PDA

View Full Version : Omega D5 manual please

ac12
25-Jan-2013, 00:02
Does any one have a scanned instruction manual for the Omega D5?
The one on the Jollinger site is incorrect/not complete.
http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-coll/manuals/enlargers/omega/OmegaD3andD5.pdf

thanks

bigdog
25-Jan-2013, 10:03
I have a hardcopy reproduction that seems to be a different version for only the D5. It's only 14 pages and the pdf you cite is 17 pages. The pdf has all the pages out of order, so it is hard to tell if there are pages missing. What specifically do you need to know?

ac12
25-Jan-2013, 10:53
Page out of order, no wonder I was so confused trying to read it.

The lens locking lever.
- What level to position the lens board for different focal length lenses.
- And how to adjust/fix the locking lever. Mine does not cam tight to hold the lens board at any position.

thanks

bigdog
25-Jan-2013, 12:32
The lens locking lever.
- What level to position the lens board for different focal length lenses.
- And how to adjust/fix the locking lever. Mine does not cam tight to hold the lens board at any position.

I had never thought to look in the manual for the correct positions - I just did it by trial and error. Approximating the focal length of the lens gets close in theory, and in practice, you can move the lens stage up and down until the negative is at or near in focus. Having said that, my copy of the manual states:

"Lenses of 50mm focal length and shorter will require the bellows positioned at the top of the adjustable track, around No.15. Lenses from 75mm to 105mm require the bellows positioned at No. 10, and 135mm lenses and longer should be positioned at No. 4. These position numbers should be read from the bottom of the lens stage."

I do not have an answer for repairing the locking lever itself, sorry. :( My D5 is currently in storage and not easy to get at or I'd fiddle with it to see if I could see something.

Cletus
25-Jan-2013, 13:33
Huh! Thanks for the useful info! I always wondered why the bellows was adjustable on my D5XL and always just kinda kept it in the middlin' range. I'm still not completely sure why I'm adjusting it, but I plan to copy your excerpt from the manual and do some comparisons now.

I'm guessing this will make some difference as to how high or low I need to crank the head on the column for different size prints? Funny what you can learn just browsing around sometimes! :)

George Richards
25-Jan-2013, 13:57
Regarding the locking lever for the focus, it may be adjustable or maybe broken. This thread has some info near the bottom. http://www.classic-enlargers.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1194309688/1

I had to replace the plastic dovetail piece on mine with a brass piece to get a good lock.

ac12
25-Jan-2013, 15:13
Thanks for the link George.
Luckily the plastic dovetail was not broken, but I might order a replacement brass one from Harry anyway. I can see where part of the plastic dovetail was cracking, so sooner or later it will give way.

I just figured out how to fix the locking lever.
There is a small allen screw on the side of the lever.
I unscrewed the allen screw just enough to release the lever, removed the lever, then used a plier to slowly turn the screw that the lever was on clock-wise, until the lens carrier was holding firm and not slipping down.
I reversed the screw about 120 degrees, put the lever on (in the right side position), screwed in the allen screw to secure the lever to the screw.
Turn the locking lever to the left, to verify that it will hold the lens carrier.
Done :-)

bigdog
25-Jan-2013, 17:23
I'm guessing this will make some difference as to how high or low I need to crank the head on the column for different size prints?

Um, no. Not for any one lens.

The adjustable bellows replaced the need for different lens cones for different lenses on earlier model Omega enlargers. It facilitates focusing and has nothing to do with magnification. Now, changing to a different focal length lens will change the height of the head for a given size print.

ic-racer
25-Jan-2013, 18:15
I always wondered why the bellows was adjustable on my D5XL and always just kinda kept it in the middlin' range. I'm still not completely sure why I'm adjusting it,

That is how you focus the enlarger.

ic-racer
25-Jan-2013, 18:18
The service manual has some useful informatiom: http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-coll/manuals/enlargers/omega/Tech%20Service%20Manual%20-%20Various.pdf

ac12
26-Jan-2013, 20:10
FANTASTIC
Thanks ic-racer