PDA

View Full Version : Wet Plate Collodion Workshop at Penland, NC July 7-19, 2013

Monty McCutchen
31-Jan-2013, 09:39
I am happy to announce I will be teaching a Wet Plate Collodion Workshop this summer at the Penland School of Arts and Crafts, July 7-19, 2013. The class will deal with the Wet Plate Collodion Positive where we will be making Ambrotypes, Tintypes, and Alumitypes. The class will cover from start to finish the Wet Plate Collodion process, from mixing the chemistry, to creating the plates, to varnishing the finished work. I will be assisted by another fantastic Wet Plate artist, Melitte Buchman so the expertise to student ratio will allow for hands on experience with those that have been working and teaching the process for nearly a decade. This is a working class. With nearly two weeks of time to work in the process the workshop will be portfolio driven with the expectation that you walk away with a portfolio of images that reflect a strong knowledge of the process by the end of the session. There will be at least one day (maybe two) in the field working with portable dark boxes and my traveling darkroom so that the problems that are inherent to field work can be explored and dealt with. There will also be a day in which participants get to use either a 16 x 20 or 20 x 24 camera to pour and create ULF Wet Plate images. Penland has a beautiful campus with many disciplines where art takes center stage for the session so I hope you can join us. It promises to be an exciting two weeks.

PM if you have any further questions about me, the class or Penland.

best,

Monty McCutchen

http://penland.org/classes/summer/summer_session_4.html

rich815
31-Jan-2013, 09:48
Wow, sounds like an great class, wish it was closer to me. I'm taking a photogravure course in the spring that has me excited. Good luck with it all!

Tri Tran
31-Jan-2013, 10:03
Very nice to hear that you are teaching the wet plate especially from the Master Plate. Please post a sneak peak preview of the workshop if you can. Have a wonderful time.

bob carnie
31-Jan-2013, 11:35
Is there a possibility that you could teach via skype so as to not offend me if I was standing next to you??

enquiring minds need to know.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
31-Jan-2013, 11:58
Aside from the unquantifiable benefits of learning with Monty (there are many, including excellent shoes and hats), Penland is an amazing place. Go if you can, though beware of ether addiction...

Monty McCutchen
31-Jan-2013, 13:43
I should have added the Penland Page for tuition and accommodations;

here is the link to costs associated with the class;

http://penland.org/classes/fees.html