PDA

View Full Version : Those Nikor tanks (for 4x5)

macandal
31-Jan-2013, 17:21
Are they really that expensive? On eBay, they usually go at a starting price of about $200! Check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALL-METAL-NIKOR-4x5-SHEET-FILM-PROCESSING-TANK-MANY-OTHER-SIZES-/330862863198?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d08f6a35e

Is that "normal"? I'm in the market for one of these, but I don't want to be taken. What is a fair price? How much should I pay for one of these? I've put an ad indicating my interest in buying one of these.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?99598-WTB-Nikor-tank-for-4x5

Let me know if you have one for sale.

Thanks.

Jac@stafford.net
31-Jan-2013, 17:29
I sold mine, complete with retaining band for $150 and I'm good with that.

IMHO it is way over-rated thing.

macandal
31-Jan-2013, 17:35
IMHO it is way over-rated thing.
.What is overrated? The tanks? Are they not good?

dtheld
31-Jan-2013, 17:47
Mario,

These tanks are hellaciously overpriced on eBay and other online sellers. However, they do work very well with a little care in loading.

My suggestion is if you really have your heart set on getting one, you need to keep checking places like thrift shops (Goodwill), antique stores and Craigslist in about a 200 mile area around your address.

I got extremely lucky and was able to purchase mine from a used camera store that was selling out all of its inventory at ridiculously low prices.

Best of luck.

Dave

Bill_1856
31-Jan-2013, 18:25
I had one many years ago, and gave up trying to use it. It seemed like a great idea at the time (I've used Nikor tanks for 35mm and 120 over 60 years), but could never get the hang of it without kinking or scratching the film.

macandal
1-Feb-2013, 09:28
One of these is selling on eBay for $295. Yikes!

I'm looking for one guys. If you want to sell one at a reasonable price, please let me know (http://www.largeformatphotography.in...r-tank-for-4x5).

EdSawyer
1-Feb-2013, 09:33
The ebay prices really are the going rate for these. $200-300 for most of them. Occasionally less, but they don't last long if at all for lower prices. There's also condition issues to watch out for (missing thumbscrews, missing band, etc.)

I have one for sale (as we already discussed). They are great, I think - one of the best solutions for hand processing 4x5.

ac12
1-Feb-2013, 09:42
The old "Supply and demand" rule.
But geez it is nuts.
It is probably because much of what were made is probably lost in old darkrooms and estates of people that don't know what they are.

I have an extra one, but it is missing the SS band to hold in the film, so you would have to rig up something to keep the film in.

Mario,
I sent you an email.

macandal
1-Feb-2013, 09:58
But geez it is nuts.
It is probably because much of what were made is probably lost in old darkrooms and estates of people that don't know what they are.No kidding.

I have an extra one, but it is missing the SS band to hold in the film, so you would have to rig up something to keep the film in.Guys, is this doable? A rubber band perhaps or is that a big no-no?

I sent you an email.Got it. Thanks.

Michael Cienfuegos
1-Feb-2013, 10:43
But geez it is nuts.
It is probably because much of what were made is probably lost in old darkrooms and estates of people that don't know what they are.

I have an extra one, but it is missing the SS band to hold in the film, so you would have to rig up something to keep the film in.

Mario,
I sent you an email.

I use a rubber band, it works.

Bernice Loui
1-Feb-2013, 11:04
Nikkor 4x5 tanks have a learning curve. Get it all correct and they work quite well. Get one thing wrong and the Nikkor tank will RUIN your film, likely the entire 12 sheets. The first few times I used a Nikkor, many, many sheets of films were ruined until what needed to be done was figured out.

They must be set properly for the film size with just enough gap between the guides and film, thumb screws tight, film loaded completely into the spool, band properly installed and the correct amount of solution. Oh, one more thing, the emulsion side faced away from the center spiral band or that band can do really bad things to the emulsion side of the film during processing.

Once all is well, Nikkor tanks work fine.

Bernice

What is overrated? The tanks? Are they not good?

David R Munson
1-Feb-2013, 11:12
I just bought one in the last few weeks and so far it's been precisely the solution I need. I don't have a darkroom right now and have no practical way to create one in the foreseeable future, so processing 4x5 is a challenge. I've done about six batches of film in mine now and have had excellent results all around. I have not yet tried all of my film/developer combinations, nor have I developed any stuff that would really show any kind of uneven development, but no problems so far loading or with kinking, scratching, etc.

