PDA

View Full Version : Film Loading

Stanley Kubrick
22-Jan-2013, 15:00
Hello, I need some help with getting the film into the holder. As far as I am aware 5x4 film is in a box which has another layer inside, which opens up to the sleeve the film is in. I was just wondering if the film sleeve inside is light proof, or will I have to open the box from the beginning in total darkness.

Thanks

victorknotzel
22-Jan-2013, 15:33
I peel the tape off the box in the light and open it in total darkness. Just to be sure that I do not mess up

C. D. Keth
22-Jan-2013, 15:46
The black plastic is light proof but you don't know that it has no holes. It's a safety measure so I wouldn't bypass it. Film is expensive enough without accidentally flashing a box.

kgm
22-Jan-2013, 16:07
Kodak 4x5 film comes in foil pouches that are sealed, so I suppose that you could open the box if you trust that the foil is still intact. Ilford film comes in pouches that are folded but open at one end. I would never open a box of film except in total darkness. Since it's not difficult to open the box in darkness, I can't think of any reason not to.

ROL
22-Jan-2013, 16:15
Depending on the film and its origin, I have experienced sealed dark bags (have scissors at the ready), unsealed folded dark bags, suspiciously opaque "dark bags", an even no bag, in triple or double boxes, interleaved and not. Don't F' with it. Open in total darkness, unsealing the box before hand as previously suggested to prevent unnecessary futzing around in the dark.

Pawlowski6132
22-Jan-2013, 16:16
Why take the risk? Why even ask the question?

Dan Henderson
22-Jan-2013, 17:03
I use 4x5" Ilford FP4+ film, usually I buy it in 100 sheet boxes. The box is triple, that is, there is the top and bottom that can be seen, then another "top" inside the bottom, to make a light trap effect I guess. Inside the box are 4 black plastic envelopes, each holding 25 sheets of film. As has been stated, the envelopes are folded over at their open ends, but not sealed in any way. I cannot speak to other brands/models.

I cut the tape that seals the box, go dark, then open the box, get out the first bag, and proceed to load my holders.

When I am done loading, I double, sometimes triple check that I did, in fact, put the film back in the envelope and the envelope back in the box, and closed the box. Shit happens.

After the first opening, I put the 3 remaining bags inside a 25 sheet box that I saved from previous purchases, put each box in a Ziplock bag, and store them in the freezer to keep them fresh.

ROL
22-Jan-2013, 17:04
Why take the risk? Why even ask the question?

The stress of handling sheet film for the first time, from loading to developing, can be considerable. At least I remember it being that way. Coming from other ease–of–use roll formats, the whole idea of handling sheet film can be foreign and daunting. I certainly recall wondering what kind of beast lurked in those (yellow) boxes, having never seen inside them prior to beginning my LF journeys.

"Life is like a box of sheet film. You never know what you are going to get." – Forrest Grump

ImSoNegative
22-Jan-2013, 19:05
The stress of handling sheet film for the first time, from loading to developing, can be considerable. At least I remember it being that way. Coming from other ease–of–use roll formats, the whole idea of handling sheet film can be foreign and daunting. I certainly recall wondering what kind of beast lurked in those (yellow) boxes, having never seen inside them prior to beginning my LF journeys.

"Life is like a box of sheet film. You never know what you are going to get." – Forrest Grump

agreed!! what you said brought back memories : ))

Stanley Kubrick
22-Jan-2013, 19:42
Ah, I see. Thanks, I will not open the box in the light!

welly
22-Jan-2013, 22:03
http://i.imgur.com/X5CGHzN.jpg

Stanley Kubrick
23-Jan-2013, 14:41
http://i.imgur.com/X5CGHzN.jpg

Thats really fantastic.

Colin Robertson
26-Jan-2013, 17:06
Stanley, sorry, been away for work all week. Have you tried this yet? Youtube has some videos on loading holders (just search for Loading film holders!) Are you using Ilford (bag in a box in a box) or Fuji (sealed foil pack in a box in a box). If all is going well, good. If you need to talk to somebody PM me and I'll send you a phone number (I'm in Scotland) and happily talk you through opening the box and loading holders.

"Mein Fuhrer . . . I can walk!"

nimo956
27-Jan-2013, 11:13
I loaded film for the first time the other day from watching videos online. I think I fed it into the slots correctly, since I was able to put the dark slide back on, but how can you be sure? Is there a chance the film is not flat?

Jack Dahlgren
29-Jan-2013, 15:34
I loaded film for the first time the other day from watching videos online. I think I fed it into the slots correctly, since I was able to put the dark slide back on, but how can you be sure? Is there a chance the film is not flat?

I have some tips here:

http://zo-d.com/stuff/photography/how-to-load-4x5-sheet-film-holders.html

In particular you can use your finger and bend the film slightly forward to make sure it is engaged in the slots instead of being between the slide and the slot. See the fifth picture for details.