PDA

View Full Version : Need a new compact film developer while on the road

Tim k
20-Jan-2013, 16:58
I've been happily dunkin my hp5 and tmy in Xtol for a while now. But plans are in the works for a couple years on the road in the rv. And space is at a premium. Clanking bottles of Xtol is not the ideal solution.

I dont shoot a lot of film, and I use little 1.5" daylight inversion tubes, one sheet at a time. They require about 200ml to cover a sheet of 4x5.

Something like Hc would fit the bill, but I'm not so much of a fan. I liked ilfosol3 but it didn't hold up well once I opened the bottle. I guess in the big picture tossing half a bottle now and then isn't a big deal.

I've considered trying a pyro developer, but never made the move. If I understand what I read, I'll have to measure 2 ml of solution for each sheet. That seems a little twitchy to me, if I'm off just a little bit with my measurements, it seems like it could be a large error.

I don't want to start another "which pyro" thread, but I guess I kinda do. Anybody care to weigh in on what would be a good fit for my lil tubes. Idiot proof is a plus. Or any thoughts in general. I'll be limited to scanning for a while as well.

thx

jp
20-Jan-2013, 17:03
I have disposable plastic bulbed pipettes which dispense 0-3ml, perfect for measuring pyro concentrates. 1ml is more than an inch in the pipette, very easy to measure. pyrocat HD or PMK in glycol from formulary is about the easiest and it lasts forever. Have two pipettes, one for each part of the concentrate, and don't mix them up to prevent cross-contam.

Tim k
20-Jan-2013, 17:08
I have disposable plastic bulbed pipettes which dispense 0-3ml, perfect for measuring pyro concentrates. 1ml is more than an inch in the pipette, very easy to measure. pyrocat HD or PMK in glycol from formulary is about the easiest and it lasts forever. Have two pipettes, one for each part of the concentrate, and don't mix them up to prevent cross-contam.

An inch, wow. That makes it sound rather foolproof. Thx

Fred L
20-Jan-2013, 17:36
Pipettes and the pumps are indeed great for small amounts. I use 10ml pipettes with a 10ml pump. fwiw, photobymike is selling pipettes (and possibly a pump) in the classifieds here.

As for developer, have you tried Rodinal ? Very good shelf life and a bottle could go a long way, esp at 1:50 or 1:100.

Gary Samson
20-Jan-2013, 17:48
I would also recommend Pyrocat and pipettes for your road trip. HP 5+ and Pyrocat are a great combination and although I like Rodinal for some films it will produce quite a bit of grain with HP 5+.

Tim k
20-Jan-2013, 18:15
Fred, and Gary
I just Googled the pipettes, problem solved. I have used syringes as my accurate little bitty measurement system, pipettes look way better.
Never tried rodinal, I was always put off by the grain thing, never actually seen it, just what I've read.

Fred L
20-Jan-2013, 18:24
yeah, guess I like the Rodinal grain with some films like APX 25 and 100 ;) Pyro in glycol would be what I'd be looking at if HC110 doesn't float your boat.

What size rv you travelling in ? We just went to an rv show in Toronto and there were some nice vehicles I could long term in, esp one on a Mercedes Benz chassis (not Sprinter) that had the hugest front window. Naturally, it was diesel.

Tim k
20-Jan-2013, 18:32
Fred we have a pretty big 5th wheel. But it doesn't take long to fill up, once we start cramming all our junk in.
Before you know it, them lil hills feel like mountains.
Maybe this is a good time to try some rodinal, but perhaps with a slower film?

Corran
20-Jan-2013, 22:12
Rodinal and T-Max or FP4 does well for me. For T-Max, 1:50 at 68F for 12.5 minutes with BTZS tubes is my N development.

jnantz
21-Jan-2013, 00:46
caffenol c, and it can be repurposed for your laundry/cleaning, morning coffee and vit c/ health

Brian C. Miller
21-Jan-2013, 01:07
You might try Sandy's formulation of pyro: Pyrocat HD In Glycol (http://stores.photoformulary.com/-strse-105/Pyrocat-HD-In-Glycol/Detail.bok). The chemicals are in glycol, so it has a longer shelf life. (I use PMK, which seems to last forever anyways.)

Tim k
21-Jan-2013, 06:46
Brian HD was the way I was leaning,

Tim k
21-Jan-2013, 06:48
caffenol c, and it can be repurposed for your laundry/cleaning, morning coffee and vit c/ health

I tried it once, just couldn't get past the smell

Tim k
21-Jan-2013, 06:54
Rodinal and T-Max or FP4 does well for me. For T-Max, 1:50 at 68F for 12.5 minutes with BTZS tubes is my N development.

Thanks Corran, I may pick up a bottle and try a few sheets.

jnantz
21-Jan-2013, 09:20
I tried it once, just couldn't get past the smell

yeah, i know what you mean .. that is why i stand develop EVERYTHING for about 30mins
and leave the room until it is done ...

how about d23 ? just 2 parts ..

john

BradS
21-Jan-2013, 21:16
yeah, I was thinking D23 too. It can even be mixed up as needed....no need to store the liquid solution at all.

Tim k
22-Jan-2013, 18:47
John, and Brad, I didn't find much on D23. I did find something from P Formulary, looked like a powder? But couldn't find much usage info. Care to elaborate just a wee bit. Looked to me like you mix up a liter of liquid, then use it prerty close to xtol dilutions? Am I close?

BradS
23-Jan-2013, 10:13
Tim,

Kodak D-23 is as follows:
750ml water at 50 degrees C
Metol 7.5g
Sodium sulfite 100g
water to make 1 liter

you can also do it with measuring sppons (as my journalist mother did):
2teaspoons metol
4 Tablespoons Sodium sulfite
1 quart of water

I use it straight but others dilute 1+1 or even 1+3
Ansel Adams wrote about the developer with fondness. If it was good enough for him, I figure it is good enough.

BradS
23-Jan-2013, 10:15
With no Hydroquinone, D23 is far less temperature sensitive than D76.

There are many other significant advantages too.

Tim k
23-Jan-2013, 15:47
With no Hydroquinone, D23 is far less temperature sensitive than D76.

There are many other significant advantages too.

I would love to hear what the other advantages are.