PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Burke and James 8x10

junbug75
14-Jan-2013, 16:05
Hi!

Just got a new 8x10 Burke and James (been shooting for about two years with a Zone VI 4x5) and had some questions about maintenance of a camera like this. Thanks in advance for any insight!

1. Knobs and rail feel a little sticky and tough to tighten. Any suggestions on lubricating moving parts? I'm more worried about the knobs.

2. Has anybody used this camera/weight combo (about 17lbs with the Gundlach Radar 12"/Betax #5) with the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 tripod legs? I currently have it on there but not sure how long it will last. I have Bogen 3047 head that I'm hoping to replace with the 3039 head.

3. Anybody have any good experiences with a Gundlach Radar 12" with a Betax #5 shutter? I'm a newbie to these older large format lenses and shutters. Shutter seems to be working fine but thinking about a CLA. Worth it?

Thanks again for any insight and time!

J

Michael Clark
14-Jan-2013, 18:36
About the B&J, they are a little on the crude side and basic, the focusing is a little hard but are built well and can take a lot of punishment. I have the 5x7 model and like it, just have to get past the shaky part. I see yours is black, looks better than the battleship grey I have. I would not advise lubricating anything for fear of gumming up the works.

Mike

goamules
14-Jan-2013, 19:08
Screw threads and gears are all about the same. Maybe the B&J are not "precision cut" or something, but if things are tight, it needs lube somewhere. I would consider some beeswax or lemon pledge along the tracks of the rails, if the focus is tight. tightening knob difficulty could just need a drop of oil on the threads, or check that the shafts are clear to pull through their tracks when you tighten. You should be able to make a B&J work like a Deardorff.

junbug75
14-Jan-2013, 19:22
Just read about Pedro's Ice Wax on an earlier thread I just found. The knobs just feel hard to tighten down fully. I'm wondering if it's just the nature of the hardware. The texture of knob itself is a bit painful too. :) Good to hear that it can "work like a Deardorff"!

Mark Sawyer
14-Jan-2013, 19:42
Just read about Pedro's Ice Wax on an earlier thread I just found. The knobs just feel hard to tighten down fully. I'm wondering if it's just the nature of the hardware. The texture of knob itself is a bit painful too. :) Good to hear that it can "work like a Deardorff"!

If I'm interpreting you right, the knobs don't "tighten down". There are little friction levers that act like brake pedals behind the knobs. Push them down, the focusing is locked, lift them up, the focus knobs roll relatively freely.

Great cameras, sturdily built with lots of movements!

junbug75
14-Jan-2013, 19:52
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the reply! The lock brakes work fine. The knobs I'm talking about are the front standard swing knob (single knob) and the rear standard rise and fall knobs (four total - two on each side). I don't see washers on them and it doesn't seem like their designed to have washers either. Again, looks like thats just the nature of the hardware on this particlular camera. I guess I'm just used to my Zone VI 4x5 which has a little more elegant hardware. :)

Pete Watkins
15-Jan-2013, 01:10
If you think that it needs washers use washers. I've used both copper and fiber washers where I thought they would improve things on my 5x7 and they worked. A lot of people knock these cameras but I think that mine's great, it does all I ask it to. Who needs more?
Pete.

junbug75
15-Jan-2013, 20:07
Thanks for all the feedback!

SMBooth
16-Jan-2013, 14:47
Junbug, I know exactly what you mean, the round knurled locking knobs are hard to get leverage to fully tighten the rear and front swing. I intend to get different lobe knobs for these point which will allow me to get a better grip. Something like this http://www.directindustry.com/prod/rencol/lobe-knobs-15891-277635.html
I use mine on a 055 tripod too but with a rather large 65mm ballhead or no head at all. I think the 055 and basic head is pushing the friendship a bit for this camera.

junbug75
16-Jan-2013, 15:25
Oooohh...those knobs look nice! Let me know how that goes! I would love to replace what I can.

You know, I just got a Bogen 3039 head and 3251 legs. MUCH heavier but I think I can sleep at night with this setup. ;)

junbug75
16-Jan-2013, 15:31
Curious does your B&J commerical view have a washer on the front swing knob? Mine does.

SMBooth
16-Jan-2013, 16:01
Yes there a washer, just stops the wear and tear to the top chrome plate.