PDA

View Full Version : Method and Apparatus for a long expired roll of 116 file

Tim Povlick
28-Jan-2013, 07:45
Greetings.

I have a 40 year old of NOS b&w film, roll size is 116. Are there spools for Jobo / Patterson to fit this wider (2.5") film?

To expose assume an extra stop of exposure, correct?

A search for 116 film didn't turn up much.

_..--
Tim

Sevo
28-Jan-2013, 08:01
Exposure - and results - will depend on storage. Add some anti-fogging agent to the developer, or use one that already has it, like HC-110. Personally I would not bother with a single roll - it will take a roll or two to determine the best exposure and development even if you cut it into clips, so you'll probably have only work and no result. Besides, sawing apart a Jobo or Patterson reel and glueing in a extension tube, while possible, is not really worth while unless it is more than a one-shot affair.

Google will turn up several pages on using 120 film in 116 or 616 cameras - this needs less modification efforts than the other way around, so it might be a more feasible approach.

Tim Povlick
28-Jan-2013, 08:40
Exposure - and results - will depend on storage. Add some anti-fogging agent to the developer, or use one that already has it, like HC-110. Personally I would not bother with a single roll - it will take a roll or two to determine the best exposure and development even if you cut it into clips, so you'll probably have only work and no result. Besides, sawing apart a Jobo or Patterson reel and glueing in a extension tube, while possible, is not really worth while unless it is more than a one-shot affair.

Google will turn up several pages on using 120 film in 116 or 616 cameras - this needs less modification efforts than the other way around, so it might be a more feasible approach.

Hi Sevo,

Many thanks for you expertise. I will use the anti-fog agent; that is a good idea.

Unfortunately I have only one roll to try and can only assume that it was stored at room temperature. The carton the film came in is in good condtion, considering the age.

Yes, thanks for the google / 120 film. I hate to give up film area. The 2.5" x 4.25" (63.5mm x 108mm) negative is a nice size for handheld. I am going to try to save the paper from this roll and cut some Aero film from a 9.5" wide roll and attach the new film to the paper backing.

For developing, I'll check the local 'antique' camera shop, he may have something. If not, a steel roll can be cut and welded / extended.

Seems a lot of effort considering the age of the camera, pinholes in bellows, no film, no method to develop, etc etc.

Best Regards,

Tim

Michael Cienfuegos
28-Jan-2013, 09:43
Look for an ole "universal" developing tank such as the FR Special http://www.ebay.com/itm/FR-Special-Model-2-Film-Developing-Tank-new-in-original-box-W-instructions-/281054711042?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41702a8d02. They handle anything from 35mm to 116 .

Tim Povlick
29-Jan-2013, 20:56
Look for an ole "universal" developing tank such as the FR Special http://www.ebay.com/itm/FR-Special-Model-2-Film-Developing-Tank-new-in-original-box-W-instructions-/281054711042?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41702a8d02. They handle anything from 35mm to 116 .

Hi Michael,

Thanks for that information. I will check with Ken at Camera Exposure to see if he has anything that can process this size of film.

Best Regards,

Tim

Michael Cienfuegos
29-Jan-2013, 22:17
I didn't realize you are in San Diego. Ken should have one, he has just about everything else. :) I think I still have a roll floating about here, it's Verichrome 116, so it was made before 1957, when Verichrome Pan was introduced, but I'm not sure where it is, or why I even have it. 116 film is 70mm in width, so a 70mm reel would hold it.

jnantz
29-Jan-2013, 22:39
hi tim

is this ortho film you have or pan film ?
i was gifted a kodak 1a box with 116 film still in it
the way i processed it was old school holding the film one end in each hand
and having a tray of developer in the sink .. i dipped one end in, and lifted the end
untill my other hand reached the tray, and then back again .. back and forth
for the time required. it was ortho so it was easy.

good luck !
john

Tim Povlick
30-Jan-2013, 19:49
Hi Michael,

It turns out it's a roll of Verichrome Pan (safety film). I'll stop in and see Ken and chat with him a bit about this.

Hi Jnanian,

That's a great idea about processing. For one real that will be fine, I can do it in the dark. I'll use Sevo's tip and process HC-110.

For future I'll just cut some modern film down to single sheet and tape it inside the camera. Then you get one shot, but processing would be easy. It's to bad roll film isn't available as it's a nice format for hand held.

Thanks everyone for the great help. The group out here is very knowledgeable and forthcoming.

Tim

jnantz
30-Jan-2013, 20:35
hi tim

i am not sure if you are a fan of shooting paper negatives,
but i have had great luck cutting sheets of 8x10 rc paper the right width as a spool
and taping them end to end. i roll them up and tape it for a day or 2 to give the sheets a memory
and then tape a paper end to the receiving spool ...
in the right light, rc paper can be about iso 25 ... which makes hand held still doable ..
sometimes the old boxes have a yellow filter, which works great with vc paper to tame the contrast ..
processing in spend paper developer or caffenol works wonders with paper negatives ...

i do this all the time with a 122 ( postcard format ) 3A ... and now that i re-found my missing 116 spools ... :)

good luck !
john

Jim Noel
30-Jan-2013, 21:02
Development does not require a special tank, or any tank at all. Put the developer in a tray,or a casserole dish, or anything not aluminum. there are two methods of developing film in a tray. 1. see-saw it up and down constantly but not rapidly. 2, take advantage of its desire to curl. hold it in the developer loosely with one hand, pull with the other to uncurl it. release the end you pulled and allow it to re-roll itself. I had a 116 folder in the 1930's and developed hundreds of rolls in a tray. I still use the method whenin the fiedl and want a quick look at the day's results.