PDA

View Full Version : Ground glass backs for old wooden 8x10 cameras

MIke Sherck
27-Apr-2004, 11:00
Does anyone happen to know whether the back (ground glass) from an 8x10 B&J will fit an 8x10 Ansco (wooden field cameras)? Thanks!

Mjs

wfwhitaker
27-Apr-2004, 13:16
Based on what I have at hand they are close, but not the same. The B&J appears to be very slightly larger overall, both in the outside dimension and in the light trap dimension. It would be a simple matter on a table saw to make a one-way conversion from B&J to Ansco, but not the other way. For my B&J back to fit the Ansco, the little locating pins on the back would need to be removed as the Ansco doesn't use (or accommodate) them. Keep in mind that there were variations throughout production and it may be entirely possible that what you find would not work. Then again, you may find a direct replacement.

FWIW,
Will

David Richhart
28-Apr-2004, 19:35
Years ago I used a 4x5 reducing back from an 8x10 B&J Grover on an old Agfa/Ansco camera. As Will said, the back was a little too tight, but I used a sharp wood chisel to trim the back so it would fit into the camera. I think it needed trimmed less than 1/32 inch.