PDA

View Full Version : Aero Ektar 24" f/6

fsibold
17-Jan-2013, 20:43
I'm not sure of the exact size of the image circle of the 24" f/6 Aero Ektar. One source on the web gives 576 mm and a 50 degree angle. Can somebody confirm this ? I would like to use such a lens to shoot portrait on a 11x14 camera.

Louis Pacilla
17-Jan-2013, 21:11
I'm not sure of the exact size of the image circle of the 24" f/6 Aero Ektar. One source on the web gives 576 mm and a 50 degree angle. Can somebody confirm this ? I would like to use such a lens to shoot portrait on a 11x14 camera.

At Portrait distance a 12" lens can easily cover 11x14.It would look like shit but it will cover.

While I don't own a 24"Aero Ektar I would think it should cover 11x14 at portrait distance just fine and is a great FL for 11x14 You'll have way more IC then you could ever want or need for a portrait.

Corran
17-Jan-2013, 21:56
Please be sure to post images if you get your setup running well. I hope you realize that lens is going to be monstrous.

C. D. Keth
17-Jan-2013, 22:08
Please be sure to post images if you get your setup running well. I hope you realize that lens is going to be monstrous.

...and approaching impossible to do a sharp portrait of a person. Make yourself a posing stand; you'll need it. At 6 feet wide open you'll have 15mm of total depth of field. Yes, that's millimeters and not centimeters.

jcoldslabs
18-Jan-2013, 01:40
...and approaching impossible to do a sharp portrait of a person.

I beg to differ. This was shot with a 24" f/6 B&L Aero Tessar (virtually the same lens). The negative is not tack sharp, but sharp enough for portraits. Since I've only ever used it for 8x10 I can't speak to the image circle, but conventional wisdom suggests that Tessars have image circles equivalent to their focal lengths, so a 24" image circle for this lens is probably in the ball park, especially at portrait distances.

Century 10A 8x10, 24" f/6 B&L Aero Tessar (wide open), T-Max 400

http://www.kolstad.us/ebay/24-Inch-B%26L-JW-01.jpg

Jonathan

Miguel Coquis
18-Jan-2013, 12:01
With a 750 mm f:6,3 mounted on tripod alone
then connected with camera covering with black tissue, even though there where unexpected light rays entering in the image !!!
long work to focus... but, can give interesting results, I guess

I have few portraits done with a Aero Ektar 12" f:2,5
It was really difficult to keep subject inside focus plane
But was not impossible.

rich815
18-Jan-2013, 13:18
Beautiful!!

C. D. Keth
18-Jan-2013, 13:58
Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word impossible, even thoughI said "approaching impossible." Those are very successful examples, especially yours Jonathan. Keep in mind, though, that on 11x14 he'll need to be half again closer in for that same frame. Difficult but no, not impossible.

fsibold
18-Jan-2013, 16:02
Thank you all for your answers and pictures. The camera is not yet build and the Aero Ektar is in the mail. I only have the 11x14 film holder, so it will take a while before I post a picture. I made a google search : there are some 8x10 pictures somebody took with a 24" aero ektar wide open on Flickr !

jcoldslabs
18-Jan-2013, 18:50
Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word impossible, even thoughI said "approaching impossible." Those are very successful examples, especially yours Jonathan. Keep in mind, though, that on 11x14 he'll need to be half again closer in for that same frame. Difficult but no, not impossible.

Chris: I didn't mean to come across as overly contrary. Sorry if I did. You're right, of course, that these lenses are big and heavy and difficult to work with. The photo above was taken at a friend's photo studio that has plenty of space for backing the camera up from the subject. There is no way I could have taken this shot at home in my living room as I do most others. Not only that, but it was taken at near full bellows extension on the Century which is around 35 inches, I think. To get a head and shoulders shot (on 8x10 alone) would take over 40+ inches of bellows draw!

Jonathan

David Lobato
18-Jan-2013, 19:54
The 11x14 diagonal is 457mm. Your lens will have plenty of coverage, especially at focused distances of 4-10 meters which expands the image circle. You will be using much of the camera's focus extension capability. Also realize you're working in 11x14 so be aware a bellows factor compensation for exposure is likely at typical portrait distances.

Paul Fitzgerald
19-Jan-2013, 09:31
"This was shot with a 24" f/6 B&L Aero Tessar (virtually the same lens). The negative is not tack sharp, but sharp enough for portraits."

I have the same lens and noticed that then took it apart for cleaning and saw that the rear cell elements had only a single drop of glue holding them together. Cleaned and re-cemented it's Tessar sharp, you might want to check. The rear cell is approx. 360/3.5 and very soft focus, need to stop down a bit to focus.

fsibold
19-Jan-2013, 09:59
Paul : In the lens I'll get, the two elements are apart, so it will be possible to test them on my 8x10 Bender.
David : the 11x14 will be a box camera, without bellows, build for portrait distance only.

Paul Fitzgerald
19-Jan-2013, 12:55
"Paul : In the lens I'll get, the two elements are apart, so it will be possible to test them on my 8x10 Bender."

the rear elements are intended to be cemented together, if they are air-spaced you should see concentric rainbows between the elements. Because they were military they may have been shipped almost assembled in case they 'fell off the truck', then cleaned and assembled at the air base. You could assemble it with a few drops of water between the glass to check it out.

It's a large, heavy lens I don't know if a Bender can hold it, you'll need approx. 36" of draw for portrait distance.

Have fun with it.