PDA

View Full Version : Weird new goings on -Art and Digital

Greg Blank
16-Jan-2013, 20:24
www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/01/what-van-goghs-famous-self-portrait-looks-like-as-a-photograph/267028/

Cletus
16-Jan-2013, 20:31
Whoa... Imagine that.

Bruce Watson
17-Jan-2013, 08:59
www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/01/what-van-goghs-famous-self-portrait-looks-like-as-a-photograph/267028/

Amazing what magazines like the Atlantic will publish these days, eh?

Drew Wiley
17-Jan-2013, 09:28
Stupid is as stupid does.

C. D. Keth
17-Jan-2013, 10:23
I suppose that's a tiny bit interesting as an illustration or retouching exercise but I see no real underlying value.

Drew Wiley
17-Jan-2013, 11:08
Now they should do the Mona Lisa thru a Holga.

Mike Anderson
17-Jan-2013, 11:55
Let's face it: impressionism is just laziness. It's about time someone start cleaning it up and making it more believable.

austin granger
18-Jan-2013, 10:10
As someone who has long been obsessed with Van Gogh, I find this pretty interesting. What strikes me most is how the intensity of that particular picture has been almost completely removed in the translation. I actually had a Van Gogh calender in my office last year and that self-portrait was one of the pictures. About midway through the month, my oldest son (he's ten) asked me very seriously if I would please take it down because it scared him. It really is an almost unbearable picture (I mean that as a compliment), but the 'photo' is well, just a photo.

Drew Wiley
18-Jan-2013, 10:43
Well if Van Gogh did want to take a blurry self-portrait with a camera, the technology
certainly existed back then. No need for a Holga or Fauxtoshop blur setting, or the necessity to rephotograph a bad web image on a monitor. Perhaps he preferred real lead
pigments because he could eat them; but he was probably a lot less insane than some
of these magazine editors.

Greg Blank
19-Jan-2013, 14:49
I enjoyed reading "Lust for Life" by Irving Stone, it presents a very interesting take on Van Gogh. But what was interesting for me with regard to this article is just how three dimensional the end result became and that the final product bears a rather striking similiarity to a friend. In my minds eye there is no doubt Van Gogh was a inovative artist. Some would argue the most influencial of his time-if not on all modern art.

CP Goerz
21-Jan-2013, 09:40
He has kinda taken a theory that David Hockney proposed(and produced a book on) in that the lens has used in art for hundreds of years before 'photography' was finally invented. More interesting I find is the recent supposition that Van Gogh didn't commit suicide but that he was murdered.