PDA

View Full Version : Efke IR 820 - Afterlife???

MarcinAnton
27-Jan-2013, 11:10
Hi!

I joined the forum, recently. My name is Marcin Anton. I have a question about Efke IR 820. Efke is gone forever, I wonder if anyone has an information about any manufacturer that is interested in producing the material again? Ilford, Fuji, Chupa-Chuoa etc.? Thank you.

www.anton-arte.com

RawheaD
27-Jan-2013, 13:31
Ilford was considering a true IR (I think to the likes of Kodak HIE) but it was shot down. Currently I don't think any company is considering it. We're left with Rollei IR (and Ilford SFX).

MarcinAnton
29-Jan-2013, 02:06
Thank you for reply! Sad story.

www.anton-arte.com

Cor
29-Jan-2013, 02:23
I guess we are indeed left with:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/c405-Black-and-White-Film-Infrared-Type-Film

If you have money to spare..

Best,

Cor

Roger Cole
29-Jan-2013, 03:34
Ilford was considering a true IR (I think to the likes of Kodak HIE) but it was shot down. Currently I don't think any company is considering it. We're left with Rollei IR (and Ilford SFX).

Shot down? When?

Simon commented on APUG that they could easily produce a true IR film if the demand were there though he doubted it. Several of us said we'd buy it and he said he'd present it to the board. I never saw a thing after that. Is that what you are talking about or was this a previous consideration?

I've stocked up on some IR820 which will do me a while. After that it's the Rollei or digital for IR. Sigh.

ImSoNegative
29-Jan-2013, 21:48
wow that is a shame, the last true ir film in my opinion, the first brand i tried was the ilford, then i tried the rollei, then finally the efke, efke blew me away.

Michael Cienfuegos
29-Jan-2013, 22:22
I have a few rolls of Efke IR 820 Aura in 35mm and in 120. I also have a box of 25 in 4x5 in the freezer. After that is gone I guess I won't be shooting any more IR. :(

RawheaD
29-Jan-2013, 22:24
Shot down? When?

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/discuss/72157632227414539/

Roger Cole
30-Jan-2013, 00:53
http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/discuss/72157632227414539/

Thanks, missed that on APUG.

Oh well. :(

RawheaD
30-Jan-2013, 00:59
Well, if you guys don't know this already, I'll let you in on a little secret. This guy's been selling the Efke IR820 (not aura) emulsion 4x5 on Ebay for a while:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121040713474?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

His price was good back then; it's fabulous right now. Either he's just not aware that he's probably one of the last people on earth selling fresh Efke IR820, or he's just a decent guy. Anyway, he hasn't marked up the price of these boxes at all even after the disappearance.

I don't know how many boxes he has left. I've seen the counter run out once, so there's a chance that after the 12 boxes are gone, there would be more. Then again, those may be the last 12 boxes he has.

I purchased a couple hundred sheets from him shortly after the news that Efke was going to go away, and I think I'm pretty much set for the next several years. Might I suggest you do the same (but share! :D )

Roger Cole
30-Jan-2013, 04:27
No expiration date? Wonder how old the stuff is?

IR film DOES degrade with time even when deep frozen, though it lasts well past expiration.

RawheaD
30-Jan-2013, 07:01
If you read his FAQ, it says he purchased it 6 years ago.

polyglot
31-Jan-2013, 03:17
I can confirm that the stuff that guy sells is good, as I bought 200 sheets from him last year. It's fine and with no fog. Anyone who bought this stuff, use it with confidence.

I thought he'd sold out but your link tells me there were 4 boxes left as of two minutes ago, so I bought 'em. Sorry, guys, it's my favourite landscape (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24125157@N00/8343999353/) film (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24125157@N00/8345058130/) (both examples are from that seller) and there's no way I was going to pass up getting the last of it.

Kodachrome25
31-Jan-2013, 11:42
I got some too, how is the emulsion? I only wet print, not scan...

I can confirm that the stuff that guy sells is good, as I bought 200 sheets from him last year. It's fine and with no fog. Anyone who bought this stuff, use it with confidence.

I thought he'd sold out but your link tells me there were 4 boxes left as of two minutes ago, so I bought 'em. Sorry, guys, it's my favourite landscape (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24125157@N00/8343999353/) film (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24125157@N00/8345058130/) (both examples are from that seller) and there's no way I was going to pass up getting the last of it.

