PDA

View Full Version : Platinum/Paladium printing papers

sepstein17
29-Jan-2013, 07:16
Looking for a source for Westin's Diploma Parchment in 50-sheet quanties -- any recommendations?

greenrhino
29-Jan-2013, 08:08
I think you have to order it directly from the maker.

Tri Tran
29-Jan-2013, 08:28
Looking for a source for Westin's Diploma Parchment in 50-sheet quanties -- any recommendations?

Weston paper is one of my favorite beside the Crane natural. I don't have the rep contact number with me right now but will update here later tonight .

Doug Howk
29-Jan-2013, 10:45
John Zokowski
jzokowski@comcast.net
Butler-Dearden Paper Company,
Boylston, MA
Not sure if above is still current

Tri Tran
29-Jan-2013, 11:14
John Zokowski
jzokowski@comcast.net
Butler-Dearden Paper Company,
Boylston, MA
Not sure if above is still current

Yes, that's it. Thanks Doug.

Thom Bennett
29-Jan-2013, 12:58
I've heard of this paper but have never had the chance to try it with Pt/Pd. How does it compare to Arches Platine, Bergger COT 320, etc.?

sepstein17
29-Jan-2013, 13:44
I've heard of this paper but have never had the chance to try it with Pt/Pd. How does it compare to Arches Platine, Bergger COT 320, etc.?

Compared to COT 320 it is markedly warmer and single weight -- 320 feels and acts more like a double-weight paper. Have not used Arches Platine enough for comparison.

Vaughn
29-Jan-2013, 13:46
Much warmer, more fragile (lighter weight).

I did not like it for my work. Too warm, and I must have gotten a bad batch -- while the appearance when dry was fine, but once wet it had a crease running thru all the sheets that remained after drying. I had to wet then dry all the sheets to find where the crease was, so I could work around it. This was several years ago and probably was only a bad batch -- not a recurring problem as far as I know.

Doug Howk
29-Jan-2013, 13:54
Weston Diploma Parchment is a light-weight, warm-tone paper with a smooth finish. Its water strength is fine for smaller prints; but, for larger prints, would suggest some type of support (eg, Mylar) while transferring between baths. Doesn't need any special treatment for pt/pd.

Wayne Lambert
29-Jan-2013, 20:32
I've been using it for several years and like it a lot. When dry it has a very smooth hard finsh---excellent for showing detail. It is warm so if you like a whiter paper it might not be for you. I haven't had any problem with it except slight edge tears and black specks. My largest prints are 11 x 14. It's inexpensive and John Zokowski is good to work with.
Wayne

sepstein17
29-Jan-2013, 22:16
Thanx everyone for your feedback...purchased a 50-sheet pack directly from Mr. Zokowski at Dunder-Mifflin today.