PDA

View Full Version : Suitability of Nikor 4x5 tank for Pyro?

David R Munson
21-Jan-2013, 13:29
Despite what seems (to me) to be rather crazy pricing on the Nikor tanks I'm finding out there, I'm considering one for my 4x5 processing because I'm tired of being dependent upon light-proofing a room every time I move and want to develop 4x5 again. I've done a lot of digging here and other sites and the consensus seems to be that development *can* be uneven but doesn't necessarily have to be. Pyro and pyro-like developers seem more tricky on agitation, though, and I can't seem to find a good answer on this:

Is there any reason I can't get good, even development of Acros in Pyrocat MC using a Nikor 4x5 tank? I'm doing stuff with a lot of open sky these days so avoiding uneven development is really, really important.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
21-Jan-2013, 15:28
If you follow their recommended agitation I don't foresee any issues with uneven developing. I got perfectly good results with Efke 100 and Pyrocat HD, although because the recommended agitation is a bit light (15 seconds every two minutes, as I recall) I did have some problems building up enough contrast for alt prints.

David R Munson
21-Jan-2013, 15:34
Good to hear. Since I posted this question, I found a decent deal on one of the tanks and jumped on it. I'd still appreciate the input of others, but I'll also be following-up (eventually) with my own observations.

Bernice Loui
21-Jan-2013, 23:37
Yes, it works. Been there done that.

What is important when using this Nikkor tank,

*Make sure the adjustable end has a tiny bit of space between the sheet of film and spiral guide. Make sure this space is uniform across the entire spool. If not loading is going to be trouble. Make sure the thumb screws that set this distance are tight.

*The retaining band that goes around the middle after the sheets of film is loaded needs to face the opposite spiral direction. If not, the film will get pinched between the spool spirals and the retaining band leaving an awful un-developed band on the neg.

I'm shocked at the market price of these Nikkor tanks today. They were so cheap and plentiful back then. No one really wanted them. Who could have guess.

Bernice

David R Munson
22-Jan-2013, 08:20
Thanks Bernice. The prices these days are not for the faint of heart, but in trying to plan for my next international move it really seems like my best option, so I went for it. If things work the way I need them to, it will do a lot to simplify things and let me do a better job of keeping up with film development.

Light Guru
22-Jan-2013, 08:49
If you want a daylight developing solution that is much cheaper then the Nikor 4x5 tank check out the Mod54

jb7
22-Jan-2013, 09:17
Is there any reason I can't get good, even development of Acros in Pyrocat MC using a Nikor 4x5 tank?
Thoughts?

Thanks!

I think the only difficulty will be with stand, or semi stand development- I've only tried it once, with 510 Pyro.
The stainless radial ribs in the centre of the tank can influence development- I'm not sure exactly how, but areas of film in their vicinity receive less development, perhaps because developer becomes exhausted in the smaller confined space?

If you plan on developing with intermittent agitation, this shouldn't be a problem at all-

David R Munson
22-Jan-2013, 09:21
If you want a daylight developing solution that is much cheaper then the Nikor 4x5 tank check out the Mod54

Well, I've already purchased the Nikor, but I'm keeping the Mod54 in mind in case it doesn't work out. I may even purchase a Mod54 and compare results between the two. One advantage of the Nikor is that if I don't like it, I can always sell it for about what I paid. Plus I kind of detest plastic tanks and reels, so the Nikor satisfies my steel-lust. :)

Jac@stafford.net
22-Jan-2013, 09:33
A tip on the Nikor 4x5 tank!

There are two different tanks that can be used with the reel. The one that comes with the Nikor, and the Nikor tank for two 220 reels. They are the same diameter, but the later is a bit taller which allows for more solution. I used the later, and put a spare lid cap as a spacer inside the tank over the top of the reel. This keeps the reel from surging and causing streaks.

I sold my Nikor reel and original tank setup just last month for less than $200. Still have the 220 setup.