They are, unfortunately, priced high these days. I got mine as part of a lot of 7 assorted tanks and some reels and paid for the lot what the 4x5 setups are going for, so I lucked out. Once I sell off the other tanks I don't need, I'll have recouped half my cost. Deals do happen.

Vick Ko
1-Feb-2013, 11:28
Glad to have read this thread. I have a Nikor 4x5 tank that I have yet to use, and was worried about the negative internet buzz. But seems that overall, these tanks are a good item, if used properly. Seems a lot more appealing than spending 20 minutes in total darkness over trays slopping negatives.

ndrs
1-Feb-2013, 12:02
As Bernice said, they indeed have a learning curve.
Perfect height adjustment and lots of daylight / eyes closed loading practice is the key. They're pure joy to use after you have befriended them.

cyrus
1-Feb-2013, 22:23
Frankly, the taco method works just fine and spending all this money on the 4x5 Nikkor tank is just silly. but that's just me

jb7
2-Feb-2013, 00:34
Taco method? Seems like an awful lot of money to spend on rubber bands, what's wrong with shuffling film in trays?

Although, if you searched for a Nikkor tank and found something, it might end up costing less than you expected.

Since I already have one, I use it, and don't have to feel silly about going out and buying one. I suppose it means I can develop 12 sheets in a liter of chemistry without feeling any extra silliness either, and since my lid fits perfectly, it's a very elegant solution to the sheet film developing problem.

Seems like some of the bad stuff that's written about this tank on the internet is written by those who have no intention of even trying it.

Btw, I've tried the rubber bands too, and that works. However, the Nikor is better, even if the price is too high.

We have some hardcore rubberbandits over here, who have applied the same logic to the price of cars...
NSFW, in some jobs...

http://youtu.be/ljPFZrRD3J8

Michael Cienfuegos
2-Feb-2013, 14:01
Taco method? Seems like an awful lot of money to spend on rubber bands, what's wrong with shuffling film in trays?

Although, if you searched for a Nikkor tank and found something, it might end up costing less than you expected.

Since I already have one, I use it, and don't have to feel silly about going out and buying one. I suppose it means I can develop 12 sheets in a liter of chemistry without feeling any extra silliness either, and since my lid fits perfectly, it's a very elegant solution to the sheet film developing problem.

Seems like some of the bad stuff that's written about this tank on the internet is written by those who have no intention of even trying it.

Btw, I've tried the rubber bands too, and that works. However, the Nikor is better, even if the price is too high.

We have some hardcore rubberbandits over here, who have applied the same logic to the price of cars...
NSFW, in some jobs...

I use the rubber bands on the Nikor tank, my inserts came without the SS band.

jb7
3-Feb-2013, 06:17
How does the rubber band work out for you on the Nikor? I've never tried it, but it seems as if it could be a lot more gentle than having to attach that spring steel strip-

Michael Cienfuegos
3-Feb-2013, 13:39
How does the rubber band work out for you on the Nikor? I've never tried it, but it seems as if it could be a lot more gentle than having to attach that spring steel strip-

I use a large rubber band, one that i don't have to put much stretch into. i haven't had any problems with the rubber band.

David A. Goldfarb
3-Feb-2013, 14:19
Rubber band works fine.

Yes, they sell for $150-250 typically. Look at all those spot welds, and you'll see why. I once asked Hewes about manufacturing a modern one, and they said "Get a Jobo." It would be much more expensive to produce that reel today, and demand would be much less.

I have two tanks so I can leave one reel set for 4x5", one for 2x3", or set them both for the same format, if I have a lot of film to process. If you hunt here and on apug.org, you can find the instruction sheet, which explains all the tricks that I learned by trial and error. I've posted it on APUG at least once, and I know someone's posted it here as well, and I think someone else posted it on APUG again in another format. Reading the instructions will save you a lot of trouble.

cyrus
4-Feb-2013, 01:54

NSFW, in some jobs...

Personally I do shuffle in trays but since we were talking about tank development... I guess since you already own a Nikor tank then there's no issue.
I have tried all the varieties of sheet ilm development methods and as a result I have a collection of development tools that I no longer use and perhaps only used once or twice before abandoning it. Slosher trays, tanks etc. all eating dust. I find that the taco method is not only cheap, it is convenient particularly "on the road" otherwise I stick with shuffling

jb7
4-Feb-2013, 03:36
I use a large rubber band, one that i don't have to put much stretch into. i haven't had any problems with the rubber band.

