PDA

View Full Version : 2012 - 2013 print exchange poll

Scott Walker
29-Jan-2013, 10:36
How many of you would be interested in participating in a print exchange again this year if orchestrated from Canada.
Shipping will be much higher for those of you from the US than you are accustomed to.
For Canadians it would be much cheaper and for everyone else it would stay about the same.

Jody_S
29-Jan-2013, 10:44
I think we have enough Canucks here to do a Canadian exchange, if everyone participated. But yes, count me in; shipping costs were a factor (main factor: experience) in not joining any of the previous print exchanges.

Roger Thoms
29-Jan-2013, 11:19
Yes, no problem for me if it's Canadian based.

Roger

redrockcoulee
29-Jan-2013, 12:28
Scott

Are you volunteering and if so great for you. Count me in if it goes ahead. Just another reason for me to nag my millwright to get my enlarger gear made.

Ivan

Scott Walker
29-Jan-2013, 13:13
Scott

Are you volunteering and if so great for you. Count me in if it goes ahead. Just another reason for me to nag my millwright to get my enlarger gear made.

Ivan

Yes I am volunteering. :p
It would suck to not have the print exchange anymore.
And it will be a nice break for us in the frozen north to have cheap shipping costs for a few years until someone else wants to take it over elsewhere.

adelorenzo
29-Jan-2013, 13:18
If there are enough Canadians (self included) why not have an all-Canadian group?

Andrew O'Neill
29-Jan-2013, 14:35
If it's all Canadian, count me out.

Roger Thoms
29-Jan-2013, 14:38
If it's all Canadian or all American count me out.

Roger

Scott Walker
29-Jan-2013, 14:43
If there are enough Canadians (self included) why not have an all-Canadian group?

I don't think that is really what the print exchange was designed for but I imagine that it would be incentive for more Canadians to participate given the lower costs incurred, and I'm sure a few folks from south of the 49th will have to bow out due to the higher costs.

I looked at it this way in the past, even though the shipping costs appear rather high I was still getting 9 prints from some pretty amazing photographers for less than $5.00 each.

Hopefully we can get a suitable number of participants interested to make it worth while.

Scott Walker
29-Jan-2013, 14:48
As with the past print exchanges the only stipulation will be that it will be all large format camera captured images, no exclusivity for any country or group.

adelorenzo
29-Jan-2013, 14:54
I wasn't thinking about postage costs, it was more out of an interest to see the work of other Canadian photographers. I'd like to participate regardless of where the prints come from.

DanK
29-Jan-2013, 15:02
Yes, I would very much like to participate...shipped to Canada, US, or elsewhere....

Cheers,
Dan

Andrew O'Neill
29-Jan-2013, 16:01
I'm still thinking about it as I've got a bit on my plate at the moment... but I most likely will... if it's open to everyone.

jackies
30-Jan-2013, 10:35
Scott,

I have been trying to calculate potential cost to and from. Would we be sending back and forth via postal service, ups or fed ex? I see that you live in rural Canada. I recently paid $71.00 to send an 8x10 negative to rural Canada via fed ex to make sure it got there.

Jackie

Scott Walker
30-Jan-2013, 11:05
Scott,

I have been trying to calculate potential cost to and from. Would we be sending back and forth via postal service, ups or fed ex? I see that you live in rural Canada. I recently paid $71.00 to send an 8x10 negative to rural Canada via fed ex to make sure it got there.

Jackie

I live rural but my mailing address will either be at my business in Okotoks which is a small center just outside of Calgary or at my business in Calgary. I will discuss the matter with the post office to see which mailing address will be better suited to receiving and sending prints. I have shipped thousands of parcels within North America from Calgary and I think from a cost perspective the postal system is going to be the better option within Canada and across the border.

Jody_S
30-Jan-2013, 11:55
Canada Post is the way to go, I personally refuse to use UPS, FEDEX or whatever (send or receive) due to their price-gouging with customs brokerage fees, and very high cost to send from Canada. When I did have to use UPS, I crossed the border into NY to send from there, at which point it was cheaper than parcel post but only if I didn't count my time & gas.

jp
30-Jan-2013, 12:52
Postal costs aren't a big deal for sending a tough envelope or modest box to Canada. The value and inspiration of real in your hand photos is worth more than Internet photos.

Scott Walker
30-Jan-2013, 13:01
I have checked with Canada Post and these are the rates I was quoted for shipping.

Within Canada $10.00 to $14.00 depending on location.

United States $16.78 for 6 day and $10.35 for whow knows when it will show up (they claim 11 days max).

The rest of the world seems to anywhere from $10.00 to about $100.00 depending on what level of service you are willing to pay for, or I guess on the low end of the scale wait for.

jackies
30-Jan-2013, 16:18
Thanks so much Scott. I appreciate your prompt attention to this.

J

Andrew O'Neill
30-Jan-2013, 17:49
Okay. Lets get the list going, Scott!

Scott Walker
30-Jan-2013, 19:33
Okay. Lets get the list going, Scott!

I assume I can count you in Andrew :)

I am working on the logistics of everything and will post a call for entry once there is enough interest shown and I have my shit together.

Andrew O'Neill
30-Jan-2013, 20:00
I haven't participated for a few years so maybe this time... I don't think you should go by the results of the poll, though. Lets get a list going.

MMELVIS
31-Jan-2013, 17:07
I would be interested. Would the prints need to printed in the traditional manner or is a digital print being looked for?

Scott Walker
31-Jan-2013, 17:53
I would be interested. Would the prints need to printed in the traditional manner or is a digital print being looked for?

The only stipulation is that the image must be captured with a view camera. The print can be done in what ever fashion you chose.
I will be posting an official call for entry in the next day or two. All of the details of the exchange will be posted at that time.

polyglot
31-Jan-2013, 19:51
I'd be interested as long as there is an upper bound (probably 8x10) on print size. Posting 16x20s to/from Australia is not a cheap proposition.

Scott Walker
31-Jan-2013, 21:38
I'd be interested as long as there is an upper bound (probably 8x10) on print size. Posting 16x20s to/from Australia is not a cheap proposition.

The prints must be either 8x10 or 11x14 and the image size on the paper can be what ever size you choose.
However the return shipment is almost certainley going to include 11x14 images.

Milton Tierney
3-Feb-2013, 14:07
No problem with shipping cost for me. I just paid off my house this past July.

Andrew O'Neill
3-Feb-2013, 16:56
Guys, just go back and read Scott's instructions in the actual print exchange thread...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?99613-b-2012-2013-print-exchange-call-for-entry-b