PDA

View Full Version : Is there a foramt expander?

stradibarrius
31-Jan-2013, 09:15
I know you can get reducing backs say to use 4x5 film on an 8x10 camera, but is there such a thing as a format expander that would allow me to shoot 8x10 on a 4x5 camera?
I have a Sinar F2 4x5 if that makes any difference as to what might be available.

Len Middleton
31-Jan-2013, 09:19
Usually referred to a format changing kits, and yes Sinar has them for their system cameras.

Typically involves new back and bellows.

Peter Gomena
31-Jan-2013, 09:31
You'll need to thoroughly investigate the Sinar system. I know the F2 front standard can be used with an 8x10 back, bellows and rear standard, but I don't remember if the F2 rear standard is convertible to an 8x10 back by itself. Your best bet probably is to find a used P or P2 8x10 rear standard, back and bellows kit. And a bigger tripod. :)

Dan Fromm
31-Jan-2013, 09:37
Barry, price the bits needed -- 4x5 to 8x10 bellows, 8x10 standard, ... -- against a complete 8x10 camera and consider all 8x10 cameras, not just Sinars.

I'm acquiring bits needed to shoot 6x12 with as much of little my 2x3 Cambo as possible, have decided, with a little shame, that financially I'd have been better off just getting a complete 4x5 camera -- not necessarily a Cambo -- with an adapter board to accept my lenses on 2x3 Graphic boards. The only argument for the apparently more elegant approach is that it reduces a little the amount of gear that has to be transported.

StoneNYC
31-Jan-2013, 09:43
Why not just cut the 8x10 film? You'd get 4 shots... It's a perfect size cut down

Kirk Gittings
31-Jan-2013, 09:48
Why not just cut the 8x10 film? You'd get 4 shots... It's a perfect size cut down

hmmm.......I think you read that wrong-format expander?

The title of this thread reminds me of my first "real" job at a lumber sawmill. My boss complained that I trimmed some studs a bit short and sent me looking for the "lumber stretcher"...........I spent about an hour asking everyone where it was located-they all had a good laugh at my expense.

C. D. Keth
31-Jan-2013, 09:58
hmmm.......format expander?

The title of this thread reminds me of my first "real" job at a lumber sawmill. My boss complained that I trimmed some studs a bit short and sent me looking for the "lumber stretcher"...........I spent about an hour asking everyone where it was located-they all had a good laugh at my expense.

That's a pretty good one. We sometimes send our trainees off to the grips (they'll play along) asking for a bag of f-stops.

stradibarrius
31-Jan-2013, 10:02
Thanks for the information.

vinny
31-Jan-2013, 10:25

...and then tape it back together after processing.

StoneNYC
31-Jan-2013, 10:32
...and then tape it back together after processing.

Lol! That's how that 4 face Andy Warhol image was made...

Bob Salomon
31-Jan-2013, 14:22
Usually referred to a format changing kits, and yes Sinar has them for their system cameras.

Typically involves new back and bellows.

And front standard bearer on some models as well as a beefier rear standard bearer.