PDA

View Full Version : D-23 - Power Residue

Flauvius
27-Jan-2013, 17:06
After recently trying D-23, Metol & Sodium Suflite, I was surprised to see the amount of powered residue left on everything the developer came in contact . Is that to be expected when using this developer?

Flauvius

IanG
28-Jan-2013, 02:36
It's to be expected you have a 10% Sulphite solution.

Ian

Flauvius
28-Jan-2013, 04:38
Thank you Ian for your confirmation of what I was thinking.

Because of the residue it leaves on everything with which it comes in contact, it's too messy for me. I am sticking with Pyrocat-MC and, where necessary, using it as a divided developer.

Flauvius

Sevo
28-Jan-2013, 05:09
Just be aware that the residue left by D-23 is mostly harmless Sulphite (salt). If you use other developers in a similarly messy way, they will leave just as many active developing agents, but that fact may be hidden as the low solid content leaves less visible spills. But the active chemicals are the dangerous (to photographic materials and the photographer) part in a developer - and pyro in particular is harmful enough to have long been banned from all developers marketed towards consumers. It might be wise to stick to D-23 (where you will see the dried up spills) until you have improved your workplace routines to meticulous cleanliness. Way too many photographers quit developing after developing a developer allergy...

Henry Ambrose
28-Jan-2013, 09:42
Just be aware that the residue left by D-23 is mostly harmless Sulphite (salt). If you use other developers in a similarly messy way, they will leave just as many active developing agents, but that fact may be hidden as the low solid content leaves less visible spills. But the active chemicals are the dangerous (to photographic materials and the photographer) part in a developer - and pyro in particular is harmful enough to have long been banned from all developers marketed towards consumers. It might be wise to stick to D-23 (where you will see the dried up spills) until you have improved your workplace routines to meticulous cleanliness. Way too many photographers quit developing after developing a developer allergy...

Sevo has it right and it would benefit you to pay attention to what he wrote.
If you have stains or residue on your counters, sink and other equipment, its most likely because you're not cleaning well enough.

Tim Meisburger
28-Jan-2013, 16:26
Yes, I agree. I use D23 all the time. The white powder of dried developer just means you are spilling developer. It should not have any effect on your process.

Keith Tapscott.
31-Jan-2013, 03:14
After recently trying D-23, Metol & Sodium Suflite, I was surprised to see the amount of powered residue left on everything the developer came in contact . Is that to be expected when using this developer?

FlauviusIs it on your negatives after processing?