PDA

View Full Version : Gundlach Radar Anastigmat F4.5 8x10 Lense

junbug75
15-Jan-2013, 21:24
Hi,

Just got a new 8x10 (B&J Commerical View) and it came with a Gundlach Radar Anastigmat F4.5 8x10 lens in a Betax No.5 shutter. Two questions:

1. The T and B seems to only work sporadically. The other shutter speeds seem off. Is the shutter serviceable and is it worth it?
2. I was wondering if the lens is complete. I see a front element (screwed onto the shutter front) and a rear element (screwed onto the back of the shutter). Could it be missing anything?

Pic attached.

Just trying to learn about these fascinating older lens.

Thanks for any insight!

J

BrianShaw
16-Jan-2013, 07:33
Looks complete to me. Sticking like you describe is likely just a need for a god servicing -- clean out the goop, etc. If it were mine I'd send it out ASAP. I use a 5x7 Radar and like it alot.

thomasfallon
16-Jan-2013, 08:15
Looks complete to me. Sticking like you describe is likely just a need for a god servicing -- clean out the goop, etc. If it were mine I'd send it out ASAP. I use a 5x7 Radar and like it alot.

I did not know god was in the business. How is his customer service?

E. von Hoegh
16-Jan-2013, 08:17
i did not know god was in the business. How is his customer service?
rotfl!

E. von Hoegh
16-Jan-2013, 08:19
Hi,

Just got a new 8x10 (B&J Commerical View) and it came with a Gundlach Radar Anastigmat F4.5 8x10 lens in a Betax No.5 shutter. Two questions:

1. The T and B seems to only work sporadically. The other shutter speeds seem off. Is the shutter serviceable and is it worth it?
2. I was wondering if the lens is complete. I see a front element (screwed onto the shutter front) and a rear element (screwed onto the back of the shutter). Could it be missing anything?

Pic attached.

Just trying to learn about these fascinating older lens.

Thanks for any insight!

J

I don't see a flange, did you get one?

BrianShaw
16-Jan-2013, 08:40
rotfl!

amen. :o

SergeiR
16-Jan-2013, 11:55
You couldnt ask for the better portrait lens to start 8x10-ing with.
(ok, you probably could, but it will be in price range of thousands).

junbug75
16-Jan-2013, 14:15
Thanks for the all the feedback everybody. Much appreciated!

I unscrewed it from the custom made flange that came with the camera.

I think I'm going to get the shutter serviced and see how it goes! Anybody have experience shooting color with this lens? Seen a lot of b&w.

Thanks again!

BrianShaw
16-Jan-2013, 14:51
Yes, color. Most of my work with my Radar is with E-6. The lens handles color just as gracefully as it handles B&W. To be honest, the first time I shot color I was shocked at how nice it was... I was expecting less for some odd reason.

junbug75
16-Jan-2013, 15:08
Fantastic. Getting some Portra and some holders this weekend. I'll try and post once I get them scanned.

Thanks again!

E. von Hoegh
17-Jan-2013, 08:14
The Radar is similar to a Tessar, it has three elements (instead of two) in the rear cemented group.

BrianShaw
17-Jan-2013, 09:27
.. and it can see through clothing.