RawheaD
31-Jan-2013, 11:43
The same guy has put up a few more boxes of the same thing (pretty much) but labeled/branded as MACO IR820c. Same price (2x 25 sheets for $45). You guys gotta grab it fast, though. It seems like he's really out of the Efke boxes this time around.

RawheaD
31-Jan-2013, 11:47
Now if only I can find a good source for 120s of this (or the Aura). My stash of those won't last too long...

polyglot
31-Jan-2013, 17:00
He just emailed me to say that of the 4 boxes I bought, only 2 exist. Apparently the Maco he's selling was actually made by Efke, is identical, and he has about 90 boxes (~2200 sheets) of it so I'll get that instead.

I got some too, how is the emulsion? I only wet print, not scan...

I've not had any emulsion flaws yet (I use water instead of acidic stop, as that is reported as a common cause of pinholes on Efke products) and I've shot about 50 sheets. It prints beautifully.

Kodachrome25
31-Jan-2013, 17:11
He just emailed me to say that of the 4 boxes I bought, only 2 exist. Apparently the Maco he's selling was actually made by Efke, is identical, and he has about 90 boxes (~2200 sheets) of it so I'll get that instead.

I've not had any emulsion flaws yet (I use water instead of acidic stop, as that is reported as a common cause of pinholes on Efke products) and I've shot about 50 sheets. It prints beautifully.

Thanks, I am the one before you who snagged 6 boxes of it to add to what I already have from the last of Freestyle's stash. Between Rollei IR400 and this, I am very much set, including lots of 120...

polyglot
31-Jan-2013, 17:32
Now if only I can find a good source for 120s of this (or the Aura). My stash of those won't last too long...

This same guy is selling the maco-branded stuff in 120 and 135 at $140 for 10 rolls. Personally, I've just bought a 70mm back and 200' of Rollei IR from macodirect, though I like the Efke look better than Rollei.

I do have my 8 rolls and 350+ sheets of the IR820 though, and the latter I expect to last me quite some time :)

Too Many Cameras
1-Feb-2013, 00:22
Well, it's so far only available in 25mm and 120, but Lomo is releasing an IR film in July (2013) called Lomochrome Purple.

http://usa.shop.lomography.com/films/lomochrome-purple-400-120

The images (I can't find the samples now) look like HIE to me.

Roger Cole
1-Feb-2013, 01:22
Well, it's so far only available in 25mm and 120, but Lomo is releasing an IR film in July (2013) called Lomochrome Purple.

It's not infrared. It's juts sensitive to visible light and has the dyes changed to mimic the look of IR:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/115014-new-batch-false-colour-infrared-film.html

Brian C. Miller
1-Feb-2013, 09:09
No, that's not color IR film. It has a couple of the dyes reversed, so it gives different colors. There's some more info on APUG about it.

largeformatguy
4-Feb-2013, 15:03
After all of the effort to figure developing time and reciprocity correction, and then with its discontinuation, it is good news that ‘chiarescuro’ still has Efke Infrared in 4x5 and 11x14.

At $145/50 sheets for the 11x14, this is a excellent buy. I can cut it to make 3 5x7s or 1 8x10 plus 1 5x7.

Kodachrome25
6-Feb-2013, 16:31
Got my 6 boxes of IR820 from "Chia" yesterday, put them in the freezer along with the 14 boxes of brand labeled / last batch stuff...:-)

FYI, he has upped the price on the Maco version to $60 for 2x25 but still has plenty left.

RawheaD
6-Feb-2013, 16:36
After all of the effort to figure developing time and reciprocity correction, and then with its discontinuation, it is good news that ‘chiarescuro’ still has Efke Infrared in 4x5 and 11x14.

At $145/50 sheets for the 11x14, this is a excellent buy. I can cut it to make 3 5x7s or 1 8x10 plus 1 5x7.

Until very recently, he was selling those boxes for $95 :)

Apparently he's finally come around to understand the demand.. alas. Stil very good prices.

I don't get the math though.... Can't you cut out 4x 5x7 from a sheet of 11X14 (and have a strip of 1" x 14" that you could roll up and use for something lol)?

largeformatguy
7-Feb-2013, 10:51
.... Can't you cut out 4x 5x7 from a sheet of 11X14 (and have a strip of 1" x 14" that you could roll up and use for something lol)?

Silly me.;)

1" x 14"? Hum... there's a thought. Perhaps a paint can ultrawide panorama.

polyglot
7-Feb-2013, 22:28
BTZS testing strips!

