PDA

View Full Version : RR, Aplanat for portrait

mylek
12-Jan-2013, 07:59
I'll like to know how will behave an Aplanat or RR lens compare to a commercial ektar for portraiture?

I have a some of them but i'm looking for a commercial ektar and i'm wondering apart from being able to use the lens with a shutter if the rendering is really different.

Regards!

Jon Wilson
12-Jan-2013, 08:48
I think one can make some very nice images with an aplanat or RR lens. Here is an image I made in Ely, NV at the old train repair shop. Not sure if anyone else would like it, but it suits me. Trying them out is your best way to determine how they work for you. Happy hunting. Jon

Steven Tribe
13-Jan-2013, 13:04
Look for Voigtländer Euryscope, Dallmeyer RR, Suter Aplanat and Busch Portrait Aplanat in the monthly Portrait image threads!
Better to see than read about.

What size do you shot?

Emil Schildt
13-Jan-2013, 14:39
these two portraits are made using a 540mm Hermagis Aplanat lens on 16x20" paper negative.

I don't use these lenses as much as I should! For some reason they are somewhat neglected - maybe because there's so many of them... and the prices are - or can be - low...

Maybe we tend to think an expensive lens is better than an lesser expensive one?

mylek
13-Jan-2013, 15:38
Thanks for your comments! The situation is the other way.

I was looking at the Commercial Ektar that were for sale on this forum and i was wondering how portraits made with these lenses were compare to the ones done with the Aplanat, Euryscop as i'm looking to be able to use something with a shutter.
I own a Hermagis Aplanat #5 & 6 and an Euryscop IV #3. I'm starting with LF on a 5x7 and i don't shoot much with them because there is no shutter on my lenses and i'm using some Bergger BPFB-18 but i'll like to be able to move to FP4+.

Steven Tribe
14-Jan-2013, 04:00
Exchange your Euryscop IV no. 3 for a no. 2 which fits a Copal 3 thread perfectly. It is possible the no. 3 might fit as well!

E. von Hoegh
14-Jan-2013, 12:32
To answer the OP's question, a RR/Aplanat will give a very sharp central zone with astigmatism/spherical aberration softening the image as the edges and corners are approached. If the lens is long for the format you'll be using only the sharp central zone.
The Commercial Ektar is a Tessar type and behaves as most Tessars do; very slightly soft in the corners wide open, becoming very sharp overall when stopped down a bit.

BrianShaw
14-Jan-2013, 12:40
12 inch Kodak Commercial Ektar portrait:

I'll post a portrait taken with a Bausch & Lomb RR if I can get my scanner to behave (which isn't likely). The RR is much crisper than I had hoped for so I stopped using it.

E. von Hoegh
14-Jan-2013, 12:50
12 inch Kodak Commercial Ektar portrait:

I'll post a portrait taken with a Bausch & Lomb RR if I can get my scanner to behave (which isn't likely). The RR is much crisper than I had hoped for so I stopped using it.

Yes, The RR/Aplanat lenses are surprisingly good. I used a 24" B&L on 8x10 and I really have trouble telling the contacts from those made with a Dagor. They have very nice contrast, too.