PDA

View Full Version : Tim Jones and Ken Lee at the Valley Photo Center

gene LaFord
27-Jan-2013, 19:02
The Valley Photo Center is pleased to announce an exhibition of the photographic work of Tim Jones and Ken Lee. The exhibition will run from February 26th through April 5th. There will be an artists’ reception on Sunday March 3rd from 2:00 – 5:00 pm.
Tim Jones is a large format (8x10 film) photographer based out of Sandy Hook, CT. He utilizes the 8x10 film format as it allows him to make contact prints the exact size of the film. Contact prints exhibit details and tones with a sublime beauty rarely seen in other forms of photography. Jones photographs may depict literal representations or a distorted reality depending on how he interprets the subject before his camera.
Ken Lee of Granby, MA is part of a long tradition of Large Format black and white photographers which goes back to Ansel Adams and Paul Strand. Ken's mentor was Fred Picker, with whom he studied as a teenager in the early 1970's. Ken makes landscapes, portraits, still life and botanical subjects, shooting a variety of vintage and modern 4x5 and 5x7 cameras.
The Valley Photo Center is located at Tower Square in Springfield, MA. on the second floor mezzanine level across from the City Walk food court. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Friday from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm. The gallery is closed Saturdays, but can opened by special arrangement by contacting gene LaFord at gene.valleyphoto@verizon.net .

Monty McCutchen
27-Jan-2013, 19:15
congrats to both! Wish I could be there to see the work in person.

Have a great show guys.

Monty

Kirk Gittings
27-Jan-2013, 22:29
Cool!

lloyd
28-Jan-2013, 06:40
This promises to be a not to miss event!!

Renato Tonelli
28-Jan-2013, 08:49
Congratulations to both -

I am a bit 'down the road' from the venue but I am going to 'pencil it in'. If anyone else from NYC would like to car-pool to go up, PM me.

John Fink Jr.
28-Jan-2013, 09:04
Congrats Tim and Ken.

sanking
28-Jan-2013, 09:53
That is great. Congratulations to both Tim and Ken. Hope many people visit the show.

Sandy

tgtaylor
28-Jan-2013, 18:43
How about an online link to the work for those of us that are unable to attend?

Thomas

ImSoNegative
28-Jan-2013, 19:10
How about an online link to the work for those of us that are unable to attend?

Thomas

+1

Ken Lee
29-Jan-2013, 14:51
Once the exhibit opens, we will put up some photos of the exhibit itself.

gene LaFord
29-Jan-2013, 15:36
As Ken said... once the photos are up on the walls I was planning on taking some digi-gizmo snaps of the work to post here.

gene

Steve Sherman
30-Jan-2013, 04:19
Both Master printers, don't miss this opening!

Cheers

36cm2
30-Jan-2013, 18:12
Hmmmm, Vaughn in Phila and this wonderful show in Mass. Looks like road trips galore coming up.

Toyon
30-Jan-2013, 19:13
Both Master printers, don't miss this opening!

Cheers

You mean they are doing wet work?

Where is the Valley Photo Center located?

Steve Sherman
30-Jan-2013, 19:23
The Valley Photo Center is located in Springfield Massachusetts directly off of Interstate 91, about 35 minutes north of Hartford, CT.

http://www.valleyphotocenter.com/

Parking garages adjoin the 2nd floor gallery as well as free street parking on the weekends.

With all due respect to the many fine photographers who digitally output their work, when the opportunity to see Large Film negatives wet processed and printed on silver rich fiber paper by either of these two master printers one will easily see the qualities and nuances that only the wet process can reveal.

Cheers,

climbabout
31-Jan-2013, 16:48
Thanks all for the kind words - as this is my first large show, I hope to live up to the expectations. Currently my dining room table is covered with 46 framed prints waiting to be packed up - thank God for a patient wife who tolerates the clutter while things are being assembled.
Looking forward to making new friends at the show and visiting with some old friends as well.
Tim Jones

gene LaFord
9-Feb-2013, 20:19
Bump! :D

Andrew O'Neill
9-Feb-2013, 22:24
Congrats to both of you! Look forward to seeing the posted images.

Ken Lee
10-Feb-2013, 06:04
For the record my prints are inkjet, but I hope you'll like them anyhow.

Ken Lee
10-Feb-2013, 06:29
Popular saying: "You can never be too rich or too thin".

Carl Weese: "You can never have too many film holders"

My observation: "You can never have too many frames"

gene LaFord
11-Feb-2013, 18:48

The Valley Photo Center is located at Tower Square, 1500 main Street in Springfield, MA. on the second floor mezzanine level across from the City Walk food court. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Friday from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm. The gallery is closed Saturdays, but can opened by special arrangement by contacting gene LaFord at gene.valleyphoto@verizon.net .

