PDA

View Full Version : speed graphic...

Dean Taylor
26-Jan-2013, 05:19
hello

(newcomer to LF/Speed Graphic)

Would anyone know if it is feasible to use an electronic flash with the Speed Graphic--(versus the flash bulb system...).

If so, which economic flash do you recommend? How might I arrange the 'sync' issue--re: both focal plane shutter and lens shutter? New cables needed as well?

also...any thoughts on this offering (might it be worthwhile with some patient, informed attention)? I recall reading here that lens fungus is not necessarily an insurmountable issue...

http://is.gd/wmeKTJ

thank you for taking the time to clarify...!

David de Gruyl
26-Jan-2013, 06:39
I am pretty sure the shutter in that lens can be used with any flash that uses as sync cable. I don't know about using the focal plane shutter and flash. I have a crown graphic that I use with a Metz hammer head flash, for what it's worth.

If one of the sync posts is marked X it should work with electronic flash.

Dan Fromm
26-Jan-2013, 07:13
The Graphic focal plane shutter won't synchronize with electronic flash. The leaf shutter will.

I wouldn't buy that camera. But that's my preferences speaking.

Dean Taylor
26-Jan-2013, 07:23
thanks Dan and Dave--your shared expertise is much appreciated

rich815
26-Jan-2013, 07:50
When it says "not tested for pinholes" it means it has pinholes.

Buy one from someone here as I did. They come up from time to time. Post a WTB.

Dean Taylor
26-Jan-2013, 08:29
thanks, Rich--post submitted...

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2013, 08:37
You should edit your ad to state that X-synch on the shutter is one of your key requirements.

Dean Taylor
26-Jan-2013, 08:38
someone at photo.net posted this item:

http://photo.net/gc/view-one?classified_ad_id=1462090

how does the camera look to you?

is film yet available for the Polaroid holder?

thanks again!

Dean Taylor
26-Jan-2013, 08:39
thanks Brian--will do!

interestingly, a lad down in Brea (near you, an hour-and-a-half from me) has quite a lot of gear--including a nice Speed, but he won't sell off the camera without the other items...

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pho/3541804763.html

Best,

Dean

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2013, 09:12
someone at photo.net posted this item:

http://photo.net/gc/view-one?classified_ad_id=1462090

how does the camera look to you?

is film yet available for the Polaroid holder?

thanks again!

Very clean looking Anniversary Graphic. That is my favorite of all Graphic Press camera. Shutter appears to be WITHOUT synch. It dates from 1940 to 1946 so electronic flash wasn't much of a considreation -- flash bulbs were in vogue. Would be fine for everything you want to do except electronic flash. But changing the lens-and-shutter with one that has the proper synch for your purposes would be easy and fairly affordable.

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2013, 09:14
p.s. That one is from 1940 (to be exact). The 545 holder is basically only useful as a doorstop these days... unless you are really into eperimenting with old film that has a high likelihood of not working.

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2013, 09:17
thanks Brian--will do!

interestingly, a lad down in Brea (near you, an hour-and-a-half from me) has quite a lot of gear--including a nice Speed, but he won't sell off the camera without the other items...

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pho/3541804763.html

Best,

Dean

A "newer" camera than the one on photo.net. All of that stuff except the 545 is potentially usefull. Price is not a bargain but in a single effort you'd be completely set up. I'm not sure if that lens will close up inthe camera or not. You should check to find out if the rangefinder has been set up for htat lens. If so... great. If not, then you can't really hand-hold the camera and shoot. The shutter certainly should have the proper synch for your desires.

Dean Taylor
26-Jan-2013, 09:17
"Very clean looking Anniversary Graphic. That is my favorite of all Graphic Press camera."

please enlighten: why is it preferable to, say, the Pacemaker?

Best,

D.

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2013, 09:20
The pacemaker has some features that seem to be flaky - the front/rear switch in particular. I like the Anny because it is simpler. Also the Anny lensboards can be made at home in less than an hour. The Pacemaker and later are metal.

Other people woyuld say I'm nuts. Often the Crown is touted as best for lgihter weight. I would rather work out than buy a lighter camera. ha ha. My other Graphic is a SuperGraphic and I like all of the electronic complexities.

But when it comes to just taking a decent picture I find that the Anny has all of the required features (especially if retrofit witha Graflok back) and none of the fiddly things that tend to go wrong.

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2013, 09:25
p.s. All of this assumes that you are aware that the Anny side rangefinder can only be set up for one lens at a time, and some of the later top rangefinders have cams that can be changed in the field for different lenses. I only use one lens on my Graphics and use another kind fo viewcamera when I'll be using different lenses.

Dean Taylor
26-Jan-2013, 09:49
thanks again, Brian...

Dan Fromm
26-Jan-2013, 10:19
The price for the lens on the craigslist top RF speed is very very high. If you want the camera, buy it, then buy a lens from, e.g., KEH.com.

Always check lens prices against KEH before buying.

Dean Taylor
26-Jan-2013, 11:57
thanks, Dan.

The seller had the nerve to quote a price of over $1200 [!].

mike rosenlof
26-Jan-2013, 12:26
Many of the lenses for a speed have a 'bi-post' sync terminal. Two male posts. You'll need to find a bi-post to PC adapter. They exist and I've got one purchased within the last 20 years, but keep that in mind. There's no magic in the adapter, the posts are the two ends of a switch, when the switch closes, the flash fires so you could hack something if you find a PC socket and some wire.

You can always buy a camera and get a lens for it elsewhere. The common focal lengths are 135mm or maybe 127 and tend to have a largish max aperture (for LF lenses). As said before, the side RF is adjustable for a single focal length at a time. Instructions are findable on line, probably graflex.org or something like that. They're very usable cameras...

Dean Taylor
26-Jan-2013, 12:31
thanks. Mike.

Jo from the Netherlands has a world of information at his site--he stripped one right down to the nitty gritty (new leather and all!).

http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/repairing/Katrina.html

EdSawyer
26-Jan-2013, 12:53
I think the pacemaker with graflok back and side-mounted Kalart is the best iteration of the speed graphic. Works with the most lens and back combinations of any of them. also it's the most recent iteration with the FP shutter.

Dean Taylor
26-Jan-2013, 12:56
hi Ed

Is that the set-up you have?

Best,

Dean

WayneStevenson
26-Jan-2013, 13:04
Aligator clips on the end of a PC sync cable will work with the bi-post. You'll get sync at all speeds.

RawheaD
26-Jan-2013, 13:49
I have a user Pacemaker w/ Graflok back, with OK cosmetics but near-perfect mechanics which I can deliver to you with the RF fully calibrated to the standard lens. Let me know if you're interested.

Dean Taylor
26-Jan-2013, 14:00
if time permits might you post a photo or two?

thank you!

RawheaD
26-Jan-2013, 14:06
Sure thing :)

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2013, 14:13
Many of the lenses for a speed have a 'bi-post' sync terminal. Two male posts. You'll need to find a bi-post to PC adapter. They exist and I've got one purchased within the last 20 years, but keep that in mind.

Still can be found new: $20 or so from Paramount.

EdSawyer
28-Jan-2013, 14:58
Dean: Yes, that's what I have. I got your PM but haven't had a chance to take that one out and take some pics of it yet. Will try to do so soon if you havent' found one already.

thanks
-Ed

Dean Taylor
28-Jan-2013, 17:28
please do...

thanks, Ed!