PDA

View Full Version : Font mounting a Packard Shutter

Reinhold Schable
28-Jan-2013, 19:05
If you have a Packard shutter and aren't sure how to mount it, here's one way...

The customer had a nice 3-1/2" number 6 Packard which he wanted to use on his 335mm and 500mm Wollaston lenses.
Both lenses have 88mm diameter barrels, so I made and mounted an 89mm I.D. collar on a shutter baseplate.
A textured rubber belt under the nylon screws gives a secure grip without marking the lens barrel.
The timing pin can be inserted from either the front or back of the shutter.

This whole assembly is simpler and lighter than an add-on behind-the-lens "box" method.
A lensboard "shutter box" would place the lens forward of the front standards pivot points.
This in turn disturbs the effects of the swing and tilt movements on the ground glass.

If you have an old Packard with beat-up blades, Reno says to send it to him...
He'll clean it up, replace the blades and give it a new paint job.

Reinhold
www.re-inventedPhotoEquip.com

William Whitaker
28-Jan-2013, 21:14
And it's very nice indeed! The textured rubber belt is set into the inside of the collar so it sits flush with the interior surface of the collar. The fit is very nice; not too loose, not too tight. The screws have spring preloads and there's very little fiddling. The rubber belt provides a bearing surface for the tips of the screws and helps to keep the shutter from rotating about the barrel. Excellent!

Spikon
3-Nov-2016, 23:49
What kind of collar?

tonyowen
4-Nov-2016, 05:59
Curiosity only, what are the half dozen or so 'inserts'(???) shown on the images of posting #1??
I'm guessing they are aperture stops, but why would they be supplied with a device for barrel lenses that (based on eBay observations) seem to have built-in apertures??
Also the Packard Shutter website seems not to mention or illustrate of such items.
As I said, curiosity only.
regards
Tony

Steven Tribe
4-Nov-2016, 06:11
The meniscus Wollaston lens is supplied by Reinhold with modern WH stops.
Will the Packard work without rattling?

Randy
7-Nov-2016, 19:13
Curiosity only, what are the half dozen or so 'inserts'(???)Yes, those are "Waterhouse" stops - or aperture cards. The very early barrel lenses (I guess) did not have a built-in adjustable aperture, but instead had a slot cut in the barrel so the photographer could slide the aperture card into the barrel. I have one of Reinhold's wonderful 190mm lenses and it see's a lot of use on my 4X5 Graflex Series D.

Jim Andrada
8-Nov-2016, 09:47
I have one as well - only problem I have with the stops is that they don't sit firmly enough in the slot, so if you don't unclip them from the chain that holds the set together, the weight of the ones not being used will pull the inserted clip out of the slot. I know it's not the end of the world but unclipping them is a good way to lose one or two. (Don't ask how I know - even though I eventually found them.)