Silly me.;)

1" x 14"? Hum... there's a thought. Perhaps a paint can ultrawide panorama.

StoneNYC
8-Feb-2013, 01:09

Why is that film called "LomoCHROME"? It's a C-41 film... Or is it like E-6 x-processed in C-41 gives the IR type colors?

Roger Cole
8-Feb-2013, 05:32
Why is that film called "LomoCHROME"? It's a C-41 film... Or is it like E-6 x-processed in C-41 gives the IR type colors?

Because it sounds hipper than "Crapochrome?"

But point taken, it's intended as a C41 processed negative film so the convention would be that it end in "color" rather than "chrome."

StoneNYC
8-Feb-2013, 05:41

But point taken, it's intended as a C41 processed negative film so the convention would be that it end in "color" rather than "chrome."

Lol, meh, stupid Lomo, just adding to the ignorance of photography... I actually sent them an inquiry about it, "I'm doing a report and I don't understand why it's called lomoCHROME when it's a CN film.. Can you help me so I don't fail on my report?" Haha I want to see if they reply at all...

Sevo
8-Feb-2013, 06:27

That was originally a Kodak only convention, and has only grown into something almost universal after Kodak dropped the monopoly on its processes and expanded globally. Agfa consumer slide film still was named Agfacolor CT xx (for xx the DIN speed) until Agfa dropped their own process and switched over to E6/C41 in the eighties - Agfa-process films from other makers had similar nomenclatures.

StoneNYC
8-Feb-2013, 07:03
That was originally a Kodak only convention, and has only grown into something almost universal after Kodak dropped the monopoly on its processes and expanded globally. Agfa consumer slide film still was named Agfacolor CT xx (for xx the DIN speed) until Agfa dropped their own process and switched over to E6/C41 in the eighties - Agfa-process films from other makers had similar nomenclatures.

Still with the exception of VeriCHROME, I can't think of another film that isn't a chrome... They should have called it LomoColorPurple... LomoColor doesn't sound that bad ...

Sevo
8-Feb-2013, 10:36
Still with the exception of VeriCHROME, I can't think of another film that isn't a chrome...

Dufaychrome (a.k.a. British Tricolor), for one - that was a process utilizing a three strip negative that was printed to a Agfa process positive. There will be more motion picture processes with chrome in the name around - and (except for amateur and industry cine films where the original was supposed to be projected) these generally employed a negative.

StoneNYC
8-Feb-2013, 13:41
Dufaychrome (a.k.a. British Tricolor), for one - that was a process utilizing a three strip negative that was printed to a Agfa process positive. There will be more motion picture processes with chrome in the name around - and (except for amateur and industry cine films where the original was supposed to be projected) these generally employed a negative.

And we wonder why amateur people get confused and annoyed with film...

Roger Cole
8-Feb-2013, 21:17

I'm actually aware of that, but when was that? For decades now "color" has meant negative and "chrome" positive. Of course there's no real requirement to follow this, but then why not?

leomadunic
25-Feb-2013, 07:53

Hi,

just joined the forum.I live in Croatia and I have large supply of expired (09/2010) Efke IR 820 in 120 medium format kept in fridge (I sell some on Ebay as well).I can sell it for 10US$ per roll + shipping.I have over 100 rolls of film for selling.
If you are interested you can email me on leomadunic@yahoo.com.

LF_rookie_to_be
13-Apr-2013, 09:20
If anyone's interested, I can get quite a few rolls of IR820 AURA dated 2014 for $8.50 per roll. But you have to account for shipping from central Europe... PM, please.

Kodachrome25
6-Jun-2013, 13:44
Got my 6 boxes of IR820 from "Chia" yesterday, put them in the freezer along with the 14 boxes of brand labeled / last batch stuff...:-)

OK, I just bought 4 more boxes from this same seller (http://www.ebay.com/itm/111051651061?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) on ebay because after getting around to doing a run of ten sheets from the first set last night, I find they are flawless. I did a 4 minute pre-soak in distilled water, rotary processed for 13 minutes at 68F in Xtol 1+1 in distilled water, 1/2 strength stop bath in distilled water, pre-fix rinse in distilled water....no spots, no marks, just perfect...yeah...distilled water + Efke = good negs.

He has 9 50 sheet boxes left, I am set at 1,200 sheets of the stuff so I highly suggest if you are looking for not-too-expensive IR820 in 4x5, get some of this film!