PDA

View Full Version : Mountainsmith to Release New Photo Backpack

Matt Long
23-Apr-2004, 14:19
I have just received confirmation that Mountainsmith is due to come out with a dedicated photo backpack in the near future. Could it be -- a real backpack specifically designed for photographers? We'll just have to wait and see! The following is the response from Mountainsmith as well as my initial inquiry:

"Subject: RE: Rumor of New Photo Backpack

Matt,

You have heard a true rumor! We have designed a camera line that should please all outdoor photographer enthusiasts. We have made various size cases and 3 backpack styles. They all come with water proof zippers. Our largest pack even comes with a rain cover. These packs and all the info on them will be released in June.

Katie Engelking

Mountainsmith 18301 W. Colfax Ave. Bldg. P Golden, CO 80401 P: (303) 279-5930 ext. 101 F: (303) 278-7739

-----Original Message----- From: Matt Long [mailto:mlong@ycsi.net] Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 3:06 PM To: Katie Engelking Subject: Rumor of New Photo Backpack

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a professional photographer living in Montana, and like most photographers, I have been looking for the ideal method of carrying my photographic equipment. Naturally, I was quite intrigued when I heard that Mountainsmith is planning to produce a dedicated photo backpack. Is this true or is this simply a rumor produced from wishful thinking?

Over the years, I have tried several different combinations for carrying my camera equipment -- mostly large format (4x5) gear. Probably the most widely used photo backpack is made by LowePro. However, these packs fall way short of meeting the needs of the professional photographer -- the suspensions are really nothing more than beefed-up waistbelts and shoulder straps similar to those found on an ordinary schoolbook pack. The dry weights of the LowePro packs are excessive (up to 12+ lbs.) and the layout of the interior dividers are limiting and lack any thought for those photographers who use medium and large format equipment.

If this is merely a rumor, please consider this message a suggestion for future product development. If Mountainsmith does intend to produce a photo backpack, I eagerly look forward to more information regarding a production and release date of such a product. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Regards,

Matthew D. Long Matt Long Photography"

Tom Westbrook
23-Apr-2004, 17:16
Thanks for the potentially good news. I love the harnesses on both the Mountainsmith Ghost and Auspex (the two MS packs I've used). I hope they settle on a similar harness for the photo packs.