PDA

View Full Version : Mixed brand dev with HC110?

ryanmills
31-Jan-2013, 15:49
I should preface this question with the fact I am quite new to darkroom work, shooting 4x5 txp320 and harmon direct postive film.

I really want to start working with HC110 and seems to still be easy to get. However Kodak's rapid fixer, and stop bath seems to be harder to get online. Ilford however is easy to get. This may be a silly question but can I use ilfords stop and rapid fixer without effecting the contrast of the film? I plan to do all my developing with a Nova 4x5 Film Processor if that has any effect.

Pawlowski6132
31-Jan-2013, 17:21
Mix and match away!

jk0592
31-Jan-2013, 19:44
The stop bath and fixer need not be from the same company as the developer. I use HC110 followed by Ilford stop bath, followed by Kodak fixer, without any problem whatsoever. The Ilford stop bath is citric acid based, and does not smell as strong as the Kodak stop bath which is acetic acid based.

Ari
31-Jan-2013, 20:12
I'll save you a step, and suggest using water for a stop bath.
Your negs won't know the difference.

enock
31-Jan-2013, 21:20
I have been using HC-110 Solution B in a Unicolor roller. The timing I get is about 4'33" for a negative. Water stop bath and Kodak hardening fixer. I have a couple of questions
1) Should I use a different solution strength?
2) Have other people found that roller processing produces such a short time?
3) What is the best course of action out of this?

ryanmills
2-Feb-2013, 18:18
enock you will have better luck just creating a new thread for your question.

Thanks everyone else for the input, going to give it a go!

Terry Christian
2-Feb-2013, 19:04
If you want a longer developing time, use unofficial "dilution H": make the dilution half as much (1:63 as opposed to 1:31), and develop for double the time, which would be about 9'.

ShawnHoke
2-Feb-2013, 19:04
I use HC-110 Solution H for a bit of a longer dev. time.

And for what it's worth, I use water as stop and Ilford Rapid Fixer for fix. Never had a problem mixing brands.

ShawnHoke
2-Feb-2013, 19:05
If you want a longer developing time, use unofficial "dilution H": make the dilution half as much (1:63 as opposed to 1:31), and develop for double the time, which would be about 9'.

We posted the exact same advice at the same time. Great minds!

Jody_S
3-Feb-2013, 00:51

It is possible to use it even more dilute than this, of course. I do it when I have to use an FR tank or more recently doing semi-stand dev. of taco 5x7s in a 6-reel tank- both about 1.6L of solution, dilution 'B' is not economical. The developer has to be mixed and used in one sitting though, it won't keep even overnight.

Terry Christian
4-Feb-2013, 06:53
True, Jody, but I was talking about a slightly protracted normal developing time, not stand/semi-stand development.