, you should be able to rotate the clip into place and screw it in, at least that is how it looks to me.

emankayker
1-Feb-2013, 08:00
Put in the glass, in the first clip, then insert the second clip opposite to the first, you should be able to rotate the clip into place and screw it in, at least that is how it looks to me.

Thanks, but there is quite a big pressure within each clip, between the 3 legs (blue and orange arrows)
There is no room for clipping one and then moving the glass around 3 more times... and basically I can't push a clip on the glass without a noise of doom.
I am wondering if I should use some grease, or maybe reinforce the glass with maybe thin metal sheet like a cutter blade on each side to make sure the glass won't dent...?

petetsai
1-Feb-2013, 08:20
I unscrewed mine, inserted the glass and then put the keepers back in with no issue.

Jac@stafford.net
1-Feb-2013, 08:20
Remove all the clips.
Set the ground glass in place.
Replace the clips.

The glass is not held in with great force. Be careful.

emankayker
1-Feb-2013, 09:19
But do we agree the glass goes between the 3 metal "blade" on each clip?

(please understand by blade the 3 metal things shown by the 3 arrows)

I would tend to think the best way would be to remove the 4 clips, clip them on the glass, insert the glass on the frame and move each clips so they align with the holes. BUT I tried it and the blades have so much tension I am concern like I said the glass breaks as it makes the sound close to a dentist, and then I'd have to slide around each clip toward the screw's holes, more screaching I suppose... But if this is what has to be done, I'll do it.

Thanks all

Jim Noel
1-Feb-2013, 09:38
the glass goes under the clip and rests on the back. take al teh clips off, lay the glass in and then replace the clips.

cowanw
1-Feb-2013, 09:42
Sometimes the glass is slightly out of square and if flipped may go in better. Yes the four clips must be removed placed on the glass and then rescrewed in. If the glass doesn't fit this way, perhaps the seller switched glass. The glass sits on the frame not the clips.The slot you are looking at is for a removable fresnel

Hermes07
1-Feb-2013, 12:14
But do we agree the glass goes between the 3 metal "blade" on each clip?

(please understand by blade the 3 metal things shown by the 3 arrows)

I would tend to think the best way would be to remove the 4 clips, clip them on the glass, insert the glass on the frame and move each clips so they align with the holes. BUT I tried it and the blades have so much tension I am concern like I said the glass breaks as it makes the sound close to a dentist, and then I'd have to slide around each clip toward the screw's holes, more screaching I suppose... But if this is what has to be done, I'll do it.

Thanks all

The glass goes between the entire metal clip and the camera back, not between the 3 prongs of the clip. The clip is just there to apply some pressure so the glass stays pressed against the ridge of the (Norma?) back

cowanw
1-Feb-2013, 12:31
Sinar replacement ground glass retaining clips, specially designed to retain the GG and to retain a Fresnel lens and allow that Fresnel lens to removed and replaced w/o the need for tools. These are for use with the 8X10 non-metering P/C/F back and the Norma back and a standard sized 8X10 Fresnel. They may also work with an 8X10 metering back and an appropriate sized Fresnel lens. These were not designed for use with 5X7 cameras or 4X5 cameras
from
http://www.glennview.com/sinar.htm

emankayker
1-Feb-2013, 16:12
Hi and thanks for all your inputs.
My first attempt when I saw the glass didn't fit between the 3 prongs (thanks for the vocable! : ) was to place the glass directly on the frame and replace the 4 clips. There I would hear the sound of the glass shifting on the metal sounding like it was loose. Then I notice the top slot, visible on the far left of the picture, was aligned with the glass and it could slide out easily... like carried upside down.

So a valid explaination would be if an extra layer of say rubber or velvet between the frame and the glass sandwitching it tightly was lost in the shipment.
Is such a thing likely?

Hermes07
1-Feb-2013, 17:05
Hi and thanks for all your inputs.
My first attempt when I saw the glass didn't fit between the 3 prongs (thanks for the vocable! : ) was to place the glass directly on the frame and replace the 4 clips. There I would hear the sound of the glass shifting on the metal sounding like it was loose. Then I notice the top slot, visible on the far left of the picture, was aligned with the glass and it could slide out easily... like carried upside down.

So a valid explaination would be if an extra layer of say rubber or velvet between the frame and the glass sandwitching it tightly was lost in the shipment.
Is such a thing likely?

My Norma certainly never had anything like this. I would personally just bend the metal clip back a little bit if I felt it was applying too much pressure. all that matters is that the glass is help securely in place against the metal upstands on the back.

cowanw
1-Feb-2013, 17:39
Nothig can go between the glass and the frame as the focus on the film plane will then be off.

emankayker
2-Feb-2013, 15:31
Nothig can go between the glass and the frame as the focus on the film plane will then be off.

yes, this definitely makes sens... the edge of the frame is the focal plane.

emankayker
4-Feb-2013, 01:46
Anybody could show me a picture of a clip on a norma 8x10?
It is still loose, and a picture is worth a thousand words.... they say.
cheers

Tony Lakin
4-Feb-2013, 02:29
Photos of my Norma 8x10 back, mine does not have the fresnel reyaining clips, apart from that fit will be the same.8866388664

Hope this helps:)

emankayker
5-Feb-2013, 03:25
Hi Tony,
thanks a lot, yes it helps, and it is very straight forward! Mine is also an older model.
I may have found what's bugging me: the clips may be bent to fit into each specific corner so I have to find where they belong... or just get a wrench and bend them, now that I'm not concern anymore that something was missing or the glass would escape
Big thanks to everybody for your help.

emankayker
12-Feb-2013, 14:40
I just wanted to share how I solved the problem if anybody bumped into the same concern.
I bent the prongs with a little bit of help from my wrench, then held the clips down with a second screwdriver and the glass is now very tight.
thanks again you all