This is getting closer. I will be putting the work up on the walls in a couple of weeks. The artists' reception is Sunday March 3rd. I hope to see many of you there.

gene

climbabout
16-Feb-2013, 16:27

Toyon - mine is all wet work - mostly 8x10 contact prints from film on fiber paper - mostly on old Portriga - a few Azo and a few Ilford MGWT. I also have a few enlargements from 5x7 and smaller as well in the show. Ken Lee, as indicated here, is exhibiting inkjet. I believe his work originates from film though. He visits here frequently and I am sure he will elaborate on that. Just dropped my work off to Gene today and we hang the show next weekend. I look forward to meeting all you folks who plan to attend on March 3rd
Tim

climbabout
20-Feb-2013, 05:48
I have crafted an official announcement for my part of the upcoming show at the Valley Photo Center in Springfield, MA and thought I would share it here with you -

Friends – I am honored to have been invited to display a 40 year retrospective of my life in photography at the Valley Photo Center in Springfield, Massachusetts. This is an exhibit of 46 carefully chosen images best defining my passion in black and white photography. All images (sans one) are from large format 4x5 through 8x10, - many are contact prints and all are printed in the classical wet darkroom process on fiber based silver paper, a practice essentially unchanged since the late 19th century. Most are printed on vintage cadmium-rich Portriga with a few AZO and Ilford MGWT. Rumor has it I may be asked to do a short question/answer session around 3pm if any of the attendees would like commentary an any of the prints. I hope you can join me on Sunday, March 3rd. The show is free, no RSVP is needed. You may come and go anytime between 2 and 5.

Directions to the VPC can be found here:

http://www.valleyphotocenter.com/

Joining me in this exhibit will be Ken Lee another large format photographer from MA. Who I believe will be displaying digital output imagery from film.

Hope to see you there,
Tim

erie patsellis
20-Feb-2013, 07:47
The Valley Photo Center is located at Tower Square, 1500 main Street in Springfield, MA. on the second floor mezzanine level across from the City Walk food court. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Friday from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm. The gallery is closed Saturdays, but can opened by special arrangement by contacting gene LaFord at gene.valleyphoto@verizon.net .

This is getting closer. I will be putting the work up on the walls in a couple of weeks. The artists' reception is Sunday March 3rd. I hope to see many of you there.

gene

I'm guessing that tower square was once Baystate West. Funny how your mind still thinks in the old references and names.

Figures, I move away after nearly 40 years of not much going on creatively ( other than the Noho/Amherst corridor) and now there's a thriving photo community.

Congrats Tim and Ken, I bet it's a great show.

rjphil
20-Feb-2013, 09:44
Looking forward to some fine work!

Jim Fuller
25-Feb-2013, 14:03
I'm looking forward to seeing the work of both of these superb photographers.

gene LaFord
27-Feb-2013, 18:42
BUMP... just a few more days until the reception this Sunday. A friendly reminder on parking: on-street parking is free on Sundays (except for the usual ticket traps). If you park in the Tower Square garage it'll cost ya.
To reach the VPC, go up the escalators near Cambridge College store front... at the top of the escalators turn left, you can't miss the gallery.
I hope to see many of you on Sunday.

gene

Ken Lee
4-Mar-2013, 06:58
We had a fine turnout. A special thanks to those traveled long distance from Boston, Maine, and beyond.

It would be nice to see some photos if anyone has some to share here.

Monty McCutchen
4-Mar-2013, 07:57
Wish I could have been there for the whole weekend. Sherman throws a good shindig. Congrats on the show Ken and Tim
Monty

Steve Sherman
4-Mar-2013, 19:59
9064190642A terrific show and well attended, up through April 6th

Damn I phone, will try and correct Ken Lee's photo in the AM

Cheers

Steve Sherman
5-Mar-2013, 05:00
90653Ken Lee walking away, thanks Iphone for your delayed shutter

Cheers!

Ken Lee
5-Mar-2013, 13:48
http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/shows/vpc2013/VPC2.jpg

Some members of the New England Large Format Photography Collective. RJ Phil center (green jacket), Steve Sherman in the distance with camera in hand. Marie Curtis, seated.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/shows/vpc2013/VPC1.jpg

Ken Lee talking with some visitors.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/shows/vpc2013/VPC3.jpg

Valley Photo Center. Gene LaFord on the left.

gene LaFord
5-Mar-2013, 18:28
I am very pleased (and relieved) that we had a very good turn-out for the reception for Tim and Ken. I already have been receiving quite favorable comments about the photos on the walls at the VPC.

gene

h2oman
5-Mar-2013, 20:31
How about some photos of the photos? Not necessarily individually, but a few shots of the hanging and sequencing.

climbabout
8-Mar-2013, 16:58
How about some photos of the photos? Not necessarily individually, but a few shots of the hanging and sequencing.

Here are some digi-snaps my wife took - perhaps Ken has some from his work as well:
90873 90874 90875 90876

climbabout
8-Mar-2013, 17:03
Some more:
90877 90878 90879 90880

climbabout
8-Mar-2013, 17:07
a few more:
90881 90888 90883 90884

climbabout
8-Mar-2013, 17:10
and the last few - my wife did not get every piece in the show, but this is a good sampling.

90885 90886 90887

Thanks for looking,
Tim
Climbabout

h2oman
8-Mar-2013, 19:29
Thanks Tim. I would have liked to see them in person! I like the way you mat and frame your work.

Ken Lee
26-Mar-2013, 13:26
The show made it into the local paper in a nice way.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/SpringfieldUnionNews.jpg

climbabout
26-Mar-2013, 14:41
Thanks Ken,
saw this online as well just now:

http://www.masslive.com/living/index.ssf/2013/03/large_format_photography_on_display_at_valley_photo_center.html

Tim