PDA

View Full Version : To Canadians, is your film okay when you buy it mail order from the US?

Vick Ko
16-Jan-2013, 20:16
To Canadians, is your film okay when you buy it mail order from the US?

Or other countries for that matter?

Any concerns with the delivery services scanning the film and fogging it?

regards
Vick

lbenac
16-Jan-2013, 20:26
I buy my film from B&H or from other forum members. It comes Purulator or USPS. Never had any problem so far. Touching wood.

Cheers,

luc

Fred L
16-Jan-2013, 20:37
No probs from Freestyle or B&H. Recently got a shipment of 8x10 Tri X from Keith Canham and there was a Kodak sticker on the box warning do not x-ray.

You had some probs Vick ?

Vick Ko
16-Jan-2013, 20:40
No problems, just ghosts in the dark.

Jody_S
16-Jan-2013, 21:07
No problems here.

Greg Y
16-Jan-2013, 21:08
Always good, from the view camera store, B&H, Adorama, Jim Andracki, Freestyle & Glazers. Never had a problem.

adelorenzo
16-Jan-2013, 21:16
Yup, I have ordered film from B&H and eBay without issue. Although I try to buy film in Canada when I can find it at a reasonable price.

jk0592
16-Jan-2013, 21:22
4x5, 120, all BW, always from B&H, never encountered a single problem. Delivery is fast, efficient, and predictable.

Ari
16-Jan-2013, 21:38
No problems here either, I am happy to report.
B&H, Freestyle, China, and forum members.

William D. Lester
17-Jan-2013, 08:37
Never had a problem so far and for what its worth, BH shipping to Canada has never been longer than 2 days since using their brokerage service.

Tony Evans
17-Jan-2013, 08:49
Perfect.

Andrew O'Neill
17-Jan-2013, 09:51
Never had a problem... even with xray film.

Ian Gordon Bilson
17-Jan-2013, 21:40
Not to hijack this thread- but could we open this up to the few Aussie/Kiwi members?
I have not had a problem so far (he said,hopefully),but ,if you have a Tale of Woe,please lets hear it..

Vick Ko
17-Jan-2013, 22:47
Thanks all, for your replies.

It reassures me a lot.

I only posted my question because someone in Singapore was worried about buying film that needed shipping.

regards
Vick

photobymike
18-Jan-2013, 07:26
I buy my film from B&H or from other forum members. It comes Purulator or USPS. Never had any problem so far. Touching wood.

Cheers,

luc

I buy mine from B&H all the time.... i would never have it shipped by USPS (post office) Always i ship with FEDEX overnight .... why do i pay extra? because Florida is a warm...ok ok its darn right hot at times ... I dont want my film to sit in a truck cooking...... Also do you know that the post office Xrays everything? They use comercial airplanes to move mail ..... Xrays = safety in there minds.... FEDEX !!! is the best

Joseph O'Neil
18-Jan-2013, 07:33
I get my Ilford form Bigcameraworkshops in Burlington to begin with, so that's not an issue. however the Tri-X i get all comes from B&H and never an issue with them. fast and in good shape. Here in Canada Tri-X is special order and 60% more in price. go figure?
:(

redrockcoulee
18-Jan-2013, 07:40
I have bought from Freestyle and B&H with no problem but also my mail from Beau Photo in Vancouver and Bigcameraworkshops. Film is extrememly limited in Medicine Hat to only what London Drugs carries so if I do not go into Calgary, and why would anyone unless they have to :) , I have to order on line. Just wished B&H would ship by mail as it is so much less expensive on taxes and brokerage fees. And their 2 to 6 business days is about 6 days

I have also sold Technical Pan film in bulk on line and never received complaints about it from customers and that was shipping from Alberta to the US.

WayneStevenson
18-Jan-2013, 09:19
I have never had problems with film from U.S.A., Singapore, H.K., or China.

adelorenzo
18-Jan-2013, 09:21
I get my Ilford form Bigcameraworkshops in Burlington to begin with, so that's not an issue. however the Tri-X i get all comes from B&H and never an issue with them. fast and in good shape. Here in Canada Tri-X is special order and 60% more in price. go figure?
:(

I bought my last 40 rolls of Tri-X from Beau Photo in Vancouver. When I ordered in the fall it was $5.26/roll of 120 and B&H is currently charging $4.95.

DougD
18-Jan-2013, 10:15
I have used B&H and not had a problem. As noted in the previous message, it is worth comparison shopping with some local dealers. Beau is a very good shop.

Ari
18-Jan-2013, 11:21
I bought my last 40 rolls of Tri-X from Beau Photo in Vancouver. When I ordered in the fall it was $5.26/roll of 120 and B&H is currently charging $4.95.

Roll film is a different animal entirely.
A local store has 4x5 sheet film, and it runs about $50 per box of 10 sheets (all emulsions); the same film costs $30 in the US.

onnect17
18-Jan-2013, 16:33
Ok Ari, next box I will charge a "canada fee"! Just kidding..... ;)
Actually, I learned last time, I can ship a 8x10 box with 25 sheets via First Class to Canada for 7 or 8 bucks. Unfortunately is not available online, you have to do it in the post office, god knows why.

The USPS monopoly is sort of misleading, not showing all the options available by default, only the more expensive ones. I hope some day, SOME DAY, I will witness the same fate, when AT&T got splitted.