PDA

View Full Version : Kodak D76 print drum developing

tjc51
27-Jan-2013, 20:18
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can't find it. I am going to develop 4x5 film in a 8x10 print drum. I will be using Kodak d76 developer. How many ounces of D76 per sheet ? I'll be doing 1+1 with the D76. I can fit 4 4x5 sheets in the drum but I'm not sure I can get enough developer in the drum for 4 sheets. I was always under the thought that it is 4 ounces developer per each 4x5 sheet ? If so, 4 sheets can't be developed in the drum. thanks--tom

Roger Thoms
27-Jan-2013, 21:01
Based on my experience with BTZS tubes and D76 1+1 you'll be fine with 2 oz per sheet. Hope that helps.

Roger

Bill Burk
27-Jan-2013, 21:52
Although 4 ounces 1:1 mixed solution is the capacity of D-76, Roger is probably right that it's OK to use 2 ounces.

The spec sheet says increase development time by 15% when developing past capacity. And I have seen my Contrast Index fall by 15% when I developed past capacity.

So I think the worst thing that will happen is your development times may be longer (maybe 15%) than spec sheets or dev charts.

Michael Cienfuegos
28-Jan-2013, 09:47
I have been using a Unicolor 8x10 print drum for 4x5. It works quite well. :) BTW, I have some very small plastic spring clamps which work well as separators to keep the negatives separate.

bobwysiwyg
28-Jan-2013, 10:02
BTW, I have some very small plastic spring clamps which work well as separators to keep the negatives separate.

You wouldn't happen to have a pic or source for these clamps would you?

ic-racer
28-Jan-2013, 10:08
So I think the worst thing that will happen is your development times may be longer (maybe 15%) than spec sheets or dev charts.

I know Bill is posting from good experience when recommending 2oz per sheet so I'm sure that is good information. In my experience the actual "Worst Thing That Can Happen" with developer exhaustion during a process is uneven development, where the center of the sheet is under developed. So, keep an eye out for that when extending the limits of developer capacity.

Michael Cienfuegos
28-Jan-2013, 14:24
You wouldn't happen to have a pic or source for these clamps would you?

Check the Harbor Freight catalog on line. I use the one inch spring clamps in the set item # 69374. $4.95 for a 22 piece set of inch and inch and one half clamps.

m

bobwysiwyg
28-Jan-2013, 14:59
Michael, thank you.

tjc51
28-Jan-2013, 18:19
Thanks for all of the replys. They will make my developing go much smoother.I decided to try the print drum on 4x5's with my Chromega Drum II. I'm rather new to large format and have been tray processing
up to now.The drum has some plastic clamps(they are white,about 1/4 inch wide and about 2 inches long) with it that I beleive will keep the film separate while processing. If I run into more questions I'll be back !!
I'll pay very close to the development through out the negative.
thanks again to all.

Bill Burk
28-Jan-2013, 18:59
I'd take ic-racer's advice...

You always could mix up a full batch and use half for the first half of development time, pour it out and use the second half of developer for the second half of the development time.

John Kasaian
28-Jan-2013, 19:04
Check the Harbor Freight catalog on line. I use the one inch spring clamps in the set item # 69374. $4.95 for a 22 piece set of inch and inch and one half clamps.

m

Click on the LF Homepage on the blue banner at the top of this page and find your way to Greywolf Phillips article on processing film in the Unicolor. He used clips from Walmart clothes hangers IIRC.

Terry Christian
28-Jan-2013, 19:26
The last time I was at Walmart (not much, thank goodness), I looked for such clothes hangers and could not find them. I tried using tiny spring clamps, but they slipped off too easily. The Unicolor ribs have a V-shaped profile. Should the clip only catch hold of one arm of the V, or should the jaws span both and grip the base of the V? I'd appreciate seeing more and clearer snapshots of how they're affixed.

Light Guru
28-Jan-2013, 20:10
Click on the LF Homepage on the blue banner at the top of this page and find your way to Greywolf Phillips article on processing film in the Unicolor. He used clips from Walmart clothes hangers IIRC.

I've tried the Walmart clothing hangers shown in that article and honestly I think the clips mentioned in this thread would be a much nicer solution.

Michael Cienfuegos
29-Jan-2013, 00:04
I'll try and get a few photos tomorrow, the Harbor Freight clips have swiveled jaws which clamp on the V shaped rib, it works well, you can do it easily in the dark. :)

tjc51
9-Feb-2013, 04:31
I finally got 4 sheets of 4x5 film developed in the print drum. It was my first time and I must say they came out quite good.I finally decided to use 12 ounces ,after I tried a test run and figured out that I could use up to 12 ounces without any liquid loss.For single sheets I will still tray process, but for multiple sheets I beleive this will work great for me. Thanks to all ! tom

chassis
9-Feb-2013, 11:36
I use 2 oz. of D-76 stock solution for one sheet of 4x5 in a BTZS tube. My current dilution is 1:3, so this is 6 oz. total solution. I use stand development.

Michael Cienfuegos
9-Feb-2013, 16:01
I finally got around to photographing the plastic clips. I used my iPhone, easier than putting a macro lens on my D700 (lazy).

The clip: 89005

Clip in the Unidrum: 89006