PDA

View Full Version : So freaking pissed right now

Shootar401
13-Jan-2013, 22:50
:mad: So I just finished up a photo shoot with a gorgeous model, I shot my last 12 sheets of Provia with her. Along with a few rolls of Delta 400.

Anyway I get the film loaded in the racks and start developing only to notice 30 seconds in that I'm dipping it in the color developer first and not the 1st developer. WTF! I turn the lights on and say F-it, I'm going to bed. I've never done anything that stupid in the darkroom before. Now I need to buy another box and try to re shoot her.

I assume that the film was ruined even before I switched on the lights?

Daniel Stone
13-Jan-2013, 23:41
idk about color dev before 1st dev, I use a lab(so I can blame them if they mess it up ;), but not solely for that reason)

Have fun with a re-shoot. Just tell her that she needs to really stress it this time, last time wasn't good. And because she didn't give her best, she needs to be willing to work for free :)

jk of course

-Dan

Gary Tarbert
14-Jan-2013, 00:16
I Know how you feel , Not that that i had a model to rehire , But after 30years of doing my own black and white , i cross contaminated some chemicals , and got 12 blank sheets of Acros . Cheers Gary

Cletus
14-Jan-2013, 06:14
Oh yeah. Nothing like realizing you blew an entire shoot because of some totally avoidable mistake. Been there done that. I guess it's part of growing as a photographer. You'll do stuff like that less and less as time goes on and your experience level goes up.

Was your film ruined within that first 30 seconds? I don't know. Does it really matter now? You probably won't ever make that mistake again and it only cost you one lost shoot to learn the lesson! :)

Sevo
14-Jan-2013, 06:28
If you used a three to five bath process, with a colour developer with integral fogging agent, the results would have been black throughout, and tossing was the proper reaction. In a older (six plus step) process with light exposure step or separate fogging "reversal" bath, omitting the first developer and exposure/fogging stages and starting at the colour dev step gives high contrast contrast cross processed (unmasked CN) results.

Pfiltz
14-Jan-2013, 06:49
Sorry about that. Nothing that big for me yet, but just last week, I was wondering, if I had film in one of my film holders... Yep, I pulled the dark slide out, while standing in the middle of the studio, with all the lights on.

BTW, there was film in it...

DUH?

Sal Santamaura
14-Jan-2013, 09:03
When 14 years old (a loooong time ago), I decided to give color developing a try. An exposed roll of 127 Anscochrome was loaded into an FR tank and the chemistry mixed. As I started pouring liquid into the tank, my 12 year old sister, who was watching, asked "doesn't the first developer go before the color developer?" :mad:

Within a couple of seconds, I'd poured the color developer back into its container and put first developer in the tank, continuing correctly through the rest of the process. When all was said and done, I had slides which looked good, except everywhere that was supposed to be yellow was pink instead. Pink flames on a birthday cake's candles.

That was my first and last go at color developing. I concluded that it would be better to find and pay a competent lab than mess up the film myself. Black and white is where I've done my darkroom work ever since.

BrianShaw
14-Jan-2013, 12:10
Next time hire a homely model rather than a georgeous model. That way you might have less disappointment if there is another darkroom error.

E. von Hoegh
14-Jan-2013, 13:27
:mad: So I just finished up a photo shoot with a gorgeous model, I shot my last 12 sheets of Provia with her. Along with a few rolls of Delta 400.

Anyway I get the film loaded in the racks and start developing only to notice 30 seconds in that I'm dipping it in the color developer first and not the 1st developer. WTF! I turn the lights on and say F-it, I'm going to bed. I've never done anything that stupid in the darkroom before. Now I need to buy another box and try to re shoot her.

I learned in similar fashion never to go into the darkroom (or do anything else requiring methodical, thoughtful work or that must be done properly the first/only time) when I am tired, excited, have had anything to drink, or am otherwise distracted.
Just be thankful it wasn't a wedding. And that the Provia was 4x5, not 8x10.

Shootar401
14-Jan-2013, 21:13
Well I texted the model and told her that I had an incident while developing. We both laughed and pitched some ideas to each other. We're going to spend all day next Saturday driving around doing different outdoor locations and come back here to shoot some studio stuff.

I already have 20 sheets of Provia on order as well as a 50 sheet box of 4x5 Arista that I plan on blowing though that day. And I won't make the same mistake twice.

I'm glad I didn't pull out 5x7 Speed and shoot my last 4 sheets of EPR like I wanted to. We all know that CANNOT be replaced.

Dan Henderson
16-Jan-2013, 10:40
Well I texted the model and told her that I had an incident while developing. We both laughed and pitched some ideas to each other. We're going to spend all day next Saturday driving around doing different outdoor locations and come back here to shoot some studio stuff.

I already have 20 sheets of Provia on order as well as a 50 sheet box of 4x5 Arista that I plan on blowing though that day. And I won't make the same mistake twice.

I'm glad I didn't pull out 5x7 Speed and shoot my last 4 sheets of EPR like I wanted to. We all know that CANNOT be replaced.

So now you get to spend another day with a gorgeous model. Wish my bad luck was this good!

But seriously, E. Von Hough's advice is well heeded. Photography is part science and part art. The science part should never be attempted when there is anything that can divert your total attention and concentration to the work at hand.

SergeiR
16-Jan-2013, 12:14

Nope, it wasnt ruined.. It just makes for really realy weird effect ;) Its like almost negative (3 baths, rights?) but not quite..

D-tach
16-Jan-2013, 12:36
I already have 20 sheets of Provia on order as well as a 50 sheet box of 4x5 Arista that I plan on blowing though that day.

70 sheets on one day!? When I do portraits after +- 3 hours they loose their focus and concentration - then again, they're not professional models :-) I end up with like 6-8 sheets in that time

Sevo
16-Jan-2013, 13:11
Nope, it wasnt ruined.. It just makes for really realy weird effect ;) Its like almost negative (3 baths, rights?) but not quite..

Not in this case. In full E6 versions (whether with extra reversal bath or exposure), starting with the colour developer would have resulted in a high contrast overexposed negative. Compact kits, like the one the OP seems to have used, mix the reversal bath fogging agent with the colour developer - missing the first developer there results in a all-black film (just as merely missing the first, and exposing or running the film through the reversal bath of a full E6 process would do).