PDA

View Full Version : Re: Question on Sinar Lens Boards

trev2401
26-Jan-2013, 09:00
Salutations! I've been a lurker on LF for quite a while, since 2005 when i walked around college with a speed graphic. So far, this place simply rocks! The people are lovely, the information shared here has helped me tons.

So ok, kinda need a bit of help on this.

I've been using a Toyo 45A2 and Canham DLC45 all this while. My work has made me move towards rail cameras, and i recently acquired a Sinar F2 which will arrive in a week.

So my questions are:
1. Can my current lens boards used on the Toyo 45A2 and the DLC45 be used on the Sinar?

2. If they can't, which i suspect so, is there an adapter to adapt the toyo or Canham lens boards to the Sinar F2?

Thanks in advance!

(btw, if anyone here has Sinar boards for sale, drop me a PM too....)
:)

Leonard Robertson
26-Jan-2013, 11:02
Sinar boards are approximately 138mm square. I searched a bit for the board sizes for the cameras you have, and it looks like they may be smaller (110mm square?), but you can measure yours to be sure. A seller on eBay "mcmch" lists a variety of adapter boards he makes, and in some of his listing mentions he can make adapters other than the ones he has listed. That might be a place to start looking.

Sinar boards on eBay sell for all sorts of prices. There are generic China Sinar boards available, and Horseman boards are the same size as Sinar. I've found boards at decent prices from KEH http://www.keh.com/ I tend to get the cheapest they have since I'm not fussy about cosmetics, and I can bore different size holes myself.

Len

Ed Bray
26-Jan-2013, 11:08
Here you go! (http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Sinar-4x5-to-Toyo-Lens-Adapter-/150978400088?pt=US_Lens_Boards&hash=item2327038f58)

I've more than a dozen Sinar/Horsemann boards but am in the UK so the shipping would probably be prohibitive.

Oren Grad
26-Jan-2013, 11:09
And greetings! :)

2. If they can't, which i suspect so, is there an adapter to adapt the toyo or Canham lens boards to the Sinar F2?

SK Grimes can make a Toyo (or Canham)-to-Sinar adapter, though it will be pricey. Very occasionally you might find the SKG adapter second-hand. Also keep an eye on eBay - Chinese sellers offer a variety of lensboard adapters, perhaps you can find Toyo-to-Sinar.

Caveat - there is a Toyo-branded Sinar-to-Toyo adapter, but this is for mounting Sinar boards on Toyo view cameras that use the large Toyo monorail board.

Ed Bray
26-Jan-2013, 11:12
And greetings! :)

SK Grimes can make a Toyo (or Canham)-to-Sinar adapter, though it will be pricey. Very occasionally you might find the SKG adapter second-hand. Also keep an eye on eBay - Chinese sellers offer a variety of lensboard adapters, perhaps you can find Toyo-to-Sinar.

Caveat - there is a Toyo-branded Sinar-to-Toyo adapter, but this is for mounting Sinar boards on Toyo view cameras that use the large Toyo monorail board.

The one I posted the link to is for a Toyo 110mm board to the Sinar 140mm board.

Gem Singer
26-Jan-2013, 11:27
KEH has a previously owned adapter lens board listed on their web site. It is designed to adapt 110mm Toyo/Canham lens boards to the larger sized Sinar boards.

See: www.keh.com

Ed Bray
26-Jan-2013, 11:50
KEH has a previously owned adapter lens board listed on their web site. It is designed to adapt 110mm Toyo/Canham lens boards to the larger sized Sinar boards.

See: www.keh.com

Wow, $199 i think I'd go for the Chinese version at $75

trev2401
27-Jan-2013, 03:25
Here you go! (http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Sinar-4x5-to-Toyo-Lens-Adapter-/150978400088?pt=US_Lens_Boards&hash=item2327038f58)

I've more than a dozen Sinar/Horsemann boards but am in the UK so the shipping would probably be prohibitive.

Hi Ed and all, thanks so much for all your input... :)

For the link to ebay, let me confirm: This adapter would enable me to use my toyo 45a2 boards + canham boards on my Sinar F2? Seems a tad cheap.... (76$ !!!) Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks again.. everyone's been very helpful. :)

Ed Bray
27-Jan-2013, 04:23
Hi Ed and all, thanks so much for all your input... :)

For the link to ebay, let me confirm: This adapter would enable me to use my toyo 45a2 boards + canham boards on my Sinar F2? Seems a tad cheap.... (76$ !!!) Anyone had experience with this?Thanks again.. everyone's been very helpful. :)

I received an adapter from this seller on the 5th May 2012 (page 35 of his feedback), it wasn't the one that you are looking for but it was as described, better than expected in fact and did the job well, I placed another order with him in June (page 30 of his feedback). If it is not suitable (which I doubt) then all you have to do is send it back and he will refund you, all it will cost you is the return postage.

jonreid
27-Jan-2013, 04:24
Check also an eBay seller named jinfinance. He does various adaptor boards. Good quality and price.

Ed Bray
27-Jan-2013, 04:33
Check also an eBay seller named jinfinance. He does various adaptor boards. Good quality and price.

Yep, I concur, I have also used jinfinance more than a few times for boards and adapters.

Gem Singer
27-Jan-2013, 07:54
I just realized that the Arca Swiss to Sinar adapter board listed on the KEH website is not the one for the OP is looking for.

Although the 110mm size is the same, the adapter board shown has a round opening.

Toyo Field/Canham boards require a square opening.

Brand name adapter lens boards are usually higher priced than generic boards.