Thanks Michael, I must try that-

Cyrus, I've tried those methods too, though the slosher only with 8x10, 4 sheets-
I abandoned that in favour of rotary, 2 sheets at a time, just to get away from sloshing in the dark-

For 4x5, the Nikor has the advantage of economy, in terms of container sizes you have to carry in the field, to process 12 sheets at a time-
you could use a large tank to process a lot of tacos at once, using two or three liter containers, or use a Nikor size tank to process 3 or 4 tacos, three or four times in a row. Give that I already have the tank, I think it would be silly of me to waste all that time, or carry large tanks and containers, or limit myself to less exposures while traveling.

I look on the price of the Nikor as an extended rental, it goes down the longer you have it, and it seems you can get your money back easily if you need it.

Hope I've managed to explain to you why the people who buy Nikor tanks might not be as silly as you think-
Though no matter if I haven't-

cyrus
4-Feb-2013, 06:29
Hope I've managed to explain to you why the people who buy Nikor tanks might not be as silly as you think-
Though no matter if I haven't-

LOL, Oh I don't judge - everyone has their own techniques.

I have tried the Nikor tanks but did not have a good result due to uneven development, and it was generally too much a PITA to load and unload etc. It is all just preference anyway. FOr me, the $300 could be better spent but that's a personal opinion.

Martin Dake
4-Feb-2013, 18:38
There is a complete Nikor 4x5 tank on eBay right now for BIN of $150, that's a good price.
I have no affiliation with the seller.

doctorpepe
8-Jan-2020, 08:45
I use one for 4x5. The main issue is developing time combined with agitation. To little of either will create streaking. Min of 5-6 min, agitate every 20-30 sec. A preset helps. Tried it with c41 and got poor negs mostly due to the short times. Load emulsion IN every time or the SsStrap will tear your emulsion. Never tried rubber bands or without the strap...might test it without the strap to see if that makes any difference. Stay well.

doctorpepe
8-Jan-2020, 08:45
Sorry. Pre WET not PRESET!

doctorpepe
8-Jan-2020, 11:55
I have a nikor 4x5 tank which works fine as long as developing times are over 5 min. Agitation every 30 sec with an invert and a twist. Just make sure you load the sheets emulsion in. A prewet bath seems to help as well. Fill/dump times are about 20sec or so. I haven't tried it without the ss strap. I have tried it with c41 in a heated water bath but the developing times are too short. Stay well

Tom Monego
9-Jan-2020, 13:13
The tricks I find with the Nikor tank, most have been given in this thread.
1) Load it the opposite of a film holder the base should be on the upside of the curl.
2) My tank is a little large for the 4x5 reel set, I use a spacer so the reel won't piston.
3) Prewet
5) 5 minute + developing time I agitate 10 seconds every minute.

Bought mine in the mid 80's for about $50.

eli
17-Jan-2020, 22:39
As much as I'd like one of these Nikkor tanks, I will do as I have on another site, when it comes to hard to find items, and suggest, instead of everyone scrambling to find old tanks, photographers use influence or tech and build brassiere to use tanks and racks, by either having an entrepreneur of simply a skilled Welder make SQUARE tanks, with round mouths and caps, and a similar multi-rack of development sheet film holders, trimmed down in weight/size,(after all, you won't need the hangers) and arranged into one piece units, so you can have a couple loaded racks ready to go into the tank, after the first or tenth run.

A permanent gasket or a replaceable one can secure the top, and a plastic lid with a snug fit would make pouring/filling no worse than filling a round tank.

Or, instead of SS, 3D print or Router or CNC construct a polymer block and lid, and complete with two hinged locks, opposite sides (the same with a SS tank and lid), to keep it liquid tight and snap together racks for 6-8 sheets (so a narrow profile is easier to handle than a Kodak Rubber Tank Size Unit.

If there was a way to make an acceptable, tightly sealed LEGO tank and acrylic inner rack, you could do about the same, or, just build a wood box, using the wood gasket method, epoxy paint it, add cork, rubber (bike inner tubes) or leather gaskets and get busy with that back log of film.

I use the rubber 4"x5" Kodak tanks, and would like to find more, cheaply, but some times the notion of a tank that could do inversions is just too tempting to give up on, but I have no doubt that many of you could do for yourselves without paying outrageous prices and difficult to use vintage tanks.

IMO.