PDA

View Full Version : Blue cast on velvia.

Paul White
21-Apr-2004, 09:49
I recently shot a portrait on velvia, with the sun fully out at the front of the house late one afternoon. I took my subject round to the back of the house in the shade to shoot the portrait. When the film was processed (as I usaually process velvia) there was a considerable blue cast on the film. Any Ideas how this can happen, and how to avoid it happening in future?

Regards

Paul

Ralph Barker
21-Apr-2004, 10:18
The blue cast likely came from the big softbox you were using, Paul - that big expanse of blue sky. You might consider using a warming filter to counteract the predominance of blue light.

David Karp
21-Apr-2004, 10:41
Ralph is probably right. In shadows, light tends toward the bluer (colder) end of the spectrum. Tiffen makes a filter, #812, that is supposed to be designed for this very application - portraits in outdoor shadows.

Peter Witkop
21-Apr-2004, 11:39
Velvia is also a rather contrasty film, so the blue cast will be more pronounced than in something like Astia, or NPH. I use either an 81B or 81C depending on the situation, near a warm colored building, the 81B is just a little on the strong side (though easily fine tuned to correct color in post production), otherwise the 81C is ussually just about right. Never tried the Tiffen filter, sounds like a good idea to tune a product to that specific use, it's a pretty common thing to have to deal with.

Peter

Paul White
22-Apr-2004, 04:34
Ralph, Dave and Peter, Many thanks for your informative replies. I too, like the sound of the tiffen filter and will be buying one at the earliest opportunity. I will give Astia a try too.

Thanks again

David Karp
22-Apr-2004, 08:57
Paul,

Check out this website:

http://www.tiffen.com/Filter_&_Lens_Brochure/BFILT_14_15.htm

Look for info on the 812.