PDA

View Full Version : Speed Graphic

Rhodes
28-Jan-2013, 04:10
Not so speedy anymore!
The focal plane shutter of my speed graphic began to not close properly and I could see the "lateral bands" of the curtain loose and out of place. The shutter could be wind tottaly and then fired. :(
I send it to a repair man here in portugal, that do a good jobo in old cameras, but he told me that to do a good repair, it had to replace parts and he did not have any to do the job. :(:(
I decide to use the camera only with the leaf shutter of the lens, which works fine and have a the focal shutter always open.
I could send to other places here in Portugal to see if they repair it, but do not know if any would be able to.

RawheaD
28-Jan-2013, 08:25
There's a guy that does a repair for pretty cheap in the US. I don't know if roundtrip shipping will make it worthwhile, though. What are the parts that your repaiman needs?

BrianShaw
28-Jan-2013, 08:43
... probably needs a shutter curtain and perhaps a lower roller/spring.

RawheaD
28-Jan-2013, 08:47
If it's just the curtain, I have the material that I can sell you at a reasonable price if you can get the necessary dimensions from the repairperson :-)

Rhodes
28-Jan-2013, 09:36
... probably needs a shutter curtain and perhaps a lower roller/spring.

Quite possibly, but I will ask and post here is answer! Thanks!

Rhodes
28-Jan-2013, 09:57
Well, the repair man said that he could not provide what parts need/are ruined because it was a progressiv work. So if one should go repair the camera, had to have several parts to replace, do to begining in one thing and end at another one.
Sorry If could not explain well what he said in english.

Valdecus
29-Jan-2013, 10:03
Rhodes,
You could also send the camera to Jo Lommen in the Netherlands (so it stays within the EU). He did a marvelous job adjusting my Speed Graphic and I can only highly recommend him:
http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl

Here are a few images of a LF photographers outing last summer with my Speed Graphic. We shot quite a few Polaroid 4x5" portraits with the camera:
http://www.waldeck.com/galleries/grossformatfotografie_forum_treffen_2012-06-02/index.html

Cheers,
Andreas

Rhodes
29-Jan-2013, 10:23
Thank you!

Larry Gebhardt
29-Jan-2013, 12:36
There's a guy that does a repair for pretty cheap in the US. I don't know if roundtrip shipping will make it worthwhile, though. What are the parts that your repaiman needs?

Do you have the name of this guy? I have an old Speed that needs a focal plane shutter repair.

j.e.simmons
29-Jan-2013, 12:39
Fred Lustig. He's in Nevada - no email or web presence. You have to call him on the telephone.
juan

RawheaD
29-Jan-2013, 16:45
Hmmm, the guy I used used to go by User ID: savannahbooks77 on Ebay, and would do the adjustment for $65, but apparently he's not on Ebay any more. He (at least used to be) in Georgia.

TEL. 251 564 4079

E-mail: Martin Anthony <savannahbooks@yahoo.com>

Still worth a try to contact him

photonsoup
5-Feb-2013, 23:01
Fred Lustig. He's in Nevada - no email or web presence. You have to call him on the telephone.
juan

Freds phone:
775-746-0111

Address:
4790 Caughlin Park
Reno, NV 89519

I talked to him last week and he's still there, hard at work.