PDA

View Full Version : Mounting kozo goyu light paper

mitomac
26-Jan-2013, 20:12
Greetings,

I've been experimenting with the Kozo Goyu 'light' paper from B&S for pt/pd printing. After much trial and error I've figured out to coat the stuff. However, I'm a bit stumped on how to flatten and mount the final prints. Is dry mounting required? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

mitomac

FYI - this paper is sponge and immediately soaks through. I've resorted to the following for coating (8x10):

1 ml FO
1 ml Pd solution
40 ul NaPt
6 ml H20

pour coating solution on glass plate
lay paper on puddle and allow surface tension/absorption to coat paper
allow to dry (excess H20 evaporates leaving a nice evenly coated paper)

Cletus
27-Jan-2013, 04:31
Wow, that's a lot to go through. I have some of this paper, but I haven't tried it, in favor of the heavyweight Kozo, which is also very nice and apparently much easier to work with!

FWIW - heavy Kozo is still quite lightweight compared to Arches PT, or other heavy watercolor and art papers. It has a surface similar to vellum and coats like a dream. It becomes almost translucent when wet and retains a kind of 'luminosity' when dry. Nice paper and one of my favorites.

I was thinking about trying the Goyu Kozo, but after your post I'm having second thoughts! As for mounting, I guess I'd just dry mount it like anything else. I use Colormount tissue, which doesn't seem to penetrate the paper and can easily be removed by reheating for 30 secs or so n the press. I don't see why the Goyu Kozo would be any different, despite its tissue-like texture and weight.

I'd be interested to hear how it works out, or anything else you have to say about this paper.

Doug Howk
27-Jan-2013, 04:44
A few years ago I saw an exhibit of platinum prints on kozo goyu paper wherein the prints were float mounted with hinge of bookbinder tape (Filmoplast by Neschen, a German company). Seemed effective.

As to coating on the thin kozo from B&S, I tried my normal procedure of pouring and brushing; but it was absorbed before could spread. Some earlier sheets from B&S were sized, and they coated fine.

mitomac
27-Jan-2013, 08:14
Many thanks for the comments on mounting. Will give it a go!

The coating is no more arduous than brushing. It is essentially the same drop count you would normally use just diluted ~3 fold with water. I gave up fighting this paper with brushing and just accepted that it wanted to absorb everything - so I let it. This is just enough solution to saturate the paper. The only difficult part is the patience in waiting for it to dry.

Cheers,

mitomac