C. D. Keth
22-Jan-2013, 09:41
I've been trying a nikor tank for stand development and have been getting pretty even results. I think I'll go to a bit more agitation to fix the last small unevenness I do have. I'm doing fomapan 200 in pyrocat-hd at a dilution of 1.5:1:150 for 36 minutes, agitation for first minute and then for 15 seconds at the 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 points.

Fred L
22-Jan-2013, 09:43
As well and it may just be mine tanks but the cap is the worst I've ever had in terms of staying on. ALways ssems to be loose. Right royal pain and why I use Jobo now and the Nikor sits unused even though it takes 12 sheets. But agree with a previous poster, make sure the top section and the set screws are aligned properly for height.

David R Munson
22-Jan-2013, 09:48
Fred, do you mean the lid for the tank or the small cap on the lid? The one I ended up buying is missing the small cap, so I'm going to have to improvise something there as is.

Michael Cienfuegos
22-Jan-2013, 10:24
I found the Freestyle replacement vinyl lid has a small cap which fits. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/161816-Arista-Tank-PVC-Replacement-Top?cat_id=1603 When I found my Nikor tank it too was missing that little cap and this fits snugly.

David R Munson
22-Jan-2013, 11:21
Good to know. I actually have a couple extra plastic lids with caps, so hopefully one of those will work.

Fred L
22-Jan-2013, 17:53
sorry Dave, the small cap. Sounds like I should have looked at the plastic pour cap ;) I also found it much better to have the developer in the tank first, THEN lower the loaded reel into the tank. I found pouring dev into the hole too slow for my liking. For the following steps I wasn't fussed, just the developer.

EdSawyer
24-Jan-2013, 10:20
They are pricey but they seem to be holding their value well (Nikor 4x5 tanks) and are about the best solution to doing a lot of film at once, with a minimum of fuss, and minimal quantities of chemistry.

C. D. Keth
24-Jan-2013, 11:48
The cap on mine doesn't really fit either. I just press it to the lid when I invert the tank and don't worry about it. It doesn't leak any significant quantity of fluid if I do that.

David R Munson
25-Jan-2013, 21:35
The Nikor tank came today and I've gone about fiddling with it so that it will fit the film with the recommended leeway. I've even gone and practiced loading it a number of times. At this rate, I may even do a test run tomorrow with TXP and HC-110 (will try the Acros/Pyrocat-MC once I've got the kinks worked out) tomorrow some time. Will report back.

Oh, and a spare plastic cap I had on hand fits the tank lid perfectly.

David R Munson
27-Jan-2013, 17:43
Initial run with the tank went pretty well. Only problem was that somewhere about halfway through I looked at the instruction sheet again out of curiosity and noted that it called for 36oz of chemistry for 4x5 whereas I had only used 32oz (more accurately, 1000ml). The film looks fine, though, so...maybe a liter is enough? Thoughts?

Bill Burk
27-Jan-2013, 22:22
Do 36 ounces...

I personally vowed to just add 4 ounces of water to the developer next time I used the tank. However I haven't used it in a long time.

I figured the slight dilution over the usual mix would be insignificant.

And I appreciate the convenience of using 16 ounces of stock (thus depleting my stock in half bottle increments).

I figure there would be less harm caused by weak developer than the harm caused by coming up 1/8 inch short of developer.

David R Munson
28-Jan-2013, 00:04
I'll do 36oz starting with my next batch tomorrow. It's just a weird volume is all, and inconvenient since I keep my fixer split into 1000ml bottles (use one up, then start the next). I suppose I could just keep a partial second bottle for a little more fixer, though. Better safe than sorry.

Bernice Loui
28-Jan-2013, 10:43
Fill the Nikkor tank with enough solution to cover the loaded film spool. More solution can limit solution circulation when the tank is inverted during agitation.

Once the film is covered, more is not going to help or make a difference.

Bernice

C. D. Keth
28-Jan-2013, 10:48
I've been mixing 1L of developer and using it for stand development and haven't had any problems with that quantity. Since I'm not mixing them fresh each time, I tend to add somewhat more water stop and fixer than a strict liter.