PDA

View Full Version : multi-coated lens, multi-coated filter too?

Dean Taylor
31-Jan-2013, 19:03
hello

If the lens being utilized is multi-coated is it also useful to have any added filters multi-coated?

this filter is MC:
http://is.gd/yfteM7

My untutored sense of the matter is inclined to say, 'yes', the full optic 'system' would need MC. True? They're pricey, of course...

thank you

ps: does this filter appear to be MC (could not determine from ad):
http://is.gd/I92FHG

Renato Tonelli
31-Jan-2013, 20:27
I would say yes. I am of the opinion that a good quality lens should have a good quality filter.

E. von Hoegh
1-Feb-2013, 08:50
I use MC filters whenever possible, even on non-coated lenses. The less the surfaces of the filter reflect, the less the filter will contribute to flare regardless of the coatings on the lens.
It's better to use a proper lens hood than obsess over what if any coatings are on your lens or filters, a hood will have a noticeable effect even with MC lenses (and filters).

Dean Taylor
1-Feb-2013, 13:12
thank you, LF community!

renes
2-Feb-2013, 13:41
It's better to use a proper lens hood than obsess over what if any coatings are on your lens or filters...

If you use lens hood does it matter whether you put MC filter or coated filter (with one coating)?

E. von Hoegh
4-Feb-2013, 09:29
If you use lens hood does it matter whether you put MC filter or coated filter (with one coating)?

Multicoated is always better from the standpoint of reflections and light transmission. How much better depends on the conditions you are using it in.

I've used uncoated filters, on uncoated lenses, with a masked compendium shade and had superb results. But, when I have a MC filter available I use it in preference to single or un- coated filters.

Drew Wiley
4-Feb-2013, 09:54
I replied on the other forum. But here it is again. Multicoated filters tend to stay cleaner, sometimes
significantly so. For one thing, higher quality more consitently flat glass is needed to perform multi
coating, and the coatings themselves have less to attract condensation or outgassing plastisizer vapors (which are suprisingly abundant in a lot of camera gear, including some filter containers). Image contrast is helped, as well as flare. I'd always use a hood too; but they aren't perfect either - it can be
hard to well shade a wide-angle lens for example. One generally doesn't need a large number of filters,
so might as well buy good ones.

BrianShaw
4-Feb-2013, 09:55
one generally doesn't need a large number of filters,
so might as well buy good ones.

amen!